How to Cool a Passive Card

LtStaffel
Go to solution Solved by LtStaffel,

if you can remove that blue cover, I would slap all the fans that could fit there, if the noise not a problem just get delta fans it will definitely cool it more than you would need it.

Then water cooling will help, since the card is made for passive cooling, isolating other heat sources will solve the problem.

This card is a fanless reference style.

Will be getting tons of airflow.

Hello,

I'll be getting a passive cooled card (no fan) in the near future, and I have no idea how to cool it.  I've heard the best way is put an 80mm fan right behind it to pull air through the heatsink and out the rear exhaust to the outside of the case, but I'd like to know more so I don't fry this card.  It'll be in an mATX environment, itself being the only card in the system.  Does watercooling the CPU help so that it won't blow air around inside the case?

Thanks in advance

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

What is the card?

Passive cards are made to be "passive". You should not have to cool it as long as you have good case airflow.

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

Why is the card naked in the first place?

Does it come like that?

If you worry about something like this, get a better case fan.

Water cooling won't do much to help.

What is the card?

Don't think it matters, but a Xeon Phi 31s1p.  Please don't give me flak about it, I've already gotten enough of that.  I know what I'm doing.

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

Does it come like that?

Yes it does come like that, and I don't know.  It'd make it easier on me if it had a fan but it doesn't.

Spoiler

Yes it does come like that, and I don't know.  It'd make it easier on me if it had a fan but it doesn't.

You just need to make sure there is adequate airflow in the case

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Hello,

I'll be getting a passive cooled card (no fan) in the near future, and I have no idea how to cool it.  I've heard the best way is put an 80mm fan right behind it to pull air through the heatsink and out the rear exhaust to the outside of the case, but I'd like to know more so I don't fry this card.  It'll be in an mATX environment, itself being the only card in the system.  Does watercooling the CPU help so that it won't blow air around inside the case?

Thanks in advance

What GPU is it? If you have good airflow, you should be good, though

Pentium G3258, R9 280X, Corsair CS600M, Gigabyte GA-H81M-H, 2 Random monitors, a no-name keyboard, a cheap $15 Logitech mouse.

LG G3 Vigor

Didn't know the GT8800 passive cards still hung around ;D 

Usually you can position some fans to draw airflow over it yes

You can also get an aftermarket cooler if your not able to keep the temps down 

Then water cooling will help, since the card is made for passive cooling, isolating other heat sources will solve the problem.

This card seems to be blower style (Fanless) design sorta.

Which makes case fans irrelevant.

Don't think it matters, but a Xeon Phi 31s1p.  Please don't give me flak about it, I've already gotten enough of that.  I know what I'm doing.

Im curious on what you need a Phi for.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Does it come like that?

"passive" means no fan

asus-passive-7501.jpg

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Ohhhh its one of those odd intel co-proccesor cards 

31S1P.gif

Just make sure it gets a good amount of cool air to it, those things can run pretty hot though I wouldn't worry a ton about it

"passive" means no fan

asus-passive-7501.jpg

Yep just realised this, i didn't know that Coprocessors has existed till this very moment haha.

Wouldn't it be quite obvious that if its a passive card.....and you want it cooler...that you'd throw a fan on or near it providing more airflow.

Surprised this thread was made to be honest.. the "I don't know how to make it cooler" yet you know that GPU's DO work better with a fan on/near them.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

What GPU is it? If you have good airflow, you should be good, though

Xeon Phi.  It has a shroud, heatsink, and rear exhaust but no fan.  How many fans in what positions does it take to get good air flow?

Didn't know the GT8800 passive cards still hung around ;D 

Usually you can position some fans to draw airflow over it yes

You can also get an aftermarket cooler if your not able to keep the temps down 

Xeon Phi.  It's like a reference with no fan, and I unfortunately can't get an aftermarket.

This card seems to be blower style (Fanless) design sorta.

Which makes case fans irrelevant.

I'm pretty sure case fans are relevant.

Im curious on what you need a Phi for.

I'm going to try programming it of course, and get experience with Linux and such.  I'm getting the card for less than $250, so it's not a huge investment.

"passive" means no fan

-snip

It's more reference with no fan than that.

Spoiler

if you can remove that blue cover, I would slap all the fans that could fit there, if the noise not a problem just get delta fans it will definitely cool it more than you would need it.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Xeon Phi.  It has a shroud, heatsink, and rear exhaust but no fan.  How many fans in what positions does it take to get good air flow?

Xeon Phi.  It's like a reference with no fan, and I unfortunately can't get an aftermarket.

I'm pretty sure case fans are relevant.

I'm going to try programming it of course, and get experience with Linux and such.  I'm getting the card for less than $250, so it's not a huge investment.

It's more reference with no fan than that.

If you feeling lucky, remove the shroud.

=More airflow.

Wouldn't it be quite obvious that if its a passive card.....and you want it cooler...that you'd throw a fan on or near it providing more airflow.

Surprised this thread was made to be honest.. the "I don't know how to make it cooler" yet you know that GPU's DO work better with a fan on/near them.

Sorry then.  I wanted to know a couple things.

These cards are made with servers in mind so that deltas would push huge amount of air tro them

I'm aware of that, though they are put into some workstations but info on those or anything server is scarce.  So I thought making a thread about passive cooled cards would get the advice I needed.

Spoiler

Hello,

Thanks in advance

Idk if intel would ship something out without a fan if it needed one... So my guess is it doesn't need a fan, or you can just attach one to the back of the card blowing out the back. 

And people, its not a GPU. Stop asking what GPU it is. Do your homework. :P

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

If you feeling lucky, remove the shroud.

=More airflow.

I'll look into removing the cover, but would it not be better to leave it on and draw air through the card more than over?  Also, are delta fans a brand, or a specific type?  I'm not well versed in cooling.

Spoiler

I'll look into removing the cover, but would it not be better to leave it on and draw air through the card more than over?  Also, are delta fans a brand, or a specific type?  I'm not well versed in cooling.

yup, delta is a fan maker you can find them on ebay amazon etc.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Idk if intel would ship something out without a fan if it needed one... So my guess is it doesn't need a fan, or you can just attach one to the back of the card blowing out the back. 

And people, its not a GPU. Stop asking what GPU it is. Do your homework. :P

Normally, it's in a rack server with 5 fans at the back pulling air through it and the ambient room temperature probably lower than a house's average.  But I've seen it in workstations (not in person) and also Puget Systems (I know they get a lot of custom stuff, but...) put it in a mini workstation, so I know it's possible.

Spoiler

yup, delta is a fan maker you can find them on ebay amazon etc.

Ok, thanks.

Spoiler

This card is a fanless reference style.

Will be getting tons of airflow.

Spoiler