Parents won't let me buy GTA V.

refinedskillz

I was watching and playing Resident Evil back in 97 aged 7 years old, cant tell you the fear it put in me, I wanted to go toilet sometimes and was that scared from leaving the room would either run real quick with adrenaline pumping or piss myself. I had abusive parents though which made all this amplified instead of trivial.

Your mums decision is fine, respect her.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

Throw you out. Deaf and dumb treatment. Not buy you 'trendy' clothes. Not sign 'permision' slips for school trips. Not...

I doubt any parent would throw you out. As for other possibilities you will have to decide for yourself whats more important

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

I doubt any parent would throw you out. As for other possibilities you will have to decide for yourself whats more important

The question was what COULD she do not what she was likely to do.

As for your picking what's more important, I doubt many would pick playing a game (that they can legaly get in a couple of years anyway) over the &*&* a parent CAN [1]dish out.

[1] Ever been met at the school gates at 16 with a "how was mummy's little darling's day then" and a big peck on the cheek?.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Hey everyone, this is a very awkward question to ask, but im stuck on ideas ATM. So i'm 16 right, and i want to play GTA V (Steam) for two reasons 1. I LOVE the online freemode update 2. There is a huge car modding/drifting community on there, and i'm into that kind of stuff. It's half price on steam now, so i'm thinking me and my brother could get a copy and both play, i've told my mum that i will only play online and i only want to do car modding and stuff, and before the summer holidays i asked her if i could have it. She said she would "think" about it, but when i came back she said no. I don't know what to say anymore, I can't play any games apart from online ones because I only find them fun. Tekkit is the only thing i play ATM, and i'm getting really bored, plus i'm getting a new PC, so another reason to buy the game. Any kind of suggestions will help. I've even gone as far as saying i will pay, but my mum hates it when i say that so i'm not really going to push on that idea.

Don't you have a job? I doubt she would even care if you were spending your own money.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1231 V3 3.4ghz CPU COOLER: Cryorig H7 w/ Red Corsair SP120mm  MOBO: MSI SLI Krait Edition Z170 MEMORY: G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb (2x4) Storage: Kingston V300 120gb, WD 1TB GPU: MSI R9 390X CASE: Phantom 410 (ew) PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Modular 550w CASE FANS: 4 CORSAIR SP120mm MONITOR: LG 25UM67 KEYBOARD: Das4 Ultimate Cherry MX Blue MOUSE: Deathadder Chroma Left-Handed AUDIO: Sennheiser HD598 Black, Astro A40s

The question was what COULD she do not what she was likely to do.

As for your picking what's more important, I doubt many would pick playing a game (that they can legaly get in a couple of years anyway) over the &*&* a parent CAN [1]dish out.

[1] Ever been met at the school gates at 16 with a "how was mummy's little darling's day then" and a big peck on the cheek?.

I couldn't wait for something for a couple of YEARS

I couldn't wait for something for a couple of YEARS

Seriously.  You would risk the ire of your parents just so you could play one game?

"This too shall pass"

Hey everyone, this is a very awkward question to ask, but im stuck on ideas ATM. So i'm 16 right, and i want to play GTA V ... i've told my mum ... She said she would "think" about it, but when i came back she said no. I don't know what to say anymore, I can't play any games apart from online ones because I only find them fun....

Wait, what? You are claiming that you are 16 years old? Sorry but I am confused, you see when I was that age, many many years ago, I did whatever the hell I liked and had been doing so for years prior. At that age I was already in full time employment and had left school a year prior (I had also worked for the latter years of my school life).

Not to be rude but there must be a rather large gulf between our respective maturity levels at the age in question?

I've even gone as far as saying i will pay, but my mum hates it when i say that so i'm not really going to push on that idea.

Perhaps it is not all your fault though (it's rarely the child at fault) but perhaps due to a certain amount of 'coddling'. Evidentially you don't live on your own yet either... But do you work and pay your share of the bills?

Any kind of suggestions will help.

Yes... grow up and establish yourself...  :blink:

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

@ Nuluvius

He's sixteen so can't legaly buy the game. Not saying he shouldn't just that  legaly he can't.

Sixteen I was still at school, eighteen I was still at school, twenty one I was still in full time education, so what if you had left school prior to sixteen?  His situation is different to mine and yours.

Oh and in one line you're telling him to grow up and yet in another you are saying he is a child .

"This too shall pass"

Seriously.  You would risk the ire of your parents just so you could play one game?

