Russia and Europe to launch joint mission to dark side of Moon, then build base there

Dobbsjr

Original article: https://www.rt.com/news/319015-luna-moon-russia-esa/

Quote:

The European Space Agency (ESA) is set to join Russia’s ambitious plan to colonize the Moon, with an announcement that it will provide key tech for a planned exploration mission in 2020, and possibly help construct a permanent outpost.

Announced by Russia’s space agency Roscosmos last November, Luna 27 is a robotic lander that will land in the South Pole–Aitken basin, a giant crater on the dark side of the Moon, and prospect it for resources that could be utilized by future moon-dwellers.

End Quote

There seems to be a lot of space related new lately(water on mars etc). Personally I'm excited about the fact that people will start living outside of Earth in the foreseeable future.

Did my post help you? Then make sure to rate it!

Check out my post on symbolic links! || PSU ranking and tiers || Pokemon Thread

Somehow this will lead to 

fortress_moon_preview1.jpg

MOON NAZIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I know russia was not axis but just go with it)

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Funny, Putin is trolling EU and 'Murica with his political actions, meanwhile we're still collaborating to go to the moon  :lol:

This is stupid theres no water(ice) there whats the point of a non self-sustainable base?

I know mars is way to far or it would have been colonized by now, waste of money on moon base.

This is stupid theres no water(ice) there whats the point of a non self-sustainable base?

I know mars is way to far or it would have been colonized by now, waste of money on moon base.

1. They can just bring water there and recycle it. 

2. Going to the moon is actually feasible in comparison.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Its not a waste, its a good way to practice building inhabitable space platforms and to test colonising other planets etc

its a baby step into the future, first we build a home on the moon, and see if it works

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

There's valuable resources on the moon. Among them being gold, cobalt, iron, palladuim, platinum, tungsten, and helium-3. Helium 3 can be used to power future fusion reactors without producing nuclear waste.

So a base on the moon is actually not a waste of money, but profitable and it's definitely not stupid.

Did my post help you? Then make sure to rate it!

Check out my post on symbolic links! || PSU ranking and tiers || Pokemon Thread

Dark side of the Moon? That's a brilliant Pink Floyd album. I think you mean far side of the moon.

There's water on the moon on both poles, in the form of ice.

Ye ole' train

There's valuable resources on the moon. Among them being gold, cobalt, iron, palladuim, platinum, tungsten, and helium-3. Helium 3 can be used to power future fusion reactors without producing nuclear waste.

So a base on the moon is actually not a waste of money, but profitable and it's definitely not stupid.

Russia and EU are on board, I wonder how long it will take USA to send a "diplomatic" mission xDDDDDDDDDDDD

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

Russia and EU are on board, I wonder how long it will take USA to send a "diplomatic" mission xDDDDDDDDDDDD

Not that long. The Moon needs it's democracy! All those people living there without freedom.

Somehow this will lead to 

fortress_moon_preview1.jpg

MOON NAZIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I know russia was not axis but just go with it)

SOB, I was going to say that.

Edit: anyway

https://youtu.be/Jth4yATniS4?t=37s

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

But there isn't a dark side of the moon unless when an eclipse is happening.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

So... any plans to construct this?

It's basically a moon-based beam of death that bends...

Gundam Seed Destiny?

Yep...

A base at the dark side of the moon seems like a fine place to put something like this... couple it with a few reflector satellites disguised as weather satellites and you have yourself a nice laser weapon that can be fired at any target...

gathering energy for it is a major problem though...

might also be the starting point for lunar, interplanetary and asteroid mining...

I for one welcome our new Russian overlords.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Why the dark side? So we cant look at it through telescopes? Also it seems VERY ambitious to even land on that side of the moon. Unless they plan on traveling once they land but I doubt that. I wonder what they plan to do about temperatures and if they have any ideas for vegetation.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Why the dark side? So we cant look at it through telescopes? Also it seems VERY ambitious to even land on that side of the moon. Unless they plan on traveling once they land but I doubt that. I wonder what they plan to do about temperatures and if they have any ideas for vegetation.

What do you mean it's very ambitious to land on that side ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650