Drive failure? Unsure

Hello all, 

I have a G-Drive Pro that's not showing up in Windows anymore. 

I turned it on this afternoon, and although it can be seen in the device manager as a SCSI device, it's not being registered in Disk Part, Create and Format Disk Partitions, or Windows File Explorer. 

I tried plugging this drive into two other PCs and using different cables - both from USB C to USB A and USB C to USB C.

I just can't get this drive online... Has it failed? It's only three years old!

On another note, this device did run rather hot; it would be almost too warm to touch. I wonder if that has played a part?

Screenshot 2024-05-20 230422.png

Screenshot 2024-05-20 230319.png

Screenshot 2024-05-20 230339.png

Screenshot 2024-05-20 230407.png

Yeah it’s gone. Controller is detected disk is not.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Levent said:

Yeah it’s gone. Controller is detected disk is not.

Worth taking out the disk from the enclosure and seeing if it comes up?

Is it spinning and not making any unusual sounds...

It's a rather expensive drive to have failed after just three years, it wasn't used THAT much...

1 minute ago, Philip Kapadia said:

It's a rather expensive drive to have failed after just three years, it wasn't used THAT much...

Sure, you got nothing to loose at this point. 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

16 minutes ago, Philip Kapadia said:

Worth a shot. Regarding your comment about it being "expensive" and not lasting 3 years... anything can fail at any time for a variety of reasons, regardless of price, quality, manufacturer, time of day, alignment of moon and stars, what you ate for breakfast this morning, etc. This is why it's super important to keep multiple copies of important data in various locations as a backup.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Does it show up in crystaldiskinfo, or a 3rd party partition manager?

21 minutes ago, Philip Kapadia said:

Totally worth it. 

As mentioned above me, it's important to keep multiple copies of data, and in separate locations(including a cloud service). I myself am prepared for failures and drive replacements because the reality is...they happen, and sometimes at the worst time.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Totally worth it. 

As mentioned above me, it's important to keep multiple copies of data, and in separate locations(including a cloud service). I myself am prepared for failures and drive replacements because the reality is...they happen, and sometimes at the worst time.

How much failure are you prepared for? Cloud storage can get pretty expensive. Shoot even large spinners are up there in price. I'm trying to build a 20 TB media drive with an additional 20 TB mirror copy in the same system, and a third 20 TB also mirrored in a JBOD server (copied over the network). The cost of the spinners is totally prohibitive. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, johnt said:

How much failure are you prepared for? Cloud storage can get pretty expensive. Shoot even large spinners are up there in price. I'm trying to build a 20 TB media drive with an additional 20 TB mirror copy in the same system, and a third 20 TB also mirrored in a JBOD server (copied over the network). The cost of the spinners is totally prohibitive. 

My entire server(WD Red Pros) is backed up to an internal hard drive(12TB WD Red Plus), and most of my files are backed up to my Dropbox account. Most of my files fit within the space of 2TB, and some space can be extracted through compression. Additionally, since I store a lot of sensitive data through my account, I encrypt the files, along with the folder and file names themselves.

The items I'm missing from my cloud backups are my media files(movies and TV shows) and my game archives.

My server also does regular scrubs of data, and I check for any issues relating to SMART data so I can catch things as soon as possible.

Edited by Godlygamer23
Corrected required space for Dropbox.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

3 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

My entire server(WD Red Pros) is backed up to a

Nice! It sounds like you've got things figured out for your backup. The 12 TB Reds seem to be a decent compromise between space and price. I started out shooting for the moon with the 20 TB and it was shockingly scary when I sat down and thought I needed 3 to 4 drives at minimum lol

It is becoming quite a bit of work to build my media. Ripping discs and whatnot is actually a lot of work to stay on top of. I don't want to lose my movies ever. So far I just have two drives in one machine in mirror mode. It's not much but I do feel better about it.

I bought some used drives to create a JBOD setup that can perform an automated weekly backup. And my X99x platform from 2015 is totally on the fritz. None of the TEN sata ports are recognizing a drive. I cannot tell what is going on with it.

23 hours ago, johnt said:

Nice! It sounds like you've got things figured out for your backup. The 12 TB Reds seem to be a decent compromise between space and price. I started out shooting for the moon with the 20 TB and it was shockingly scary when I sat down and thought I needed 3 to 4 drives at minimum lol

It is becoming quite a bit of work to build my media. Ripping discs and whatnot is actually a lot of work to stay on top of. I don't want to lose my movies ever. So far I just have two drives in one machine in mirror mode. It's not much but I do feel better about it.

I bought some used drives to create a JBOD setup that can perform an automated weekly backup. And my X99x platform from 2015 is totally on the fritz. None of the TEN sata ports are recognizing a drive. I cannot tell what is going on with it.

Compression can really help if you're having issues managing space. Just depends on what you're compressing(both file type and size), and how often you change it. I also use SyncBack for my backup program with a bunch of profiles and groups, that kinda run on their own schedule. I rarely ever delete anything from the backup drive, even if I move the files from my server into another folder - SyncBack will see it simply as a new folder with the files in it, and copy them over, and leave the other ones intact. This is useful if I do something dumb and need to be in an immediate recoverable state, but it can get out of hand, both from a space perspective and a file sorting perspective - you can end up seeing a lot of archaic items, just look at it like o.O until you wrap your mind around what you did. But other profiles can help with that as well with SyncBack - doing normal backups, and then running a monthly or so profile using the Sync method instead, because maybe you've considered anything after a certain age isn't required anymore.

I do occasionally create archives of my really personal files that I absolutely without a doubt must keep, and put a date on the disc of when I created that archive in addition to what the disc contains.

If you wanna keep discussing this though outside of this thread, you can send me a PM. Heck, you might also give me ideas that are superior to my current process.