Cooler Master Closed-Loop Coolers To Be Pulled From U.S. Market

durfyn00b

Thanks to the court decision made on September 23rd, Cooler Master's closed-loop coolers are not allowed to be sold (specifically the ones that use a pump mounted on a cold plate) in the US.

Cooler Master did not confirm nor deny if the cooler used in the R9 Fury X reference card will be affected.

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/injunction-cooler-master-closed-loop-coolers,30175.html#xtor=RSS-998

EDIT: Forgot to mention that this goes back to December of 2014, where the court ruled in favor of Asetek when they sued Cooler Master for patent infringement. Source to that one: http://www.asetek.com/press-room/news/2014/asetek-announces-significant-victory-in-intellectual-property-lawsuit/

I personally think that the R9 Fury X might not be affected, but if it is, it's likely going to be pulled off the shelves for a while until AMD can find a replacement for the cooler. Maybe they'll go with Asetek? :P

inb4 $2000 Fury X

/s

No, I'm just kidding.

I'm curious to see how this affects AMD's Fury X. They certainly have some sort of contract with Cooler Master.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Why is it being pulled?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Also guys, read this :

In December 2014, Asetek won a case against Cooler Master Incorporated that awarded Asetek $404,941 in damage, which represented a 14.5 percent royalty fee on all sales of Cooler Master-branded closed-loop water cooling units that use a cold plate mounted pump from 2012 until the date of the judgement. Cooler Master appealed that decision, but the result of that effort was not a pretty one for the company.On September 23, the court again sided with Asetek and denied Cooler Master's demands. Not only did the ruling remain in Asetek's favor, the court increased the fine from 14.5 percent to 25.735 percent on all sales from January 1, 2015 and later. Additionally, the court issued a permanent injunction barring Cooler Master from selling closed-loop coolers that use a pump mounted on top of a cold plate in the United States.

It seems this fight between Asetek and Cooler Master has been going on for a little while.

AMD shot itself in the foot, again. D:

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

So this applies only to a cold plate cooler?

the court issued a permanent injunction barring Cooler Master from selling closed-loop coolers that use a pump mounted on top of a cold plate in the United States.

Why is it being pulled?

because of this.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/455546-asetek-%E2%80%93-court-confirms-judgement-increases-damages-award-and-issues-injunction/

alot of people call ASETEK a patent troll, but forget that ASETEK is the company behind nearly all AOI coolers and that companies like corsair only slam their own branding onto itand sell it.

Now it seems that CM made some AOI coolers together with ASETEK but also some without ASETEK, but all of the coolers appear to fall under the same patent which is owned by ASETEK, so CM made it's self guilty of copy right infrication.

It however is not confirmed which coolers do and which don't infringe it, altough it's said that the watercooled fury-x also get's in trouble through this.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

So this applies only to a cold plate cooler?

the court issued a permanent injunction barring Cooler Master from selling closed-loop coolers that use a pump mounted on top of a cold plate in the United States.

My god thats pretty crap.Why doesnt this apply to other vendors?

because of this.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/455546-asetek-%E2%80%93-court-confirms-judgement-increases-damages-award-and-issues-injunction/

alot of people call ASETEK a patent troll, but forget that ASETEK is the company behind nearly all AOI coolers and that companies like corsair only slam their own branding onto itand sell it.

Now it seems that CM made some AOI coolers together with ASETEK but also some without ASETEK, but all of the coolers appear to fall under the same patent which is owned by ASETEK, so CM made it's self guilty of copy right infrication.

It however is not confirmed which coolers do and which don't infringe it, altough it's said that the watercooled fury-x also get's in trouble through this.

Thank you!

That really sucks, but CM should have been careful...

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Every AIO sold in US is either made by, or lisenced by Asetek. Except those who put the pump somewhere other than on the cold plate. Only Swiftech and EK can escape this curse now. I know some people defend Asetek doesn't have the monopoly. However they certainly has the biggest slice of the pie. Big enough to influence the market price. Let's see if the price of AIO will go up or down.

