Parents won't let me buy GTA V.

refinedskillz

Hey everyone, this is a very awkward question to ask, but im stuck on ideas ATM. So i'm 16 right, and i want to play GTA V (Steam) for two reasons 1. I LOVE the online freemode update 2. There is a huge car modding/drifting community on there, and i'm into that kind of stuff. It's half price on steam now, so i'm thinking me and my brother could get a copy and both play, i've told my mum that i will only play online and i only want to do car modding and stuff, and before the summer holidays i asked her if i could have it. She said she would "think" about it, but when i came back she said no. I don't know what to say anymore, I can't play any games apart from online ones because I only find them fun. Tekkit is the only thing i play ATM, and i'm getting really bored, plus i'm getting a new PC, so another reason to buy the game. Any kind of suggestions will help. I've even gone as far as saying i will pay, but my mum hates it when i say that so i'm not really going to push on that idea.

Ryzen 5 1600 - GTX 980 Ti - Broke.

Hey everyone, this is a very awkward question to ask, but im stuck on ideas ATM. So im 16 right, and i want to play GTA V (Steam) for two reasons 1. I LOVE the online freemode update 2. There is a huge car modding/drifting community on there, and i' into that kind of stuff. It's half price on steam now, so im thinking me and my brother could get a copy and both play, i've told my mum that i will only play online and i only want to do car modding and stuff, and b4 the summer holidays i asked her if i could have it. She said she would "think" about it, but when i came back she said no. Idk what to say anymore, I can't play any games apart from online ones because I only find them fun. Tekkit is the only thing i play ATM, and im getting really bored, plus im getting a new PC, so another reason to buy the game. Any kind of suggestions will help. I've even gone as far as saying i will pay, but my mum hates it when i say that so im not really going to push on that idea.

Your parents are right to be concerned.  GTA has many "adult" themes that they might prefer to teach you the hard way, instead of learning from a PC game.

Put it down to Mom wanting to protect you, and leave it at that.  Just ask yourself if you'd like to play the game if she were a passenger in your car, lol.

There is so much other non-controversial stuff out there that you don't need to obsess over that.  I get that it's fun to be a rebel, but ... rebels usually die young  :P

Don't die young, the only thing worse is being permanently disabled young...

- Pete

Folding For Linus since July 2015

I for one agree with your parents to an extent

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Hey everyone, this is a very awkward question to ask, but im stuck on ideas ATM. So i'm 16 right, and i want to play GTA V (Steam) for two reasons 1. I LOVE the online freemode update 2. There is a huge car modding/drifting community on there, and i'm into that kind of stuff. It's half price on steam now, so i'm thinking me and my brother could get a copy and both play, i've told my mum that i will only play online and i only want to do car modding and stuff, and before the summer holidays i asked her if i could have it. She said she would "think" about it, but when i came back she said no. I don't know what to say anymore, I can't play any games apart from online ones because I only find them fun. Tekkit is the only thing i play ATM, and i'm getting really bored, plus i'm getting a new PC, so another reason to buy the game. Any kind of suggestions will help. I've even gone as far as saying i will pay, but my mum hates it when i say that so i'm not really going to push on that idea.

Just wait! I am 15 so nearly 16 and I can play any game I want and watch any film I want but every parent is different! My parents are so relaxed they have never even shouted at all!!! Just wait 2 years and then you will be able to! GTA 6 maybe out by then!!! For now enjoy the 16 rated games like Titanfall and other mainly online games!!!

Being 15 I do have to say GTA is strong at times and I can see why your parents may not like it if they have look online!!! It does have a lot of adult themes in it as with all GTA games and is definatley an 18 for reasons other than gore mate!

Good luck! 

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

let here see a gta v video on youtube of your favorite youtubers how plays that but respect your parents decision

My Rig  i5 4690k/ Msi Gaming 5/Gtx 970/WD Blue 1tb/Corsair H100i/Nzxt Noctis 450

You're 16 so

1) Get out and do some work

2) Purchase Game

3) Enjoy

My Build: Phoenix

Processor: Intel i7 4770k, Motherboard: Asus Z97-P RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB GPU: MSI GTX 1050TI OC Case: Corsair ICUE 4000X, Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB + 500GB + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM750, Cooling: Corsair H100i Capellix, 

If you want to talk to me or give me an answer, please tag me otherwise you'll be talking to thin air ❤️

Game rated 18. You are 16. She's absolutely right.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Did she give any reasons for saying no?

No

No

All the reasons she needs are on the box

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

No

I think best for you to understand and give it up is to ask her the reason why she's not allowing you to play. It may seem obvious but it's still better for you to hear it from her. Maybe you'll settle with her decision after that.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X | MOBO: Gigabyte B550 Vision D | RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision D | PSU: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W

The beauty of steam is that you can buy the game yourself without ID or anything. I completely sympathise with you, mate. Been through all that (for me it was COD MW2).

