Tesla's auto-pilot gets a speeding warning (not a ticket)

zMeul

You didn't get my point.

I'm not saying the world should be full of taxi drivers or self driving cars. I'm saying if you buy a car that drives for you, stop fucking driving. The road is full of "safe" people who drive like morons and cause more obstruction than safety to themselves and to those around them.

Then you should be clear next time. You stated that if you want to do fuck all instead of driving, you should take the bus. The reply was a bus can't take you anywhere, and you replied a taxi can. When stated that a taxi isn't a solution you were unable to figure out why and asked why not, to which I gave a few examples. With these statements you are implying that a self driving car isn't the solution to people who don't always want to drive themselves ( the if you want to do fuck all, don't drive ) and that you thought that a taxi and the bus is the solution to people who don't want to drive.

I don't agree and believe that all cars should be self driving and manual driving shouldn't be allowed on highways etc. and that if you want to drive a car, you should either go to places like national parks where there isn't a lot of traffic or to race tracks to enjoy driving as hobby.

Use the following style specs for your profile!
Specs:
Screeninator: ASUS GTX970 STRIX
Powermathingy: Corsair AX760
Stickaminator: Kingston HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) 1600MHz Blue
Procrastinator: Intel i5 3570K (stock)
Holdametalicizor: Corsair Obsidian 750D
Noisoundacreator: Sennheiser HD 558
Attatchamajiggy: MSI Z77A-G45 (SUCKS)
Remembrerthing: 750GB Samsung 840 EVO (3x250GB)
Flat-Colorful-Thing: Iiyama craptron 2000
See-A-Move-O: Corsair M45
ButtonBoard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Browns)

Then you should be clear next time. You stated that if you want to do fuck all instead of driving, you should take the bus. The reply was a bus can't take you anywhere, and you replied a taxi can. When stated that a taxi isn't a solution you were unable to figure out why and asked why not, to which I gave a few examples. With these statements you are implying that a self driving car isn't the solution to people who don't always want to drive themselves ( the if you want to do fuck all, don't drive ) and that you thought that a taxi and the bus is the solution to people who don't want to drive.

I don't agree and believe that all cars should be self driving and manual driving shouldn't be allowed on highways etc. and that if you want to drive a car, you should either go to places like national parks where there isn't a lot of traffic or to race tracks to enjoy driving as hobby.

Someone hasn't had their cereal this morning.

My Gaming Rig;  Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Hero | CPU - Intel i5 4670k @4.5Ghz 1.25v | GPU - GIGABYTE GTX 980 @Stock | RAM -  16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i | Storage #1 - Samsung 840 Basic 250GB SSD | Storage #2 - Sandisk II 480GB SSD | Storage #3 - 2TB 7200rpm 64mb HDDPSU - Corsair HX750 | Case - Fractal Design R4 |

It makes me laugh because most places in the US where the speed limit is 60, 75 would be perfectly fine where it not for an arbitrarily set speed limit.

I like the metric system because it uses even numbers, like instead of 50/60mph its 100kmh

I like the metric system because it uses even numbers, like instead of 50/60mph its 100kmh

But even with the metric system we have 50Km/h, 60Km/h, 70Km/h zones. Additionally 100Km/h is almost rarer than a 120Km/h or 90Km/h zone, atleast in Finland.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Look at it this way - if I rob a bank, I don't need a getaway driver, I keep everything and the car speeds away with me :D

and get a robber robot

genius

you can just sit down at home and wait for the robot to show up

then then - self destruct

It's not auto-pilot, it is an assistance of sorts. Like Linus said, a very fancy cruse control.

You still need to pay attention on the road, and control the speed.

But even with the metric system we have 50Km/h, 60Km/h, 70Km/h zones. Additionally 100Km/h is almost rarer than a 120Km/h or 90Km/h zone, atleast in Finland.

Down here in Aus (NSW at least) you'll get 40km/h zones (normally during 8am-9:30am & 2:30pm-4pm Mon-Fri on school days) inside 50km/h zones mixed with 60km/h zones (this is CBD and residential areas), 70km/h zones between 60km/h & 80km/h zones on the outskirts of town (depending on the town), 80km/h zones (usually part of the outskirts), (rarely) 90km/h zones, and mostly 100km/h on the open roads between towns sometimes upto 110km/h on the highways between places like Yass & Canberra.

There are some parts of the road system where you have a 100km/h zone slam into a 50km/h zone as you come into/out of a rural town, but with those they put up the warning signs of the speed (down) change ahead enough of the change that a good driver doesn't need to slam the brakes to halve their speed at the change point (of course, that relies on a good DRIVER to know how to handle their car and follow the rules).

Tesla warned people that they were still responsible for what their car does, the guy was purposefully speeding so thus the ticket is his fault. In my opinion people are too much in a hurry these days, nobody takes the time to enjoy the drive anymore. (incidentally this is the reason I hate driving now)

Lord of Helium.