Maybe that is a good thing. It forces other manufacturers to innovate and come up with new ideas and designs. We'll see.

Every AIO sold in US is either made by, or lisenced by Asetek. Except those who put the pump somewhere other than on the cold plate. Only Swiftech and EK can escape this curse now.

Maybe that is a good thing. It forces other manufacturers to innovate and come up with new ideas and designs. We'll see.

So those who put the pump on the fan itself are fine......

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Every AIO sold in US is either made by, or lisenced by Asetek. Except those who put the pump somewhere other than on the cold plate. Only Swiftech and EK can escape this curse now. I know some people defend Asetek doesn't have the monopoly. However they certainly has the biggest slice of the pie. Big enough to influence the market price. Let's see if the price of AIO will go up or down.

Thanks for that info i didnt know they held so much rights.

So those who put the pump on the fan itself are fine......

Yeah, I forget that one. Good caught. :P

Yeah, I forget that one. Good caught. :P

I have to say, the AIO that use that design are at least quite good and priced reasonably. They can never be Seidon 120V cheap.

PMSL

I have to say, the AIO that use that design are at least quite good and priced reasonably. They can never be Seidon 120V cheap.

BEcause seidon 120vs are trash.

I have an antec 650 pretty nifty coolers

BEcause seidon 120vs are trash.

I have an antec 650 pretty nifty coolers

Seidon 120V are actually quite good-I own one. The only issue is the stock fan, which is LAF with CPU running above stock and also sleeve bearing. I was going to get some Corsair SP120 for it due to them actually being quieter and producing more airflow, but I just never got around to ordering them. 

PMSL

How does this affect the warranty for your cooler if your cooler is no longer available in the US I wonder, I am sort of concerned as I have a Nepton 240m from Cooler Master.  

Thanks to the court decision made on September 23rd, Cooler Master's closed-loop coolers are not allowed to be sold (specifically the ones that use a pump mounted on a cold plate) in the US.

People will just buy them from Europe, then  :P

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.

I don't think this will affect the Fury X at all. The pump isn't a separate product, its a sub-component of a whole product. The only way this could affect the Fury X is if they were actually manufactured in the US, which as far as I know they aren't.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

Actually, there is another exception. Corair has some AIOs OEM'd by CoolIT. CoolIT was sued by Asetek over them but it was ruled that due to the Corsair AIOs having some custom design to them it did not fall under infringement of Asetek's patents.

Seidon 120V are actually quite good-I own one. The only issue is the stock fan, which is LAF with CPU running above stock and also sleeve bearing. I was going to get some Corsair SP120 for it due to them actually being quieter and producing more airflow, but I just never got around to ordering them.

Dont get corsair af. They suck, no really they do. I bought a twin pack.... Buy a NF-F12 pwm fan. They are ugly af. But they are easier to fine tune the rpm.... Corsair Af isn't that good for low rpm control...

I don't think this will affect the Fury X at all. The pump isn't a separate product, its a sub-component of a whole product. The only way this could affect the Fury X is if they were actually manufactured in the US, which as far as I know they aren't.

Cooler Master AIOs also can't be imported into the US by this ruling.

Cooler Master AIOs also can't be imported into the US by this ruling.

But that's the thing, The Fury X is not by itself a 'Cooler Master AIO' cooler. The complete product is an AMD R9 Fury X graphics card and will be marketed as such, the parts that make it up are irrelevant as long as the individual parts are not being sold separately. Lets say Company X makes paints that are banned in America for legal issues; if someone in China makes a painting using those paints, is the final portrait banned from being sold in America? No, because a picture is an entirely different entity than raw paints and the picture is not being sold with the intention of somehow being used as paint. Selling the complete product 'R9 Fury X' in no way competes with the sale of an Asetek AIO cooler. One is a graphics card the other is a CPU cooler; two different products, two different markets.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB