Windows Server 2016 moving to per core, not per socket, licensing

AresKrieger

Windows Server 2016, not likely to arrive until the second half of next year, is going to shake up the way Microsoft licenses its server operating system, moving away from per socket licensing to per core. The change was first spotted by Wes Miller who is, for his sins, an expert on Microsoft licensing policies.

For systems with up to 4 processors and up to 8 cores per processor, this won't change the overall licensing cost. Above this, however, things get more expensive; although the price for a single processor 10 core system will remain the same, with two or or more sockets populated by 10 core processors, prices will go up; 2 or 4 processors with 10 cores per processor will cost 25 percent more to run Windows Server 2016 than they did 2012.

This change brings Windows Server's licensing in line with SQL Server's; SQL Server 2014 switched to a per core model. So too did BizTalk 2013. Azure is also licensed on the basis of virtual machine cores, rather than sockets. The switch is obviously a reaction to increasing processor core counts and, with it, reduced importance of high socket count systems.

If I were a server owner I wouldn't like this, assuming I had servers with 10 or more cores (per socket), as lost money for stupid reasons is annoying.

Also why is microsoft switching to a more complicated system, well money of course like that's a surprise.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

What the actual fuck? I don't care that I get the keys for free through MSDN, I'm not going past Server 2012 R2 now for sure.

Not that I'll get enough power to do this in the first place.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

That could be painful for @LinusTech with the 12 core Xeons

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

The reason for this is that a big push for Intel's increased core count was that VMWare and Microsoft both license per socket - they put more cores on less sockets = lower license costs.

I refuse to pay for 28 cores when I build my compute server.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

The reason for this is that a big push for Intel's increased core count was that VMWare and Microsoft both license per socket - they put more cores on less sockets = lower license costs.

Its still a really shitty move though.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Its still a really shitty move though.

Yeah you won't be the only one with that reaction, It makes sense for microsoft from a numbers stance but it will definitely won't be popular with many of their customers 

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I was also thinking of VMs where each instance is assigned a core so you'll have multiple licenses per server.... I haven't really read anything I'll admit, but this is what jumped to mind as reasoning. 

yep... was a sad day today...

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

I swear to god, Microsoft is trying to kill whatever remains of its share in the enterprise arena.

You can already do almost everything Windows Server can do, with Linux, which is free.....so them doing this makes zero fucking sense, as other corporations are just as greedy as they are, and will see this and go "screw it, hire some nerds and switch the servers to Linux".

At least for the corporations that aren't already running Linux on their servers(which is the majority of the internet to begin with).

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

That could be painful for @LinusTech with the 12 core Xeons

18 core actually

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

and just like that i will begin pursuing a complete and permanent migration to linux for any server related task

It makes sense to me honestly, high core count CPUs came out so it was much cheaper for server owners to use it as a "loophole" and now Microsoft is re-balancing it.

Do they count it per physical core or logical core?

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Do they count it per physical core or logical core?

What do you mean?

What do you mean?

Logical being after core scheduling aka Hyper Threading vs per Physical CPU core on the die.

-Jason

Out of principal I feel like switching to Linux and only Linux beyond just server means.  This is ridiculous.

I only have some 35k+ physical cores to license. Microsoft VL with Enterprise Agreements certainly well help. O_o

If I were a server owner I wouldn't like this, assuming I had servers with 10 or more cores (per socket), as lost money for stupid reasons is annoying.

Also why is microsoft switching to a more complicated system, well money of course like that's a surprise.

1. MS licensing is already complicated, this wont do a thing to make it more or less complicated, it will just mean no-one knows what to do for a while there.

2. I wouldn't (and don't) care about the licensing costs, I go to business/software vendors and ask what are requirements? I then go to person/department requesting X,Y, or Z and say it will cost $x,xxx.xx are you going to sign this? They then say let me think about it. I then get their response in writing, the smart ones remember that i got it in writing. the smart ones don't try to blame IT.

Yes however, you gotta admire their logic: In the face of more intense competition from Redhat and Linux you decide to fuck potential business partners even harder? If anything this will push people to invest even more into Linux and other visualization environments.

-------

Current Rig

-------

What do you mean?

I think he meant thread vs core. Quite interested in that as well. 

I suppose not, but could this mean there is a chance of Linus going for Linux? 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I You can already do almost everything Windows Server can do, with Linux, which is free.....

Red Hat Enterprise Linux, one of the most popular server distros, is a subscription-based product. Pretty sure SuSE is subscription-based too. Most servers running Linux run CentOS, though, which is free. So no, Linux (at least on servers) isn't 100% free.

But yeah, outside of Active Directory or if you want to make an Active Server Page site there isn't much point to Windows Server.