Russia and Europe to launch joint mission to dark side of Moon, then build base there

Dobbsjr

Russia is both. Russian territory includes large sections of what is considered Europe as well as Asia. In fact, more of Russia is in Asia then in Europe.

Besides, the continental lines between Europe and Asia have always been "murky" at best, and have been more geo-political then actually based on geology.

I am aware of that - it's just that in Poland everyone treats Russia as Europe and I was wondering if in other countries it's different.

I am aware of that - it's just that in Poland everyone treats Russia as Europe and I was wondering if in other countries it's different.

Lots of people treat Russia as part of Europe. This is common in North America too. But it's not accurate. Or at least, not wholly accurate - since half of Russia is in Asia. Naming Russia separately from Europe makes sense on a geographic as well as political level.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Lots of people treat Russia as part of Europe. This is common in North America too. But it's not accurate. Or at least, not wholly accurate - since half of Russia is in Asia. Naming Russia separately from Europe makes sense on a geographic as well as political level.

Though true, that's thinking about this the wrong way or just too much IMO.  The European space agency(ESA) is one space program, Russia has their own.  Thus joint operation *claps dust off hands*, done.

BTW, Canada is a cooperating member for ESA..

http://www.esa.int/spaceinimages/Images/2013/02/ESA_Member_States_and_Cooperating_States

>Dark side of the moon

>Megatron is there

Russia, pls, no.

They'll introduce vodka to Megatron, Megatron will become alcoholic. :P

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Though true, that's thinking about this the wrong way or just too much IMO.  The European space agency(ESA) is one space program, Russia has their own.  Thus joint operation *claps dust off hands*, done.

BTW, Canada is a cooperating member for ESA..

http://www.esa.int/spaceinimages/Images/2013/02/ESA_Member_States_and_Cooperating_States

Yeah space-wise the major players are NASA, RFSA (Russia), and ESA.

Canada's kind of half-assed in ESA. They pay less than eg. Denmark, Luxembourg, and even Poland.

Yeah space-wise the major players are NASA, RFSA (Russia), and ESA.

Canada's kind of half-assed in ESA. They pay less than eg. Denmark, Luxembourg, and even Poland.

Sounds like the Canada I know. Hopefully we can push an arm or 2 on them to maintain the pretense.  Also part of a reason why they're a cooperating member(other than not being in europe) and not a fullblown member.  We just bring some beer and smile awkwardly in the corner trying to be a part of things.

I always thought it was because Russia just does what it wants, and isn't part of the eu

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

why the dark side though? sure its best side but why?

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

why the dark side though? sure its best side but why?

It's the south pole basin they're after, it contains more water ice and other useful resources. It's just coincidental that it's on the far side (mostly; the outer ridge can be seen from Earth).

Yes the terrain is more harsh on that side as it's always exposed to space. 

The moon rotates so that's incorrect, it just rotates at a similar speed it orbits so we really only see one side (there's like an extra 5% that is sometimes visible or something).

edit: one writes stupid things at 2am

I'm still waiting for Mars Direct...

Just imagine how grumpy Zubrin would be on his death bed if we haven't gone to Mars by then...

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

Inb4 Aldnoah Zero or Crescent Love....

You decide ;)

/runs

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

The moon rotates so that's incorrect, it just rotates at a similar speed it orbits so we really only see one side (there's like an extra 5% that is sometimes visible or something).

No it's correct. The dark side is always facing away from us (with some extra visible like you said) so it's also always facing out to space so asteroids are much more likely to hit that side vs the astroid first passing Earth and then hitting the "visible" side.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

space is not political

It's always political... remember the space race??

It's always political... remember the space race??

Agreed.  Especially political if your the first and only one up there able to drop rocks down on people that disagree with you.  Or just frack with their HBO satellites to troll'em.

I wonder what they will be "putin" on there...

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

Somehow this will lead to 

MOON NAZIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I know russia was not axis but just go with it)

Moon Communistic Nazis*

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

The Martian confirmed.

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace