Bitfenix Prodigy RAID 5 file server 15,000,000,000,000 bytes (15TB)

very clean.  great job.  I like where you put your stickers too.  Discreet.  how does all 3 of your network drive have the same amount of files in them?

AMAZING! Awesome job!

AMD FX 8320@ Stock - Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 - Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600Mhz - Corsair Carbide 200R - Powercolor Radeon HD 7950 PCS+OC@970Mhz core 1400Mhz memory - Corsair CS650W - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 
LG 22EA53VQ 21.5" - CM Storm Xornet - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Creative Inspire T3130 2.1

Do I see this correctly, that you're cooling your CPU passively? 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

very clean.  great job.  I like where you put your stickers too.  Discreet.  how does all 3 of your network drive have the same amount of files in them?

Thanks mate, basically I have mapped all the folders within the D drive of the server which is the 10.8TB volume. Here are some pictures to try help explain this...

The first two are from the server and the 3rd picture is on my main rig, also displays like this on my laptop. Hope this helps.

post-20982-0-92160300-1394011559.jpg

post-20982-0-30542500-1394011562.jpg

post-20982-0-64724600-1394011612.jpg

looks so fresh, I want todo something similiar.

Thank you, I must admit I am surprised to not see many others build a storage pc around the prodigy, it kind of is the perfect case to do so.

Do I see this correctly, that you're cooling your CPU passively? 

I originally had done so, though here in the summer of Australia it did get a bit warm, not much though when the virus scan use to run on it it did heat up a bit, so I ended up throwing the fan back on it.l

Thank you, I must admit I am surprised to not see many others build a storage pc around the prodigy, it kind of is the perfect case to do so.

It is a beautiful case and your build looks fricking awesome, a show off NAS!

I'm currently building a NAS myself around the Lian-Li Q25B for various reasons.

First of all I like the aesthetics of the Q25B better for the purposes it will serve. If I'm going to build a mITX gaming rig in the future I might end up with something a bit more flashy like the Prodigy. I'm a big fan of the Prodigy just to be clear.

When I was looking for parts for my NAS build I was looking at the Prodigy but in the reviews it looked a bit big and it only supports 5 x 3.5" drives natively, which isn't quite enough for my needs. The Q25B supports up to 7 x 3.5" drives natively in a small enclosure. I've added the dimensions below. Again this is just for my needs.

Prodigy mITX (W*H*D): 250 * 310 * 340 = 26.35L

Q25B (W*H*D):            199 * 280 * 366 = 20.40L

I originally had done so, though here in the summer of Australia it did get a bit warm, not much though when the virus scan use to run on it it did heat up a bit, so I ended up throwing the fan back on it.l

But you were able to cool the CPU just fine during the Australian winter, then I should be able to keep my CPU cool all year here in Denmark with a passive cooler.

NAS build log: Gimli, a NAS build by Shaqalac.

Mechanical keyboards: Ducky Mini YotH - Ducky Mini

It is a beautiful case and your build looks fricking awesome, a show off NAS!

I'm currently building a NAS myself around the Lian-Li Q25B for various reasons.

First of all I like the aesthetics of the Q25B better for the purposes it will serve. If I'm going to build a mITX gaming rig in the future I might end up with something a bit more flashy like the Prodigy. I'm a big fan of the Prodigy just to be clear.

When I was looking for parts for my NAS build I was looking at the Prodigy but in the reviews it looked a bit big and it only supports 5 x 3.5" drives natively, which isn't quite enough for my needs. The Q25B supports up to 7 x 3.5" drives natively in a small enclosure. I've added the dimensions below. Again this is just for my needs.

Prodigy mITX (W*H*D): 250 * 310 * 340 = 26.35L

Q25B (W*H*D):            199 * 280 * 366 = 20.40L

But you were able to cool the CPU just fine during the Australian winter, then I should be able to keep my CPU cool all year here in Denmark with a passive cooler.

Sounds interesting I'm going to have a look at that case too, I would preferably like a case with 8 drive mounts so I could make full use of my 8 port raid controller.. Thanks for your compliment :)

What an incredible build, truly inspiring!

// Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 // AMD FX-8320 CPU @ 4.3 Ghz (7-21.5 Multiplier) 200.90mhz FSB CPU-Z Validated // Kraken X40 AIO - 2x140mm Push-Pull // 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP - 8GB Avexir Core Series Red 1760Mhz // Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro 1130mhz/4GB 1025mhz (Effective) GPU-Z Validation // Corsair SP2500 2.1 & Microlab Solo 9C Speakers // Corsair K90 Silver - Cherry MX Red & Blue LEDs // EVGA SuperNova 850w G2

Sounds interesting I'm going to have a look at that case too, I would preferably like a case with 8 drive mounts so I could make full use of my 8 port raid controller.. Thanks for your compliment :)

I think you should be able to stuff 8 drives into that case with some simple modding or a ghetto mount.

When I run out of space on 7 drives in a RAID6 that's what I intent to do.

I think you should be able to stuff 8 drives into that case with some simple modding or a ghetto mount.

When I run out of space on 7 drives in a RAID6 that's what I intent to do.

Nice, what size drives are you going to use? I have all 3TB drives though 4TB drives would be nice to have, will prob wait till 6TB drives become more affordable before my next upgrade in terms of space..

Nice, what size drives are you going to use? I have all 3TB drives though 4TB drives would be nice to have, will prob wait till 6TB drives become more affordable before my next upgrade in terms of space..

At the moment I have 4 x 4TB Seagate NAS HDDs in the case and the plan is to throw another one in at the time when I need more storage.

I'm going to run Debian as OS so whether I can mix different sizes of HDDs I'm not sure of.

• 1 month later...

Great build.  I've just ordered 5x3TB drives to be added to my prodigy's existing 2TB hdd and 256GB Samsung 830.  I'm looking for a similar setup to you.

A couple questions though.  I plan to mount one of my six 3.5" drives in the 5.25 bay using brackets.  Do you think there would still be room for the fan controller at the front?  Also, what did you used to mount the SSD?  I have mine mounted on the mesh on the right side panel, but might need to relocate for cabling purposes.  Speaking of that, are you using a SATA power splitter to power the drives?  If so, which one did you get?

Thanks!

Great build.  I've just ordered 5x3TB drives to be added to my prodigy's existing 2TB hdd and 256GB Samsung 830.  I'm looking for a similar setup to you.

A couple questions though.  I plan to mount one of my six 3.5" drives in the 5.25 bay using brackets.  Do you think there would still be room for the fan controller at the front?  Also, what did you used to mount the SSD?  I have mine mounted on the mesh on the right side panel, but might need to relocate for cabling purposes.  Speaking of that, are you using a SATA power splitter to power the drives?  If so, which one did you get?

Thanks!

Hey mate, thanks for commenting. It would be an extremely tight fit to mount a HDD in the 5.25 bay along with a fan controller, it could be done though the HDD would be sticking out the rear of the 5.25 bay quite a bit along with the cables for it I'd imagine, plus wiring up the fan controller with it sitting there would be a bit of a nightmare I think. I just used double sided M3 sticky tape, bough it off ebay, was like $4 a roll, most handy stuff ever to get a roll of. I see SSD's as something to be put on display if possible, I mean people spend so much money on them and always hide them, I'm like why not present them for show, it's not difficult, just a little bit of imagination and creativity required. I am just using the SATA power cables which came with the PSU. There is 1 x 4 SATA power cable and 1 x 2 SATA power cable in use. I do have a Molex to SATA power adapter cable which I use to get power to the SSD, it's quite good as it allows me to wrap it up out of the way at the front of the case, if you look closely you'll see what I mean, it's a Bitfenix sleeved cable. Please send me a link to your post if you go through with it and when you have a chance. Hope this helps, if you have any other Q's feel free to ask...

• 8 months later...

This is one of my favorite builds on LTT, it's so beast. I can't wait until I can build my NAS

Cheers mate, glad you like. Make sure to post when yours is done! :)