Scientists in Japan create touchable holograms

SansVarnic

Scientists in Japan create touchable holograms

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2015/12/02/Scientists-in-Japan-create-touchable-holograms/5861449069847/

Scientists-in-Japan-create-touchable-hol

https://youtu.be/AoWi10YVmfE   - (not sure why this is not showing the video instead of link, link does work tho)

This is pretty cool stuff.

TOKYO, Dec. 2 (UPI) -- Researchers in Japan have invented a new laser technology called "Fairy Lights." By shooting tiny laser pulses at super-fast speeds, scientists at Utsunomiya University Center for Optical Research and Education have created touchable holograms.

"People's daily lives would change if we use a bigger laser in a bigger space where people can interact with it, and to see how it can be used in situations where three-dimensional communication is necessary such as a construction site or in the medical field," lead researcher Yoichi Ochiai said.

There was a paper release on this (link) that explains the technology in detail.

One of the potential applications of the new technology is an interactive, holographic keyboard, emitted from a computer onto a user's lap. Fairy Lights also have potential uses in virtual gaming and virtual reality.

There isn't much to tell really, but the fact is they were able to design a laser based hologram that actually interacts when touched verses being broken down. This technology is supposedly scalable.

Watch the video.

I have been following tech like this (not closely but with strong interest) and the hopes are that if this is scalable it will turn the gaming industry upside down, no more devices like the Oculus (sorry Luke but I never cared for helmet VR tech it feels weird to wear).

This is pretty cool stuff right here.

Thoughts?

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

inb4 japan start using touchable holograms to replace sex dolls

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

post-187531-0-41788200-1449077483.jpg

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

This is gonna be combined with a fleshlight somehow....

IDK how, but Japan will find  way 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

They already did that with their ATMs, a holographic keypad appears only to the person that's using it, and they press on the holographic keypad to enter their pin.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Wow you guys are . . .  cant go 2 seconds before a sex doll/toy comment appears. <_<

(me thinks somebody needs to be satisfied)

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Why does this ring a bell? Wasn't this news like 1-2 years ago?

There is a difference in this, the holograms are interactive versus destructive, watch the video.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Wow you guys are . . .  cant go 2 seconds before a sex doll/toy comment appears. <_<

(me thinks somebody needs to be satisfied)

It's not that, it's just that Japan. Because Japan.

Japan is the only reason.

They created this so they can finally touch their waifus.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

This is a repost. I'll try and find the link. But this is way old.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

This is a repost. I'll try and find the link. But this is way old.

Cant be a repost the article is from today.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Cant be a repost the article is from today.

Then that article is a repost from something else. I've seen this before. The video was published in June.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Then that article is a repost from something else. I've seen this before. The video was published in June.

You might of heard something related like Lasers taking down missiles. Don't worry, the human brain is bad at recalling information.

Brah, do you even Java?

Hatsune Miku !!!

:P

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

The era of hologram waifus is upon us.

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~

You might of heard something related like Lasers taking down missiles. Don't worry, the human brain is bad at recalling information.

No no, I'm not having problems remembering. I recall your example as well.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/397354-star-wars-esque-3d-holograms-touch-hologram-in-daylight/

You stand corrected. ;):P