Just Cause 3 - nVidia said "engine is incompatible with multi-GPU solutions"

source: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/just-cause-3-graphics-and-performance-guide#comment-2386875225

just recently, nVidia published a "game ready" driver for their GPUs lineup alongside a pretty extensive game optimization guide
what the article doesn't cover is SLI support; a user asked about this and Andrew Burnes (admin) replied:

The engine is incompatible with multi-GPU solutions.

----

let me get this straight, 3DFx introduced the world to multi video card setup in 1998 and today, after 17 (!!!) years, multi GPU setups are .. I dunno .. worthless !??!  -_-
personally, I had a dual-GPU video card, the HD4870X2, and a CrossFire setup with dual HD3870 - after experiencing the lack of support I sweared I will never buy such things again

will DX12 API and / or Vulkan bring multi-GPU setups on more "mortal" grounds ? one could only hope

---

from the game ready driver release notes:

Just Cause 3 - Single-SLI profile added

what the hell does it mean ?!

Avalanche studios why?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

giphy.gif

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

Uh. I find that hard to believe.

Less wait until someone who has a title other than "admin" at Nvidia to say something.

Multi-adapter in DX12 can't come soon enough.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Oooo another half assed console port, let me try and control my excitement.

I'm not (currently) as multi GPU user, but I feel lack of multi GPU support does indicate a lack of interest and development in the PC version of a game.

well NerdCube has 2 titan x's and i'm like 90% sure he was running both when he was playing just cause 3

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Wait didn't mad max support SLI? It uses a very similar engine. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

well NerdCube has 2 titan x's and i'm like 90% sure he was running both when he was playing just cause 3

TotalBiscuit couldn't get it to SLi on his dual 980Ti's.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

A bit OT but you've got to appreciate the effort that Nvidia puts into those optimization guides. They make for useful and interesting reading. Regardless of the general subpar quality of gameworks / TWIMTBP titles...

TotalBiscuit couldn't get it to SLi on his dual 980Ti's.

Yet that video was also recorded prior to driver support/launch of the game.

Multi GPU support was a thing for a short while until developers realized they could make a crapload more money by simply not bothering with it, thus saving development time and resources. It's called greed and laziness, something game devs have been doing for a while now. Also blame the "next gen" console for that, since every PC game ever nowadays a a port of a console game, usually done crappy.

Ye ole' train

I'm not (currently) as multi GPU user, but I feel lack of multi GPU support does indicate a lack of interest and development in the PC version of a game.

It's actually a really good port, as it runs miles better on PC compared to PS4 :P

I used to be quite active here.

TotalBiscuit did a WTF is on Just Cause 3 and it seems like the PC version is pretty good. (Lots of options, and runs well).

While no SLI/Xfire support is a bit disapointing it seems much better than a half assed port

Sure let's talk 4k...multiple gpus? No fuck that stay below 60fps...but 4k!

1080ti kingpin xD

TotalBiscuit did a WTF is on Just Cause 3 and it seems like the PC version is pretty good. (Lots of options, and runs well).

While no SLI/Xfire support is a bit disapointing it seems much better than a half assed port

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghclK4Gd-sw

He kinda fucked up the review (rare for him) but has sort of back tracked in a tweet and then and excuse

https://twitter.com/Totalbiscuit/status/671720514705035265

-------

Current Rig

-------

Multi GPU support was a thing for a short while until developers realized they could make a crapload more money by simply not bothering with it, thus saving development time and resources. It's called greed and laziness, something game devs have been doing for a while now. Also blame the "next gen" console for that, since every PC game ever nowadays a a port of a console game, usually done crappy.

In before AMD puts two cards in crossfire in the new consoles, just to force the game devs to develop for CrossFire :)

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

He kinda fucked up the review (rare for him) but has sort of back tracked in a tweet and then and excuse

https://twitter.com/Totalbiscuit/status/671720514705035265

That sucks, I was interested in picking the game up.

I'll have to look into the performance issues a bit more before I lay any money down.

Can't really fault TB if the game ran fine on his system, though. (Unless his system started having serious issues with the game after the video came out)

I'm wondering if it has to do with the always online aspect of the game.

Wouldn't be the first game where the online connection screwed up performance.

Multi GPU is kinda silly tbh, but this has more to do with the game being made specifically for consoles.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Oooo another half assed console port

except you know, it's running much better on PC conpared to console.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

except you know, it's running much better on PC conpared to console.

The GPUs in the recommended specifications are 4x more powerful than the fastest console(PS4), it SHOULD run better.

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

It's funny that mad max was released 3 months earlier and ran fine. Pretty sure they used the same engine. For 8320 and 270x got me 60fps ultra/high most of the time at 1080p

Another new 'triple A' game that does not support multi GPU setups and probably never will.  <_<

That's it. I'm ditching my crossfire 290's for a stronger single card. It looks cool, it's fun for benchmarking and a handful of games, but that's about it. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS