Bitfenix Prodigy RAID 5 file server 15,000,000,000,000 bytes (15TB)

How do you setup your fileserver (in Win 7?) Really curious (software wise) 

Also, did you take out your ODD Cage and ghetto mount the Recon? 

Great build nonetheless. 

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

I am thinking of swapping out the i3 and putting in a low power pentium chip. We shall see. The HD4000 graphics on the i3 sure are a nice feature though.

U should made it AMD based. AMD Sempron 145 can be overclocked to 3.5-3.7ghz, easy. Even unlcoked to a dual core (but it might have stability issues on the 2nd core, alot of people get it working fine)(its one overpowered sempron..)

45W TDP too.

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

What's linus's name on the forum...Must tag...MUST BE BOTW

@LinusTechTips :P

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

Its @LinusTech actually, i think

I suck with names :(

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

It's just a mystery to me how people are able to do such a clean job with cable management. Insane build, shows the versatility of the Prodigy!

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

How do you setup your fileserver (in Win 7?) Really curious (software wise) 

Also, did you take out your ODD Cage and ghetto mount the Recon? 

Great build nonetheless. 

This is running Windows 8. However the same concept would apply if using 7. All I've done is created folders and given them share permissions to the user accounts I've created. If your unsure of how to do this just type into youtube or google, there a many great tutorials out there. The ODD cage is still in place, if I had taken it out the HDD bay cage wouldn't have any support at the top. Thanks for the view mate how this answered your questions somewhat..

Use Windows Server 2012 (free via msdn subscription, full legit, just sign up for a websitespark thing with MS, put random info : http://7pmtech.com/threads/get-partial-msdn-subscription-free-for-3-years.3368/

)

I am thinking of doing this mate, as I have just enrolled as a full time student again doing a diploma in webDevelopment. Really haven't had the time though however I might make that my mid semester project to install it and learn my way around the OS. So yeah I can get it for free through MSDN, gotta love it aye lol

U should made it AMD based. AMD Sempron 145 can be overclocked to 3.5-3.7ghz, easy. Even unlcoked to a dual core (but it might have stability issues on the 2nd core, alot of people get it working fine)(its one overpowered sempron..)

45W TDP too.

Honestly the lower power the better, the cpu doesn't have to powerful here. Most of the time it's just sitting there idling. Don't really wanna spend any more money on it TBH lol has already cost me a fair bit as you could imagine. None the less thanks for the input.

I suck with names :(

Thankyou very much for the thought :D

It's just a mystery to me how people are able to do such a clean job with cable management. Insane build, shows the versatility of the Prodigy!

Cheers mate, preciate the comment. Honestly it takes just a little bit of patience and planning. I did the cabling within two hours one Saturday afternoon. A little bit of effort for a much clearer look, I mean when I spend this kind of money on a build I do like to take the time and make it look as good as I can, just a few simple ideas and it comes together so much better. Thanks for the insight :)

Hold on, I've seen this somewhere before! :D

Ah well, I can compliment twice, it's well deserved in this case.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Hold on, I've seen this somewhere before! :D

Ah well, I can compliment twice, it's well deserved in this case.

You would have seen it in the 10+ TB topic, thanks for kind words mate!

This is running Windows 8. However the same concept would apply if using 7. All I've done is created folders and given them share permissions to the user accounts I've created. If your unsure of how to do this just type into youtube or google, there a many great tutorials out there. The ODD cage is still in place, if I had taken it out the HDD bay cage wouldn't have any support at the top. Thanks for the view mate how this answered your questions somewhat..

So you just leave it idle the whole time? 

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

So you just leave it idle the whole time? 

Basically yeah, it's only duty is to serve out files when requested

Wow. That sata management reminds me of this http://i.stack.imgur.com/VWNCs.jpg

That's an awesome photo, I've seen some well thought out cabling before in server rooms, looks so cool. Mine is a really miniaturized version I guess lol thanks for posting!

That's an awesome photo, I've seen some well thought out cabling before in server rooms, looks so cool. Mine is a really miniaturized version I guess lol thanks for posting!

Oh dear lord, the cable tidiness fetishist inside of me just had a little moment... :lol:

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

How much is the total cost? I'm really jelly of this build right now. D: I would love to build one, but I'd have no use out of it. :P

Oh dear lord, the cable tidiness fetishist inside of me just had a little moment... :lol:

haha glad you like it mate!

How much is the total cost? I'm really jelly of this build right now. D: I would love to build one, but I'd have no use out of it. :P

Bit over 2K AUS, however you could do a couple things differently and it'd work out a lot cheaper. You could down spec the PSU, MOBO, CPU, HDD'S, SSD pretty much and it'd work out a whole lot cheaper, reason I took this route is could I had a good paying job at the time. Also if u wanted to run the RAID off the MOBO you could save $600 and not invest in a RAID card like here. Though I decided to go all out, this being the end result. Something that'll last me at least a decade so I'm not to fussed over cost.

Bit over 2K AUS, however you could do a couple things differently and it'd work out a lot cheaper. You could down spec the PSU, MOBO, CPU, HDD'S, SSD pretty much and it'd work out a whole lot cheaper, reason I took this route is could I had a good paying job at the time. Also if u wanted to run the RAID off the MOBO you could save $600 and not invest in a RAID card like here. Though I decided to go all out, this being the end result. Something that'll last me at least a decade so I'm not to fussed over cost.

Well said sir. I'm looking for a smaller form factor and less cost (probably RAID 1) with two REDs (3TB). Could you recommend me some parts? 

Edit: Couldn't you use this as a backup server as well? Would it backup incrementally or just back up your whole computer? 

Well said sir. I'm looking for a smaller form factor and less cost (probably RAID 1) with two REDs (3TB). Could you recommend me some parts? 

Edit: Couldn't you use this as a backup server as well? Would it backup incrementally or just back up your whole computer? 

If your going to go with on board RAID, don't cheap out on your MOBO, at least get something quality like a ASUS or GIGABYTE board, as for case not too sure you'll have to hunt through a few to see what you personally like. Picking the components for a build I find is the most enjoyable part of the process. If it's just a server build get a lower power CPU and don't use a PSU of more than 400W as it's not needed. I have a 400W PSU in here with 5 drives and it comes no where near utilizing it. Good luck with your build.