Bitfenix Prodigy RAID 5 file server 15,000,000,000,000 bytes (15TB)

Well said sir. I'm looking for a smaller form factor and less cost (probably RAID 1) with two REDs (3TB). Could you recommend me some parts? 

Edit: Couldn't you use this as a backup server as well? Would it backup incrementally or just back up your whole computer? 

Depends how you configure your backup. Me personally once I have installed my OS, all programs, updates and drivers I just make a system Image, save that to the server and then re-image my PC once every 6months or so to keep everything running as it were a fresh install all the time. Doing this saves the time in the process of having to do it from scratch every time.

Depends how you configure your backup. Me personally once I have installed my OS, all programs, updates and drivers I just make a system Image, save that to the server and then re-image my PC once every 6months or so to keep everything running as it were a fresh install all the time. Doing this saves the time in the process of having to do it from scratch every time.

You don't use the backup feature? Just the system restore image? 

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

You don't use the backup feature? Just the system restore image? 

I use the backup feature to backup all home movies, family photos and critical docs to an external HDD from the server. All my media is relied upon having it saved using a RAID 5 redundant config. My laptop, main PC don't house any sensitive data as this is all streamed from the server and backed up to the external drive, they only contain the OS and programs so if something bad were to happen to the boot drive in those systems I'd just to a reinstall of the OS and programs.

I use the backup feature to backup all home movies, family photos and critical docs to an external HDD from the server. All my media is relied upon having it saved using a RAID 5 redundant config. My laptop, main PC don't house any sensitive data as this is all streamed from the server and backed up to the external drive, they only contain the OS and programs so if something bad were to happen to the boot drive in those systems I'd just to a reinstall of the OS and programs.

Ahh i see. 

Nice! I really love that cable management. 

Who is that in your profile picture? :P

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

why win8? an OS designed for mobile ported to desktop..=C

Considering Win 8 is still running a kernel derived from the Win NT lineage, I'd

say Win 8 is more of a desktop OS with a mobile device graphical shell tacked onto

its surface. At its heart Win 8 is still very much a desktop/workstation system,

architecturally speaking, at least AFAIK. If anyone has any reliable info to the

contrary feel free to correct me though, I'm not a Windows expert.

Regarding your question, I think OP answered it a few pages back somwhere IIRC.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

How much did you buy a RED drive for? 

How much did you buy a RED drive for? 

$160AUS about 5months ago, today they're still about that since our dollar has become weaker.

why win8? an OS designed for mobile ported to desktop..=C

I had a unused license laying around, it does what I need it to do, share out folders with given permissions as well backups of family PC's.

I think I'm going to build the same thing in a NODE 304. What do you think about it? Also, what are your thoughts on the RAID card? (Was it a 6805E or the $500 6805?)  Was it easy to setup? Is it alright if I used a B75 motherboard instead? Thanks, 

I think I'm going to build the same thing in a NODE 304. What do you think about it? Also, what are your thoughts on the RAID card? (Was it a 6805E or the $500 6805?)  Was it easy to setup? Is it alright if I used a B75 motherboard instead? Thanks, 

I have no personal experience working with the node 304, you have to sit down and plan what you want to put in it and then decide if it'll acomodate the parts you want easily, that's how i go about building my systems anyway. Mine is the 6805, i believe the 'E' model comes with the battery backup module? i didn't opt. for that model if i'm correct as it costed a lot more, given the fact the data i do write to it isn't that critical if there's a power outage while it's writing to the drives, which isn't often as everything is archieved anyway, i don't really care about having it. Was a bit of a learning curve to setup, i found my particular card wasn't compatible with WHS 2011, which I only found out after much frustration. It'll work fine with any mobo mate, hope this helps you.

Why didn't you use something like Ubuntu or Debian server with some extra software to use for a File Server. Yeah it has a bit of a learning curve but you will get a better end product by doing so.

From what everyone has been saying I am going to look into this in the near future. Shall be something interesting to explore. Thanks for the tip

How much did you pay for the whole build!

“Strength does not come from winning. your struggles develop your strengths. 

When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength” 

Case: Corsair Obsidian 400R , CPU : Intel Core i7-3770K , Mobo: ASRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance , Cpu Cooler : CoolerMaster Seidon 120M , RAM : Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8GB , Hard Drive : Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB , Monitor : Dell UltraSharp U2312HM , GPU : ASUS GTX 670 DIRECT CU II

How much did you pay for the whole build!

Bit over 2K AUS.

all u need now is thunderbolt on your motherboard and an external gpu

I'd have to say i would rather a 10Gb NIC, don't really see any need for a high power GPU for this system, the gigabit NIC is def. the bottleneck. However that day is still some time off

That's a really cool rig man, but you should put a good OS on there as well, Linux or BSD :)

Sweet itx server

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

That's a really cool rig man, but you should put a good OS on there as well, Linux or BSD :)

Yeah from the amount of people who have commented this I am going to make it something I look into soon. Personally I have no experience with Linux yet though something I will look into on the mid semester holiday soon. Thanks for viewing!

Cheers mate!

I need to make one

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

I need to make one

It was fun building, though a bit pricey tis' a long term investment, no more fumbling around with external HDD's and keeping track of duplicate files, go for it mate!

It was fun building, though a bit pricey tis' a long term investment, no more fumbling around with external HDD's and keeping track of duplicate files, go for it mate!

I don't have much money, but I do have a old pc so i just need to buy HDD's and Ram