Bitfenix Prodigy RAID 5 file server 15,000,000,000,000 bytes (15TB)

Story of my life at the moment... Got one external drive no fucking clue what is on it seeing as everyone in my house uses it as some point.

Hang in there, you'll make it happen one day mate, even if it is a basic NAS of some sort...

I don't have much money, but I do have a old pc so i just need to buy HDD's and Ram

yeah, now that I'm a student again I do look back and think wow i did spend a lot of money on this, tthough i had fun which is the main thing and it'll serve a purpose for a long time to come, good luck with building yours !

yeah, now that I'm a student again I do look back and think wow i did spend a lot of money on this, tthough i had fun which is the main thing and it'll serve a purpose for a long time to come, good luck with building yours !

Thanks

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

I would say nice cable managment but I can only see like 4 runs so is that realy cables? lol jk but this is some of the cleanist cable runs I have ever seen excelent

What's the advantage of the SSD here? Ultimately the media is still being ready from a physical drive so the SSD isn't really helping speed right? Did you just want to go all out? I am in the planning process to build a rig exactly like this, even the case haha except with a SATA 3 motherboard, your thread has helped me a lot! 

I would say nice cable managment but I can only see like 4 runs so is that realy cables? lol jk but this is some of the cleanist cable runs I have ever seen excelent

Thanks mate!

What's the advantage of the SSD here? Ultimately the media is still being ready from a physical drive so the SSD isn't really helping speed right? Did you just want to go all out? I am in the planning process to build a rig exactly like this, even the case haha except with a SATA 3 motherboard, your thread has helped me a lot! 

Glad it helped mate, make sure to post yours when complete! I used a SSD for the boot drive simply because I did have it spare at the time, and I simply just love them. +Don't really have to worry about the OS drive dying any time in the near future.

Hi,

Just one more question. Is the fan really necessary for the RAID card? I think I will buy the same one. (It will work with windows home server 2012 right?) 

Also, what's your plan if your power goes out?  :o

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

Hi,

Just one more question. Is the fan really necessary for the RAID card? I think I will buy the same one. (It will work with windows home server 2012 right?) 

Also, what's your plan if your power goes out?  :o

It is yes, these cards do run hot and are designed to be placed in racks where they have adequate airflow over the heat sinks, u prob could get away without active cooling though i predict this would just shorten the lifespan of the card

Ahh if the power goes out no big deal, just no movies till it come back on.

Nice and neat file server make mine look bad

A server doesn't have to look good mate, i just like making systems like this purely for a hobby. Thanks for checking it out mate

It is yes, these cards do run hot and are designed to be placed in racks where they have adequate airflow over the heat sinks, u prob could get away without active cooling though i predict this would just shorten the lifespan of the card

Ahh if the power goes out no big deal, just no movies till it come back on.

So I don't need a backup battery or backup PSU? It's for a file server. 

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

So I don't need a backup battery or backup PSU? It's for a file server. 

Honestly it depends on how critical your data is and how much it means to you... If you were to lose any data at all during a power outage.

Honestly it depends on how critical your data is and how much it means to you... If you were to lose any data at all during a power outage.

Do you know what happens if there's an outage? Does the PSU notify the battery? Or what? Thanks

pwease-can-i-haz-one.jpg

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Do you know what happens if there's an outage? Does the PSU notify the battery? Or what? Thanks

If there is a power outage and you have a battery installed for the raid card, the battery will keep power to the ram on the raid card so that any data currently stored there waiting to be written to disk will not be lost.

If there is a power outage and you have a battery installed for the raid card, the battery will keep power to the ram on the raid card so that any data currently stored there waiting to be written to disk will not be lost.

So if I don't have one, will the RAID array get messed up if the computer suddenly turns off during an outage? Or will I lose data?

So if I don't have one, will the RAID array get messed up if the computer suddenly turns off during an outage? Or will I lose data?

From what I've gathered so far from my experience is the array will stay in tact even if there is power suddenly lost to the system. I've had to turn my system off by holding in the power button before instead of shutting down properly, nothing happened to the array. You'll only lose data if your copying to the disk at the time whatever is currently being cached in the controllers ram. This not being an issue if u have a battery backup unit installed or if you have a UPS (Uninteruptable power supply)

From what I've gathered so far from my experience is the array will stay in tact even if there is power suddenly lost to the system. I've had to turn my system off by holding in the power button before instead of shutting down properly, nothing happened to the array. You'll only lose data if your copying to the disk at the time whatever is currently being cached in the controllers ram. This not being an issue if u have a battery backup unit installed or if you have a UPS (Uninteruptable power supply)

Will the battery realize the power is out?..And shut down the controller properly?

Thanks again for the many replies. 

Love to see the normal prodigy builds. No offence to prodigy M but if you don't need to expand beyond one PCIe device, you'll end up with a much more awesome build just like this one.

Love to see the normal prodigy builds. No offence to prodigy M but if you don't need to expand beyond one PCIe device, you'll end up with a much more awesome build just like this one.

Cheers mate, really appreciate the feedback. Thanks for checking it out!

Oh yeah that's right just had a look at your rig I remember that from the live stream not too long ago! Man incredible work I must say, I need another project soon as I haven't built a pc for a while now. Thinking of doing a full blown water prodigy build as well. Yours looks fantastic, I love green themed builds, my next build will be green me think.