Save up, buy a steam voucher or use your debit card and buy it. Parents generally can't tell Crysis from Minecraft.

Man is still the most extraordinary computer of all.

John F. Kennedy

Game rated 18. You are 16. She's absolutely right.

She allowed me saints row 3 and 4, bf4 and 3, AND Cod ghosts and AW. Why not this? Im even restricting it to online only, and ive played online tons before. Plus, she seems to be interested with what im playing sometimes.

Say it's for a different game, Get money on your steam account. Buy it behind her back.

TheGrim123321

CPU: I3-4170Cooler: Hyper TX3Mobo:Biostar B85MGMemory: G.Skill Ripjaw 2x4GBStorage: Barracuda 500GBGPU: Zotac GTX660Case: Fractal 1100PSU: Evga 500WMonitors: FHX2153L 21.5"│V193WEJb 19"Keyboard/Mouse: CMStorm DevastorAudio: MonoPrice 8323Microphone: BlueYeti BlackoutOS: MSX(Win10) Quote me or @TheGrim123321 to get my attention.

I think you're too young to play the game if you're on this forum complaining about how you don't agree with your parent's decision.

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

just go into a local shop and steal a physical copy

as Curt Cobain once said:

https://youtu.be/FklUAoZ6KxY?t=1m6s

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

She allowed me saints row 3 and 4, bf4 and 3, AND Cod ghosts and AW. Why not this? Im even restricting it to online only, and ive played online tons before. Plus, she seems to be interested with what im playing sometimes.

Your life must suck to be so restricted

TheGrim123321

CPU: I3-4170Cooler: Hyper TX3Mobo:Biostar B85MGMemory: G.Skill Ripjaw 2x4GBStorage: Barracuda 500GBGPU: Zotac GTX660Case: Fractal 1100PSU: Evga 500WMonitors: FHX2153L 21.5"│V193WEJb 19"Keyboard/Mouse: CMStorm DevastorAudio: MonoPrice 8323Microphone: BlueYeti BlackoutOS: MSX(Win10) Quote me or @TheGrim123321 to get my attention.

Mate, you act like paying for it yourself is a big deal.

If you think so then you probably don't deserve it, I just bought the Game myself without asking mine because if they dont knwo i have it then there is no problem.

They've seen me playing it and they think it looks really good. (i'm 14 btw)

You're 16, you dont need your mom to buy stuff for you.

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

There may be a bit of peer pressure, "refinedskillz is a wimp he hasn't even got GTA V".

Your school friends will pass by the wayside, in twenty years or so you will struggle to even remember their names, but your parents are forever.

She is only looking out for you do what she says.

The quick and simple rule is this. Are you old enough to buy the game? If not then you are not old enough to play the game.

Getting your mum to buy the game because the shop wont sell it to you is pretty damn close to hanging around outside the corner shop "hay mister get us a couple of cans of lager/cider/electric soup here is the money".

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Mate, you act like paying for it yourself is a big deal.

If you think so then you probably don't deserve it, I just bought the Game myself without asking mine because if they dont knwo i have it then there is no problem.

They've seen me playing it and they think it looks really good.

She gets angry whenever i say i will pay myself, i can afford it.

Pirate it. i don't want to be a hypocrite and  say you shouldn't be playing a M rated game when you are 16 when everyone on this forum HAS played a game that's rated 18 when they were not. so no i won't say listen to your parents. Note : just becasue i say pirated it doesn't mean you should and not encouraging others to do so. if you do it. it's on your own consciousness. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Ok, I'll wade in a little deeper.  First, I don't think video games are the cause of the downfall of civilization.  BUT I do remember when my little brother started playing GTA when he was 15 or 16 (don't remember the version, it was a while ago, though).  He had a lot of fun, and spent a lot of time playing it.  But I also noticed that he was not the same kid he was before he started playing the game.  Maybe a little more jaded, a little more cynical and insensitive.  He would laugh at cruel jokes that he didn't laugh at before.  Maybe it was the game, maybe not.  

That may be a part of growing up, but if it were up to me, I would much rather have had him develop his attitude from REAL life experiences than a video game.  At least his attitude would have developed from real examples of what it is like to interact with normal people, not some game developers vision of a cold, callous, and threatening world.

So - did it cripple him behaviorally?  Probably not.  But it did seem to set him back and alienate him.  

Just my two cents.  You may be better at resisting such temptations, but then, some things cannot be unseen or unlearned.

- Pete

Folding For Linus since July 2015