Should I purchase the 5960X?

Go to solution Solved by Rylie59,

Don't recommend anything better... Unless you want a xeon there is nothing better

I will be using it mostly rendering, gaming and streaming.

Dont have a cry about cost. I have the cash and I'm spending it on ridiculously priced items. Deal with it.

I will overclock the cpu.

Uh.. yeah...

Is this what I should be looking at?

Don't recommend lesser CPU's, please. Only better ones.

...Yeah...

I have a 'gaming' pc (for both light work and gaming) based on i5 2500, but I also have a server, based on dual-xeon mobo for rendering and computations.

Maybe this will inspire you to do same way.

For gaming you would get performance from Skylake so go for i7-6700K " I read your post aka I know you asked for no lesser CPU's" but when you are rendering you can just splodge out on GPU's aka 3 980tis or something and still get great rendering from GPU accelerated rendering (assuming your program supports it"Most do") xD

For gaming you would get performance from Skylake so go for i7-6700K " I read your post aka I know you asked for no lesser CPU's" but when you are rendering you can just splodge out on GPU's aka 3 980tis or something xD

980ti's arent for rendering and a 6700k isnt great for video editing

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

Dont have a cry about cost. I have the cash and I'm spending it on ridiculously priced items. Deal with it.

Uh.. yeah...

...Yeah...

Since you're on a budget just go with a core 2 duo instead. It's much better value.

Jokes aside if you will make good use of the 5960X and have expendable money i'd say it's the CPU to go for.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

if you have that much money get a 6700k for a gaming PC and two 18 core xeons for your rendering machine

the 6700k will perform better at games and the 36 cores/72 threads will be way better than a 5960x at rendering

but if you really want to just have one PC, then the 5960x is your best get for gaming+rendering

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Haven't you heard of GPU accelerated rendering? Most Programs can do it and it tends to be way faster than CPU's.

the 6700k is good for gaming and some video editing software again support GPU acceleration 

Uh.. yeah...

...Yeah...

I would go for the 5820k, its a 6 core anr its like 650 dollars cheaper.

Best price/performance as its like 20 percent slower.

I would get that unless you cant afford a few extra minutes on render times.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Also you should get a 10 or 12 core xeon if you really need performance. But the 5960x should be better if you oc it past 4 ghz.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Dude...Dual Xeons  B) You got the cash anyway

Assuming you get the same performance for games, you'll get more for 24/7 rendering and streaming plus coffee making while cooking minute rice.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

Yes get 5960x, no get 4669 v3

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Well, if you have the cash, it would be a great cpu for both gaming and rendering so go for it.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

As said before, get the 5960X for gaming/rendering, but Xeons are better for rendering and video editing. It's all about the decidion between one PC or two separated builds :D

I would go for the 5820k, its a 6 core anr its like 650 dollars cheaper.

Best price/performance as its like 20 percent slower.

I would get that unless you cant afford a few extra minutes on render times.

I see you ignored the fact that i don't care about price.

I wont really be using the 980ti's for rendering. My renders are VERY cpu intensive, because i find cpu renders come out much cleaner in Blender and 3DS max.

I only ever use GPU rendering for non-reflective surfaces.

I see you ignored the fact that i don't care about price.

sorry , didn't read the whole post.

See my second post.

I wont really be using the 980ti's for rendering. My renders are VERY cpu intensive, because i find cpu renders come out much cleaner in Blender and 3DS max.

I only ever use GPU rendering for non-reflective surfaces.

Oh, you do? I helped my father with some Blender aninations (his job) and we also tested, what will come out as better, and I saw almost no difference. What type of stuff do you render?