In Canada's Quebec province, the maximum we got is 100,

In Canada's Quebec province, the maximum we got is 100,

And even then 70 in most highways.

You didn't get my point.

I'm not saying the world should be full of taxi drivers or self driving cars. I'm saying if you buy a car that drives for you, stop fucking driving. The road is full of "safe" people who drive like morons and cause more obstruction than safety to themselves and to those around them.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't fully read this post because I assumed it was like all the others you made. Might want to be a little more clear on that next time.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

You do realize that 50 and 60 are even numbers right?

Metric VS. Imperial. Whichever you use doesn't matter if you don't have a basic understanding of math.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

And even then 70 in most highways.

Quebec's highways are all 100kmh , secondary roads are mostly 90kmh, 80 and 70kmh..

Streets are 50 except some exceptions..

Well, I mean, the software hasn't been out for a week yet. It's learning, and if a traffic sign is slightly obscured or dirty the car simply won't recognize it.

As for the ""the car" detects the speed limit but doesn't enforce it - quite a big oversight" bit: it does, but only if it can read the speed limit sign. If the car can't read it it isn't going to adjust the speed willy nilly because it "thinks" it's a 60 mph zone. That's up for the driver to decide. Again, driving aid, not driver replacement.

you can clearly see on the dashboard the the car actually recognises the speed limit in both instances, before and after the speeding ticket the speed limits are different

in the 70 zone the car was doing 75mph

It's not auto-pilot, it is an assistance of sorts. Like Linus said, a very fancy cruse control.

You still need to pay attention on the road, and control the speed.

you might want to look at the video again - it's full blown auto pilot

the car doesn't need pedal nor steering input, detects the lane by itself, and also autobrakes in danger close situation

----

you have the money to buy a Tesla that self-drives? then you have the money to hire a driver if you want to sit back and relax

That's not even that fast to be honest. Where I live, Interstate-10 has an 70MPH limit. Most people go 80-85 MPH; Highway Patrol and county Sheriff's dont give a damn either, so long as your aren't swerving in and out of traffic.

But still, you shouldn't be letting the car overspeed without some user intervention. SInce this is fancy cruise control and not fully autonomous driving, bad stuff could happen if the driver puts too much faith in the system, or isn't paying attention.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Quebec's highways are all 100kmh , secondary roads are mostly 90kmh, 80 and 70kmh..

Streets are 50 except some exceptions..

All the highways here in Montreal/Laval at 70kmh max. Only when you go outside and go on Federal highways you have 100km/h

Good point, I forgot about those.

Edit: here in Sherbrooke all highways are 100

Anyway.. More on the subject, I'll talk to my company's CEO, he own a Tesla P85D, I'll ask him what he think of the new features

All the highways here in Montreal/Laval at 70kmh max. Only when you go outside and go on Federal highways you have 100km/h

That's some ass backwards speedlimits.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

This is so awesome what Tesla's doing.  In 20 years self driving cars will be very common place, but it's gotta start somewhere.

But I don't get it, why make automated cars? If you're gonna drive, drive. If you wanna sit and do fuck all, take the bus.

Does the bus take you exactly where you want to go? No? Well then use a car and one that drives itself would be great for a daily commute.

Does the bus take you exactly where you want to go? No? Well then use a car and one that drives itself would be great for a daily commute.

Shut up?

My Gaming Rig;  Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Hero | CPU - Intel i5 4670k @4.5Ghz 1.25v | GPU - GIGABYTE GTX 980 @Stock | RAM -  16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i | Storage #1 - Samsung 840 Basic 250GB SSD | Storage #2 - Sandisk II 480GB SSD | Storage #3 - 2TB 7200rpm 64mb HDDPSU - Corsair HX750 | Case - Fractal Design R4 |

I can't imagine how scary it must be to just sit in the driver seat and the car driving itself.

Looking forward to this technology progressing though.

I imagine it'd be quite like this.

the very interesting thing is, that although it's a BETA, "the car" detects the speed limit but doesn't enforce it - quite a big oversight

the other thing - I don't know the international legislation for driving, but here it's mandatory to have at least a hand on the steering at all times

For one thing, actually driving at the speed limit if other cars aren't is very dangerous. You're meant to match the flow of traffic.

and needing to have both hands on the steering wheel can't be enforced by the car, and wouldn't be a good law because it makes cars without hand controls outright illegal.

For one thing, actually driving at the speed limit if other cars aren't is very dangerous. You're meant to match the flow of traffic.

That's utterly stupid. Just because everyone else is breaking the law doesn't mean you have to break the law. You're also wasting gas by rapidly accelerating, speeding, and abrupt braking. I have no respect for those that complain about gas prices when their driving pattern is so bad.