Tesla's auto-pilot gets a speeding warning (not a ticket)

zMeul

wouldn't be a good law because it makes cars without hand controls outright illegal.

this is the law here

even train engineers are required to have the hand on the controls at all times, even if the train is on rails

That's utterly stupid. Just because everyone else is breaking the law doesn't mean you have to break the law.

It does if you don't want to get rear-ended by someone else, or pulled over for driving dangerously.

A whole lot of places even put the onus of proving that you were driving irresponsibly, regardless of the speed at which you were driving, on the prosecution.

It does if you don't want to get rear-ended by someone else, or pulled over for driving dangerously.

A whole lot of places even put the onus of proving that you were driving irresponsibly, regardless of the speed at which you were driving, on the prosecution.

Driving at the posted speed limit. A madman decides to rear end you because he's driving too fast. You get pulled for driving dangerously. I fail to see the logic in that, but then it is the US where logic isn't bred in schools.

Driving at the posted speed limit. A madman decides to rear end you because he's driving too fast. You get pulled for driving dangerously. I fail to see the logic in that, but then it is the US where logic isn't bred in schools.

They're two separate things. Have you not been on a motorway at any point in your life? (Seriously asking, since this is where driving above posted limits happens most frequently.)

I'm not seeing where you're getting US from either. Would you mind telling me?

They're two separate things. Have you not been on a motorway at any point in your life? (Seriously asking, since this is where driving above posted limits happens most frequently.)

I'm not seeing where you're getting US from either. Would you mind telling me?

Oh I live in the US lol.

I usually cruise control 65mph on the freeways. Of course, if I'm in a hurry, I'd speed or if I'm in the carpool lane and people are tailing me. Other than that, I usually just cruise control 65 or hypermile in traffic.

In a lot of places in America speed limits aren't legislated the same way as say, grand theft auto, they are infractions, not crimes. And most states will have laws on the books regarding what is safe or unsafe, be it speeds, limits, or behaviors. Ignoring the fact that most states also define "drivers" as those operating a vehicle as a profession, not for personal use. And most laws regarding vehicular operation are enforced at the discretion of the officer involved. In some places a non-commercial driver driving 80 in a 60 is not, by default, an infraction, so long as they are driving safely and not endangering fellow motorists, hence why many states have MINIMUM limits as well, as its just as dangerous to be the one car going 40 when all the traffic is going 65.

Many states have some oddball laws about traffic, I personally prefer the 85th percentile rule and the theory of Flow. Arbitrary edicts are not what provides safety, the drivers making up the traffic flow driving responsibly, being aware of their environment, and respecting the laws of flow, allowing the most possible people to make the most efficient passage possible in as short a time as possible allows us all to get where we are going without incident.

Oh I live in the US lol.

I usually cruise control 65mph on the freeways. Of course, if I'm in a hurry, I'd speed or if I'm in the carpool lane and people are tailing me. Other than that, I usually just cruise control 65 or hypermile in traffic.

i havent heard of people getting charged for driving at the speed limit but its still not safe on the highways and you will probably not want to get rear ended for safety purposes not just lawsuits 

Around here where I live, if you go "the limit" you'll get rear-ended and/or passed by everything and everyone or you'll have a long line of pissed off drivers stuck behind you. The speed "limits" and how they are enforced here is a joke. Going with the flow [of traffic] is the most safe way to drive. I've seen more people pulled over for obstructing traffic than speeding.

I don't think the automated driving cars should be dead-set on not exceeding the given speed limit, but rather a safe compromise between the limit and flow of surrounding traffic. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Autopilot is meant to be a super cruise control, you can't make the argument that your cruise control was speeding so you better expect to still get a ticket if the car speeds on Autopilot

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

the guy gets a speeding ticked for doing 75mph in 60 zone

the very interesting thing is, that although it's a BETA, "the car" detects the speed limit but doesn't enforce it - quite a big oversight

the other thing - I don't know the international legislation for driving, but here it's mandatory to have at least a hand on the steering at all times

as of right now, the auto-pilot testing is restricted to US only

The guy was issued a warning, not a ticket. Updated the title to reflect that.

Relevant section is at 12:45 in the video.

The guy was issued a warning, not a ticket. Updated the title to reflect that.

Relevant section is at 12:45 in the video.

thanks for clarification

around here, we don't get a written warning - we get straight up fines  :P

our traffic police works on a quota  system, if they don't meet the quota they get reprimanded or even demoted

Autopilot is meant to be a super cruise control, you can't make the argument that your cruise control was speeding so you better expect to still get a ticket if the car speeds on Autopilot

You better not tell them, they may arrest you for negligence :P

PS: It's funny how people think an autopilot means it's autonomous, guess what happens if you put the autopilot on a plane and leave it to do it's thing, it's going to crash when it runs out of fuel.

thanks for clarification

around here, we don't get a written warning - we get straight up fines  :P

Yep it's not that common in NA either! But apparently that's what happened here, so I wanted to update to reflect that :P