So HP made a Star Wars™ Special Edition Notebook [Mini-News]

MoonSpot

Not "New", but haven't seen it posted.

http://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/Laptops/star-wars-special-edition#vao

It's a neat looking case, and something Star Wars fans with 1k to burn can pick up to brighten their day a bit each and every day they see and sit at their laptop.  It is otherwise quite an unimpressive piece of gear.

Only hyper threaded dual core options, no quads.

Only intel HD graphics or a 940M dGPU, which isn't terrible.

Only a 4-cell battery, so not particularly mobile with a dGPU.

But it is cooler than a macbook, and not quite the out to lunch money grab of "gamer" laptops.

There are options to start the price at $700, but really a $900 config is the minimum that any geek would consider IMO.  The lack of a quadcore makes this DOA for me, but my inner kid still wants to hug and hold it.  Can certainly see it being a good device for lighter users that want to geek out.

:Edit: Linus or Luke should request a unit to "Review" and keep it on their set ;)

:Edit2: FYI

I actually saw this thing in person at Best Buy. It's a pretty impressive looking thing, I'd buy one if I needed a new laptop and didn't want an ASUS G751.

From what I could tell, it was a printed design on the machine's chassis. The whole laptop is plastic, just like any Pavilion 15, and the finish is smooth and uniform. And sadly, no hyperspeed :P

Edited by MoonSpot

If I had money....

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

--SNIP--

:Edit: Linus or Luke should request a unit to "Review" and keep on their set ;)

I second this. Someone at LTT needs to reach out to HP so that @Slick or @LinusTech can review and hopefully keep one of these around the office.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

at the rate of how much they are merchandising shit before the movie is out, I have a bad feeling this movie isn't going do be what I hope it to be.

Fear not.  Star Wars: The Binks Awakens will not let you down :P

Wow this is like the oldest news that isn't a repost. Impressive!

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

I like it. If only it didn't have a hard drive. 

Agreed. A laptop without an SSD just isn't worth.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Starwars laptop that can hardly play OLD star wars games....let alone new ones.

GG Expectations.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

at the rate of how much they are merchandising shit before the movie is out, I have a bad feeling this movie isn't going do be what I hope it to be.

Star Wars has been whored out since the 70s. This is nothing new. Not to mention Disney will merchandise anything they possibly can and squeeze every single penny possible out of it.

Star Wars has been whored out since the 70s. This is nothing new. Not to mention Disney will merchandise anything they possibly can and squeeze every single penny possible out of it.

Doesn't matter. It's Star Wars.

yeah I know... But this is excessive before the movie has even come out no?

So... basically, an overglorified laptop with vinyl skins and UI skins?

yeah I know... But this is excessive before the movie has even come out no?

Yes, but Disney is going to capitalize on the rabid fanbase. They're good at that. I just ignore it and pick up the handful of things that I care about.

Yes, but Disney is going to capitalize on the rabid fanbase. They're good at that. I just ignore it and pick up the handful of things that I care about.

I don't know how they can still have a "rabid" fanbase when they made all of the amazing video games and books as non-canon.

not to mention the new books that are canon are shite.

I don't know how they can still have a "rabid" fanbase when they made all of the amazing video games and books as non-canon.

not to mention the new books that are canon are shite.

As someone that has been reading EU books and playing SW games since the 90s...Most of it was crap. The EU was largely terrible with really only a handful of stand out books (The Thrawn Trilogy, parts of Young Jedi Knights, most of New Jedi Order, the first couple books of Legacy, and a handful of others) by the end the EU was unreadably bad. As for games KOTOR 1, 2, Shadows of the Empire, and the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series were the ones with plots worth giving a damn about. Besides, it's not like any of it was ever canon in the first place and it doesn't mean you have to suddenly stop reading the old books or playing the games. They still exist, no one is destroying all of the copies.

As someone that has been reading EU books and playing SW games since the 90s...Most of it was crap. The EU was largely terrible with really only a handful of stand out books (The Thrawn Trilogy, parts of Young Jedi Knights, most of New Jedi Order, the first couple books of Legacy, and a handful of others) by the end the EU was unreadably bad. As for games KOTOR 1, 2, Shadows of the Empire, and the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series were the ones with plots worth giving a damn about. Besides, it's not like any of it was ever canon in the first place and it doesn't mean you have to suddenly stop reading the old books or playing the games. They still exist, no one is destroying all of the copies.

yeah obviously. Also there are a ton of EU books, I wasn't referring to all of them nor have I ever read all of them/considered doing so.

So... basically, an overglorified laptop with vinyl skins and UI skins?

No, no, no.  Much more than that.

This notebook comes preloaded with rare wallpapers, screen savers, concept art, and original trilogy storyboards from the Star Wars™  archives.

It also comes with manufactured scarcity of digital goods!

Honestly though, I don't know if I'd make the leap and say that it's just a vinyl skin.  I'm sure that's part of it, but I wouldn't assume that there isn't engraving/etching and molding.  I certainly hope so anyways, the case is the only thing here of note, but haven't touched one myself so... :shrugs:

No, no, no.  Much more than that.

It also comes with manufactured scarcity of digital goods!

Honestly though, I don't know if I'd make the leap and say that it's just a vinyl skin.  I'm sure that's part of it, but I wouldn't assume that there isn't engraving/etching and molding.  I certainly hope so anyways, the case is the only thing here of note, but haven't touched one myself so... :shrugs:

If it makes an appearance in the shops here, I'll be sure to take a look at it and retract my statement if necessary...

else my statement stands unless disproved by people who actually have held the device in their hands...

or a 940M dGPU, which isn't terrible.

Yes it is

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Thrawn books should have been kept as part of the canon..

999 dollars for 940M isn't that great.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

The lack of SSD, a light chassis and a better than 1080p display prevents it from compensating for the lack of a 950M/960M.

Pascal laptops guide

999 dollars for 940M isn't that great.

The lack of SSD, a light chassis and a better than 1080p display prevents it from compensating for the lack of a 950M/960M.

Yeah there is a dell 15" laptop for $760 which has an SSD and 960m which like 50x better and less money

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i7559-763BLK-Full-HD-GeForce/dp/B015PYYDMQ/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447751820&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=dell+xps+960m

Surely HP could have done a better spec!

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yeah there is a dell 15" laptop for $760 which has an SSD and 960m which like 50x better and less money

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i7559-763BLK-Full-HD-GeForce/dp/B015PYYDMQ/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447751820&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=dell+xps+960m

Surely HP could have done a better spec!

The only point I personally would give for the hp laptop is for its design.

Pascal laptops guide