Philcat101

because kids in my school know nothing about computers

RAM

"Hey Ronnie"

"I swear to fu..."

"RAM"

"THROW Y..."

*teacher walks by*

Apple laptops are not overpriced. E.g. Dell XPS 13, Surface Book, Surface Pro 4. Configure them the same and the Apple laptops are not overpriced AT ALL! Oh and what restrictions are present in OSX? Have you even USED it to make such a claim? iOS is locked down, OSX isn't. 

No overclocking options. But of course the terrible thermals wouldn't be able to handle it. An equally priced PC laptop and easily compete with a MacBook or iMac even.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Apple laptops are not overpriced. E.g. Dell XPS 13, Surface Book, Surface Pro 4. Configure them the same and the Apple laptops are not overpriced AT ALL! Oh and what restrictions are present in OSX? Have you even USED it to make such a claim? iOS is locked down, OSX isn't. 

You are very biased.

Just stop.

Remember, kids, faster RAM is only better when rendering! 

Or using integrated graphics.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

How do you compare a few laptops to one? Out of the hundreds of thousands you can choose from. I have used OSX, Hate it. Worse than IOS. Windows is better in every way.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Or using integrated graphics.

Shhh... AMD A-series CPU' s don't count here...

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

Shhh... AMD A-series CPU' s don't count here...

Intel's IGP?

APU* Though both are technically APUs.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Okay I have a bunch that all fall in the same category. I am probably the most tech savvy person in my school in regards to computer hardware and troubleshooting problems (particularly in Windows). If there is someone who knows more about that particular subject than me then they just keep it to themselves. The result is me troubleshooting pretty much every bluescreen, POST failure, missing device, etc. which sometimes involves me doing minor computer surgery. I don't mind as it gives me the opportunity to advertise my services in computer/phone/tablet repair. I sometimes get people asking me what is what which I never mind, we are all in a school after all so why not give the opportunity to learn a bit, but then there is inevitably this one person (it's not the same person every time) who acts like they know more than me with nothing to back it up. As soon as I come up with a diagnosis they stand up and yell out that I'm wrong giving some BS diagnosis instead. Some of these include: saying it's a broken processor when the machine POSTs but doesn't boot (it was a broken hard drive), saying it's the RAM when the computer wasn't displaying video, and my personal favorite: saying it's an internet problem when the computer didn't have a network printer connected (all I had to do was add the printer manually).

Fortunately these people are very easy to shut down (just explain in great detail why they are wrong) but they are still infuriating.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

Intel's IGP?

APU* Though both are technically APUs.

Yeah...  -_-

Probably meant storage but that is still funny lol

I told him only like a super computer would have that much and he said it is a super computer.

(I wonder how much it costs) LOL

I told him only like a super computer would have that much and he said it is a super computer.

(I wonder how much it costs) LOL

http://web.cray.com/IDCWhitePaper-ClustersTakeAim

250,000 USD?

Of course, for that much, you would expect at least 4-8TB of ECC registered RAM.

Oops. I guess im the tech savy faker lol.

Too bad i didnt have the patience to look up that model of cpu, now i look like a fool.

Lol.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

They basically are the same thing when you think about it- and IMO you would be better buying a second hand i7 instead of an i5. I got my i7 for less than an i3.

this guy... I mean seriously????

Every one of my classes in college:

95% of the class are wannabe techies. They want to be "cool" with tech. They want to be all l33t Haxorz. Unfortunately, they read all these words and repeat them over and over in class without any real world experience or comprehension/understanding. They talk alot, say stupid stuff. Because the teachers are lazy and stoop to the lowest common denominator, everyone suffers while the idiot teachers and the idiot wannabe techies have their little rabbit trail convos about AMD being the best for gaming and how water cooling is reckless. 'This is really cool class, I collect all my neighbors computer stuff from their garbage and make new computers with it. That's how cool it is to be tech saavy!" and the class goes "whoah! so cool! teach me master!" Sorry, no, they threw away that gateway PC for a reason. Garbage + garbage does not = not garbage. It also doesn't help you to get a job. Knowing LESS than your local Best Buy geeksquad... is NOT enough to get a job anywhere but your local geek squad (I feel sorry for these folks).

Meanwhile, the 5% that are there because "we have to to get the stupid degree", sit in back and run minecraft servers off of the school computers after we do the weeks homework. And then get talked to because we weren't paying attention to the idiots having conversations about how they found a 15 year old computer at goodwill for $5 and fixed it by putting an old hard drive in it with an IDE cable they found in a dumpster at work.

Don't know what's your problem with "recycling" old tech ... My current main rig is 75%(ish?) from parts that were going to the garbage or with the garbage on the side of the road, so free ... Only thing I actually bought was the motherboard, GPU, PSU.

You have the right not to like it, I see how you could misunderstand it, but the way you talk about it make you look like an elitist a-hole ... You should try it just for fun, building something "scrapyard war" style, it's strangely satisfying! Seriously!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Don't know what's your problem with "recycling" old tech ... My current main rig is 75%(ish?) from parts that were going to the garbage or with the garbage on the side of the road, so free ... Only thing I actually bought was the motherboard, GPU, PSU.

You have the right not to like it, I see how you could misunderstand it, but the way you talk about it make you look like an elitist a-hole ... You should try it just for fun, building something "scrapyard war" style, it's strangely satisfying! Seriously!

His problem isn't recycling, it's people that think they're geniuses by putting two parts into an old computer and making it work.. Cause they're not geniuses.

I like recycling computers, but I wouldn't ever brag about it. It's not like the computer can do much of anything if all the parts are from 2000..

EDIT- Read his post again. Especially in college courses, those people are wannabes just begging for attention.

I used to be quite active here.

I have one terabyte of RAM!

I have a terabyte of RAM.

(I'm being serious)

I have a terabyte of RAM.

(I'm being serious)

Server?

Server?

yup

Do you know anyone who thinks they know lots about tech but really don't? Post your experience(s) below.

Here are mine:

I lots of people at school who think RAM is the only valuable performance metric.

There is one who is an AMD fanboy and says that they are better in every way, even single threaded performance and thermal output.

So many apple fanboys think Apple is the best. IMO Apple is good for people who don't want to do the research, but it is not the best. So many people say it is. IT IS NOT OH MY GAWSH

I look forward to hearing your experience(s)!

i know some people that dont say they know much about computers but they do say that minecraft servers are only about ram and not about the cpu.. gawd... the advertising got to them... @TomvanWijnen you might know who i'm talking about and it's not owen..

Even if what they said was true, it would still be using an HDMI source! I swear, school IT departments are run by skrubs.

my sysadmin has set the default password on all student laptops to something really obvious but i still believe he knows a thing or two about computers, but he's an asshole because we now have bloxx (proxy server that fucks the internet over real bad)

AFAIK it uses flaps on the side to change directory in-flight. DARPA has a working .50 cal version.

Some do, some use a wire inside which contracts/expands causing the bullet to bend so changing its flight charecteristics and hence where it goes.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

The bullet has to spin so the flap(s) must also twist/rotate in order to correct itself to the original target.  That could be a very expensive round.

The principal reason for spinning is to improve accuracy, if the round has active flight control it doesn't need to spin.

Price is not that much of an issue.  These rounds are for tank killing/sniping (a .50 round at the turret/hull interface will stop the tank aiming its gun the tank does not have to be completely blown to smithereens with a $¼ million missile) etc where the cost of the round is NOT a significant factor.  We are not talking every weapon capable of firing these rounds having nothing but these rounds.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Isn't PCMasterRace just about having an OP computer, it doesn't have to be anti consoles.

nope. PCMasterRace is simply being able to acknowledge that pc is superior.  you dont even need to own a pc to be a part of the MasterRace! check out THIS GUIDE for more information!

(i really should make a bot for this)

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.