Yeah if I could play with with no or a little BS from my parents (e.g. you have to stop at 21h), then yeah I would go for that

Always listen to your parents,

You could save up some money, and go to (i'm assuming UK based?) PcWorld and purchase a steam voucher, then you can buy it

But you should be listening to your mum

I was 17 when my parents allowed me to get GTA IV for PC. It was inevitable that given what I do, I would be looking into what GTA does as a gaming franchise, so I asked if I could get it. They agreed, though since this was at GAME, they had to purchase it for me, since by law you have to prove with ID that you are above the age at which the game is rated if you look younger than it.

As for your parents, it's entirely understandable; the position they are in is based on media portrayal of a very VERY notorious franchise that whilst popular is often used as a scapegoat for many a murderer, bankrobber and homicidal maniac. As far as the media are concerned, it should be vilified whenever mention of it goes around.

I would advise you ask her straight up what the issue is with you wanting GTA V.

wtf, saints row 3 and 4? has sexual content,violence ect. idk why gta 5 is different

Two reasons:

1. Saints Row The Third and Saints Row IV are both more cartoony than GTA, which is just straight up grit and cynicism at times.

2. Saints Row hasn't kicked up as much as a stink (not even nearly as much) as what GTA has done historically. There were protests that tried to pressure Government into banning it, though no such action was taken and it ended up selling a crapton because of the attention.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

My dad DOES let me buy it, but im spending christmas on a new pc, so i might consider asking for my birthday in febuary

Out of curiosity, what day is your birthday?

Also, I didn't read a lot of what other people are saying about your situation, but I was in the same boat only at 14. My parents ended up letting me do whatever j want basically when I was 16, but I was also more responsible than most people my age.

I didn't have a curfew, wasn't restricted on video games, etc. This was just, again, when I was 16. Before that I was restricted.

But with how my parents raised me, I was able to make "better" decisions than people I know. Plus my parents were actually home at decent hours unlike many of my friends who practically never had a parental presence (they also ended up being druggies, and getting random girls pregnant, etc).

Do what your parents say. Maybe they'll both give you more leniency soon.

Do what I did, buy steam gift cards and don't tell her

Sally: l Intel i5 4690k | | Corsair H55 | | Zalman z12 plus | | Hitachi 2TB HDD | | Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB | | ASRock Fatal1ty z97 Killer | | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | | EVGA SuperNova 750 watt | | MSI 390 | | Windows 10| 

Hey everyone, this is a very awkward question to ask, but im stuck on ideas ATM. So i'm 16 right, and i want to play GTA V (Steam) for two reasons 1. I LOVE the online freemode update 2. There is a huge car modding/drifting community on there, and i'm into that kind of stuff. It's half price on steam now, so i'm thinking me and my brother could get a copy and both play, i've told my mum that i will only play online and i only want to do car modding and stuff, and before the summer holidays i asked her if i could have it. She said she would "think" about it, but when i came back she said no. I don't know what to say anymore, I can't play any games apart from online ones because I only find them fun. Tekkit is the only thing i play ATM, and i'm getting really bored, plus i'm getting a new PC, so another reason to buy the game. Any kind of suggestions will help. I've even gone as far as saying i will pay, but my mum hates it when i say that so i'm not really going to push on that idea.

Just be glad you're getting a new PC. 

There are plenty of other games that should fulfill what you are wanting to do, with racing and customization.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

Buy it on steam, and your parents need never know (what I did)

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

pirate the game and she wont know ;)

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

Arbitrary ruling is arbitrary, and the sheltering "liberals" + conservatives who can't separate fantasy from reality will repeat the age old "parents know best" line for eternity, despite that being consistently proven false throughout many generations when it comes to social values like entertainment (Rock music, comic books, and sex is satanic and your mommy knows best lel). You will also get the cringe-worthy people who think themselves more "mature" by blindly adhering to parental wishes like this.

As my mom said, "If you are trusted to drive a car and not kill a family of five, then you can be trusted with sex (getting a girl pregnant) and video games." But what does my mom know anyways, she lets my younger brothers play Far Cry 3 and GTA, so I'll get back to you when they become mass shooters or start running people over on the road for bonus points like the resident LTT psychologists would have you believe. I'd say in my own view that it's more often than not the boys who are stigmatized against consuming violent media for a bizarre reason. When it's a girl then it's parents being conservative moralists, but when it's a boy then it's a "dumbass rebel kiddo who needs his pew pew games and hates his parents for knowing best."

In these situations I look for logical consistency. Does your mom not let you watch Game of Thrones as well? If you can watch that then I see absolutely no reason why you can't play GTA.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Dafuq you need your moms premission to buy games lol

i bought all the games i own myself , without asking anyone,with a paysafe card, now with a visa Electron, im 16

edit:lol 69th post on this thread

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)