How to Cool a Passive Card

LtStaffel
Go to solution Solved by LtStaffel,

if you can remove that blue cover, I would slap all the fans that could fit there, if the noise not a problem just get delta fans it will definitely cool it more than you would need it.

Then water cooling will help, since the card is made for passive cooling, isolating other heat sources will solve the problem.

This card is a fanless reference style.

Will be getting tons of airflow.

Sorry then.  I wanted to know a couple things.

I didn't mean to be OVERLY rude just perplexed at a few things you said, so I'm sorry for that too.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I didn't mean to be OVERLY rude just perplexed at a few things you said, so I'm sorry for that too.

I hadn't taken it as rude.

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

This card needs a lot of airflow provided by the system.

The reason it doesn't have it's own fan is because the server is expected to have several of these in a row. So it's more efficient to provide the airflow by the system than every card by it's own. Look up in the data sheet and you wil finde the recommended airflow.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

This card needs a lot of airflow provided by the system.

The reason it doesn't have it's own fan is because the server is expected to have several of these in a row. So it's more efficient to provide the airflow by the system than every card by it's own. Look up in the data sheet and you wil finde the recommended airflow.

Would you happen to know off the top of your head how to measure inlet temperature, what flows (measured in ft^3/min) are, and lastly what the pressure drop measured by h2o is?

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

Would you happen to know off the top of your head how to measure inlet temperature, what flows (measured in ft^3/min) are, and lastly what the pressure drop measured by h2o is?

Can't remember, sorry. But it's quite a lot as far as I can recall.

To look it up on mobile is a pain in the a**, so I will have a look later.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Can't remember, sorry. But it's quite a lot as far as I can recall.

To look it up on mobile is a pain in the a**, so I will have a look later.

Do they matter a lot?  Or can I just get a good airflow going with a temperature, somewhere below what it asks for inlet to be, going into it?

Spoiler

Do they matter a lot?  Or can I just get a good airflow going with a temperature, somewhere below what it asks for inlet to be, going into it?

You will find the datasheet here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/xeon/xeon-phi-coprocessor-datasheet.html

The TDP is 270 watts!

Just read the whole chapter 3 of the datasheet.

Here is a short preview, but there is a lot more information.

post-216771-0-23141400-1446755537.png

You will find the datasheet here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/xeon/xeon-phi-coprocessor-datasheet.html

The TDP is 270 watts!

attachicon.gifphi.PNG

OMFG THATS A HUGE TDP

It has 57 cores....

JEEEEEZ... I would put some high speed 40mm deltas on the end, or deshroud it and mount some 80mm fans. Or make a blower style card with a high speed blower fan.

The TDP is 270 watts!

Yeah I found that datasheet.  Wasn't sure what the definitions I asked you about meant, so I'll read the chapter 3 like you said.

Spoiler

JEEEEEZ... I would put some high speed 40mm deltas on the end, or deshroud it and mount some 80mm fans. Or make a blower style card with a high speed blower fan.

Not sure I can deshroud it, looking at the diagram of its construction.

Spoiler

Not sure I can deshroud it, looking at the diagram of its construction.

I would look for a blower style fan. They have an 80mm intake mount on them, but I would suggest mountinf the exhaust on one end of the card to push cool air though it like the ones used here http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41R%2BFwkJLDL._SX425_.jpg

I would look for a blower style fan. They have an 80mm intake mount on them, but I would suggest mountinf the exhaust on one end of the card to push cool air though it like the ones used here http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41R%2BFwkJLDL._SX425_.jpg

Ok, thanks

Spoiler

Ok, thanks

Yes this blower fan should be able to cool the card well, but it also could be terribly loud.

An other option would be to use a high static preasure 120mm fan and make a shroud to direct the airflow. It can be made out ouf cardboard and works fine.

Or you take the shroud away form the card an mount two 80mm fans directly onto the heat sink.

Yes this blower fan should be able to cool the card well, but it also could be terribly loud.

An other option would be to use a high static preasure 120mm fan and make a shroud to direct the airflow. It can be made out ouf cardboard and works fine.

Or you take the shroud away form the card an mount two 80mm fans directly onto the heat sink.

Anything is terribly loud compared to your PC, stefan xD

Anything is terribly loud compared to your PC, stefan xD

Haha, yes ;)

But these blower fans can go up to >3000 RPM, and you need active noice cancelation headphones to prevent to get deaf.

But I don't have to live with it. I'm enougth far away B)

Haha, yes ;)

But these blower fans can go up to >3000 RPM, and you need active noice cancelation headphones to prevent to get deaf.

But I don't have to live with it. I'm enougth far away B)

lol

I had a similar one of those, and I used it to cool my GPUs while folding. Even full speed was not enough due to poor thermal design. Also, with your passive PC, if you build another one, could you mount the motherboard backwards and then just bolt the CPU part of the motherboard to the heatsink using a copper block? Seems like it would have gotten heat out a bit better.

lol

I had a similar one of those, and I used it to cool my GPUs while folding. Even full speed was not enough due to poor thermal design. Also, with your passive PC, if you build another one, could you mount the motherboard backwards and then just bolt the CPU part of the motherboard to the heatsink using a copper block? Seems like it would have gotten heat out a bit better.

Yes I had this idea too. But the copper conducts the heat pritty bad over long distances and I ended up in a >8kg block of copper. I have no idea where to buy such a massive block.

Other designs where the CPU is closer to the heat sink and a smal block works, get very bulky. The silent cube may looks massive, but compared to a regular ATX case it's quite smal.

I may post one day some of my ideas. Sadly I was just moveing around the heat sinks in the CAD programm and I haven't saved the different versions.