Liquid cooling directly on the chip

numpad

Summary:

Researchers at Georgia Institute of Technology have successfully built liquid cooling channels directly onto 28nm FPGA chips, eliminating the need for additional heatsinks and fans on top of the chips.

By etching cooling passages into the silicon and incorporating silicon cylinders for improved heat transfer the researchers pumped de-ionized water through the channels at 147 ml per minute, achieving a ΔT of 4°C, compared to an aircooled solution operating at 60°C.

Incorporating copper structures into the silicon would allow stacking multiple chips for cooler, denser, and consequently more energy-efficient systems.

[The researchers] etched cooling passages into the silicon, incorporating silicon cylinders approximately 100 microns in diameter to improve heat transmission into the liquid. A silicon layer was then placed over the flow passages, and ports were attached for the connection of water tubes.

This may open the door to stacking multiple chips, potentially multiple FPGA chips or FPGA chips with other chips that are high in power consumption.

Now for the exciting bit:

the same technology could also be used to cool CPUs, GPUs and other devices such as power amplifiers

[[source]]

The chips used for the research were stock chips that the researchers modified. If manufacturers integrated this into their designs the results could potentially be even better. We could also see drastic reductions in motherboard and expansion card sizes.

post-121932-0-35831800-1444085687.jpg

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

particle buildup would clog the channels and it would be nearly impossible to clean them

normal watercooling loops degrade over time leaving plastic or metal in thin waterblock fins, especially if metals are mixed or if the coolant is not replaced every few months

and you cant just put a CPU under boiling water to clean it

I dont see this becoming a practical solution any time soon...

even deliding is already extremely rare

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

This is really cool. My guess is you need less water flow in order to cool the hip if it's built into the die itself?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

When can I have a full sized computer case filled with tiny ass transparent water cooling tubes, lit up to look like a bundle of fiber optic cables?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

<snip> achieving a ΔT of 4°C, compared to an aircooled solution operating at 60°C.

Does it seem to anyone else that these numbers are skewed to look more impressive?  What was the ambient temperature from which delta T of 4C was derived with an air cooled temp of 60C

Does it seem to anyone else that these numbers are skewed to look more impressive?  What was the ambient temperature from which delta T of 4C was derived with an air cooled temp of 60C

skewed or not, that's still damn impressive. only 4 degrees over idle is NUTS.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

I thought IBM's Aquasar did this years ago, but after looking at it again, it looks like they might have only done microchannels in the copper, and not in the silicon.

skewed or not, that's still damn impressive. only 4 degrees over idle is NUTS.

thus the room temperature was really low.

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

<snip>

Very interesting, I would like to see were this goes.

particle buildup would clog the channels and it would be nearly impossible to clean them

normal watercooling loops degrade over time leaving plastic or metal in thin waterblock fins, especially if metals are mixed or if the coolant is not replaced every few months

I agree but I would like to assume they are going to address this as they should be aware of this issue, hopefully they are able to come up with something.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

YESSSSSSS. Love the idea.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

More practical way of doing this would be to use vapor chambers, which you then use a normal heatsink or water block on top of, to better conduct heat between the cpu and heatsink/block. That way you don't have to worry about debris clogging up your cpu heatspreader

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

Yeah, I have my doubts about this, it sounds like a pretty neat idea but I don't know.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Fuuuuckk, my QX6850 needed this when it was launched. (Half of the CPU is binned far lower than the other and runs hotter-gotta love quad cores made the lazy way).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

What was the ambient ? what radiator did they use ? what fans ? I don't know but the ambient could've been very low, they could've used a huge ass radiator like the industrial ones, they could've used Delta fans or whatever it's just that results look off.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

More practical way of doing this would be to use vapor chambers, which you then use a normal heatsink or water block on top of, to better conduct heat between the cpu and heatsink/block. That way you don't have to worry about debris clogging up your cpu heatspreader

You make a good point.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

You will need a dual loop systems. The liquid going through the chips will be a special mixture and the loop will be sealed. Than you cool the liqzud with water.

Also the idea of cooling the chip with embedded channels is floating around for years now. Nice to see they finally build it.

But IMOH it's not practical. Every mm^2 of the wafer in there high end processes is extremly expensive. But you can't shrink the channels to much so they goona eat up a lot of space makeing the chips bigger and super expensive.

Also without this cooling method the developpers are forced to save power. Therre is no point in makeing a 300 watt CPU.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

You will need a dual loop systems. The liquid going through the chips will be a special mixture and the loop will be sealed. Than you cool the liqzud with water.

Also the idea of cooling the chip with embedded channels is floating around for years now. Nice to see they finally build it.

But IMOH it's not practical. Every mm^2 of the wafer in there high end processes is extremly expensive. But you can't shrink the channels to much so they goona eat up a lot of space makeing the chips bigger and super expensive.

Also without this cooling method the developpers are forced to save power. Therre is no point in makeing a 300 watt CPU.

chip sizes have been staying around the same value for a while now (GPUs go up to TSMC's max size, 600mm2 iirc, and intels dies have been staying around 12-15mm in both dimensions for a while). This is (as far as i understand) embedded into the silicon wafer, so if you have a set (or setish) chip size, then the channels in the wafer can stay just the way they are. 

Also just fyi, wafers cost what they cost. and according to AMD its not that much, IIRC they said the losses from building big chips (and thus less per wafer) arent high

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

chip sizes have been staying around the same value for a while now (GPUs go up to TSMC's max size, 600mm2 iirc, and intels dies have been staying around 12-15mm in both dimensions for a while). This is (as far as i understand) embedded into the silicon wafer, so if you have a set (or setish) chip size, then the channels in the wafer can stay just the way they are. 

Also just fyi, wafers cost what they cost. and according to AMD its not that much, IIRC they said the losses from building big chips (and thus less per wafer) arent high

Wait, what?: "I'm Out. I'll only post to update build/mod logs."

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Wait, what?: "I'm Out. I'll only post to update build/mod logs."

PS: before you yell at me I'll post to things that interest me...

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]