PSA - Apple TV remote might break if you drop it!

AlTech

post-89336-0-76946400-1446455047.png

So you know the new Apple TV? Apparently it's remote might break if you drop it!

post-89336-0-70973800-1446454905_thumb.j

While not entirely unexpected. It's still quite a nuisance to replace one. Especially since a replacement costs $79 US dollars (yes you read that right!)

So what did you learn today? Don't drop apple products! They're not meant to be really used. They're just there as a showpiece.

Source: http://thenextweb.com/apple/2015/11/01/psa-the-new-apple-tv-remote-might-shatter-if-you-drop-it/

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Yeah, a force applied to any device usually breaks the damn thing. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

If i threw my TV remote it would be just fine!

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Don't drop it then. Shouldn't be too hard.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

If you threw it hard enough it certainly would...

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

Apple is weird. Normally their stuff holds up well and is reasonably durable. But some of their miscellaneous stuff, chargers ESPECIALLY are just absolute pieces of shit. I can't understand why there is such a gap in quality. To add to the problem, all of they replacement parts are twice as expensive as they should be. Not only do they overcharge up front, but they keep hitting you with expensive replacement fees when their crap quality stuff breaks.

I throw my tv remotes full force into the ground sometimes for fun and they are still 100% fine.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.

Yeah, hard enough, not just simply dropping it.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Apple is weird. Normally their stuff holds up well and is reasonably durable. But some of their miscellaneous stuff, chargers ESPECIALLY are just absolute pieces of shit. I can't understand why there is such a gap in quality. To add to the problem, all of they replacement parts are twice as expensive as they should be. Not only do they overcharge up front, but they keep hitting you with expensive replacement fees when their crap quality stuff breaks.

Well, 1. QC and 2. Price!

Come on! If i ever watch TV then when I'm done I turn off the TV and throw the remote onto my sofa. It's perfectly fine afterwards,

Come on! If i ever watch TV then when I'm done I turn off the TV and throw the remote onto my sofa. It's perfectly fine afterwards,

There is a world of difference between a gentle (ish) toss onto a cushioned surface and dropping things onto the floor .

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

There is a world of difference between a gentle (ish) toss onto a cushioned surface and dropping things onto the floor .

I also sometimes throw mine on the floor. No real problem there either.

as with any device. The title said "if you drop it", not throw. Nobody else's remotes are breaking with a simple drop

Praise Duarte!

Oh come on, it's a tv remote. Who hasn't dropped their remote at least 10 times by now. You fall asleep while watching tv and then when you get up it falls down from you, couch...

Look's isn't everything, it needs to be durable to some degree, especially if you have kids.

That's the compromise you have to pay to get a glass touch pad. 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Oh come on, it's a tv remote. Who hasn't dropped their remote at least 10 times by now. You fall asleep while watching tv and then when you get up it falls down from you, couch...

Look's isn't everything, it needs to be durable to some degree, especially if you have kids.

If its a remote, it needs to be durable, period.

PMSL

Surprise! Stuff breaks sometimes when it's dropped!

hmm the remote for the last one was UNBREAKABLE (seriously), so this is a let down but equally, its unlikely to be an issue for 99.99% of people 99.99% of the time

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

my remote would break the floor. just saying.

If the remote still works it's not that bad, it's the price you pay for """style""" I suppose.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

errrrrrrr no

the only issues i have had with  chargers are more cat related.....little shit

im not buying that droping is enough to break it, especially onto carpet.

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

How is this even news? Dropping anything might break. Broken a few remote controls too from accidentally bumping them off an tv/home theater console, cabinets, table, etc.

My house has wood flooring and tiles, so its even worse, I expect that if you have carpet or an area rug, the chance of breakage is significantly less.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

How is this even news?

Because bashing Apple is news these days

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Because bashing Apple is news these days

Apple making a bad product is news.

PMSL

Pro tip, you can go to an Apple store and easily get broken chargers replaced for free. Just a couple months ago I had them replace my charger from my 2007 MBP for free (you just have to argue with them for a few minutes).

Apple making a bad product is news.

I wouldn't exactly call it a bad product. There are plenty of heavy remotes that if you drop them you'll end up breaking them. This one is just made of glass...which isn't the greatest idea for an item that is frequently dropped, but the same can really be said about the majority of products that are constructed with glass (like the recent One Plus X / iPhone 4/4s). It's a great design choice for aesthetic reasons, but sucks for durability reasons. 

/at least I'm assuming it's glass since the picture looks like glass. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.