Should we support AMD?

Even if AMD goes under monopolies in tech do not last long. IBM had one after they came out with the 360. They were to computers what Ma Bell was to telephones. Reagan I believe stopped anti-trust action against IBM. Their monopoly did not last long. Neither would intel's

I can't imagine AMD would go bust, bought out by someone like Samsung, yes, but bust, no.

I fear if they did go under, GPU prices would go though the roof. Nvida wouldn't have a monopoly on graphics solutions,as you know Intel have a go at it, so probably wouldn't fall foul of the law, but they'd have a monopoly on the the discrete card market. "I'd love to buy the new graphics card, but it costs more than I paid for my car"

Support, no they can take care of themselves. Buy their shit? When it's worth buying.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Sauce? That would be pretty beast, scalable performance.

Aw, my bad. Might have been in some Zen rumors but only thing I can find now, is Intel's SkyLake scaling suspiciusly.

The original "inventor" is SoftMachines http://softmachines.com/technology/

Anyway for SkyLake, some german site noticed this http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Skylake-mit-inversem-Hyper-Threading-2779793.html

Don't worry Apple will save us with their next generation of CPUs that can power MacBooks

Spoiler
Spoiler

Case Corsair Air 540 CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600 GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 iCX Motherboard Asus X370-F Memory G.Skill Flare X 16GB (2x8) 2400MHz Display Asus VG248QE Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512GB - Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD - 1TB Seagate Barracuda - 1TB WD Blue OS MS X Pro Peripherals Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire -  Razer DeathAdder 2013

Spoiler

Case 15.4" Mid 2012 MacBook Pro CPU Intel Core i7-3720QM GPU Nvidia GT650M Memory Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz Display 1680x1050 AntiGlare Display Storage 1TB 5400RPM or Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD OS OS X Yosemite (Maybe El Capitan?) - BootCamp MS X Pro Peripherals Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 -  Razer DeathAdder 2013 - Mionix Naos 7000 - Logitech K120 - Razer Tartarus Keypad

Only what it makes sense to support: Their GPUs are still excellent products that remain competitive. No, not perfect, but also no the "crap lol heat up your house during the winter" people usually assume. 

Their CPUs I just cannot in good conscience recommend: I could 2 years ago but it's way too outdated tech today.

I agree with this position.

Should you support AMD? Sure, if you find their products compelling.

Should you intentionally buy an inferior CPU just to help them? I mean, that's a personal decision to make, but I strongly disagree. Some of AMD's CPU lineup still makes sense, like some of the APU's (but even then, their CPU is holding them back), or the Athlon 860K for entry level gaming PC's.

But buying an FX series CPU is a waste of your money right now.

As for buying AMD GPU's to "help support them"? Fuck that. Buy AMD GPU's because they're excellent fucking value. AMD's GPU lineup is very competitive with NVIDIA right now, despite what many a fanboy would have you believe.

Sure there are some products that aren't as good as their NVIDIA counterpart, and there are some that blow the NVIDIA equivalent out of the water. It's not a clear cut situation. But in pretty much any GPU segment, buying an AMD GPU for gaming is still a good choice. Mid-High/High End is excellent for AMD right now, with the R9 390 and 390x doing excellent. the R9 Fury is doing alright, and the Fury X is doing mediocre (Still not bad, but the 980 Ti hands down beats it).

Want to help AMD? Buy their GPU's.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Appalachian power company is a monopoly here no competition and cost of power is outrageous I pay 350 a month for power

Appalachian power company is a monopoly here no competition and cost of power is outrageous I pay 350 a month for power

And this is relevant to the topic how, exactly...?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

The point is monopolies happen legal or not support what works for you I choose AMD because it works and it does what it claims and frankly I like red on black not much on green and the only NVIDIOT cards that will work for me are 980s and I can get 3 amd for the price of one NVIDIOT as for relevant cutting costs start somewhere my power bill is forced to be more evident.

I agree with this position.

Should you support AMD? Sure, if you find their products compelling.

Should you intentionally buy an inferior CPU just to help them? I mean, that's a personal decision to make, but I strongly disagree. Some of AMD's CPU lineup still makes sense, like some of the APU's (but even then, their CPU is holding them back), or the Athlon 860K for entry level gaming PC's.

But buying an FX series CPU is a waste of your money right now.

As for buying AMD GPU's to "help support them"? Fuck that. Buy AMD GPU's because they're excellent fucking value. AMD's GPU lineup is very competitive with NVIDIA right now, despite what many a fanboy would have you believe.

Sure there are some products that aren't as good as their NVIDIA counterpart, and there are some that blow the NVIDIA equivalent out of the water. It's not a clear cut situation. But in pretty much any GPU segment, buying an AMD GPU for gaming is still a good choice. Mid-High/High End is excellent for AMD right now, with the R9 390 and 390x doing excellent. the R9 Fury is doing alright, and the Fury X is doing mediocre (Still not bad, but the 980 Ti hands down beats it).

Want to help AMD? Buy their GPU's.

Lets be blunt. Your better off buying AMD's older CPU as some of the Phenom II will run on AM3+ motherboards-thus getting the newer features. And they play games far smoother than anything from the FX line. And at around 4GHz They shouldn't even bottleneck a GTX 970 for example too badly, 18-21% at the worst.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Lets be blunt. Your better off buying AMD's older CPU as some of the Phenom II will run on AM3+ motherboards-thus getting the newer features. And they play games far smoother than anything from the FX line. And at around 4GHz They shouldn't even bottleneck a GTX 970 for example too badly, 18-21% at the worst.

Phenom II X6 1100T can actually beat an i5 2500K in modern games that use 6 threads such as MGS V, Witcher 3 and GTA V

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Happy with my i7, but i fully support their GPU's, never let me down.

REDLINECore i7 6700k 4.8ghz 1.37v.Noctua NH-u12s.MSI Z170A Gaming M7.16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury Black.MSI Gaming R9 390 8GB Crossfire + GTX 780 PhysX.Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD.Fractal Design Define R5 Midi Black.SeaSonic X Series 1050w Gold.Logitech G302 Deadalus Prime.Ducky DK2108 Zero Mech Cherry Blue.

Even though AMD may make inferior CPUs compared to Intel, competition is still a requirement for innovation, so do we buy inferior products to support the underdog in the hopes of them producing great hardware again? I suppose that's on the individual. However, AMD needs to get its marketing together. I don't think Bulldozer would've been considered a fail if they hadn't been overly optimistic in their claims.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

You should buy a product because it's something you want and it is priced and performs competitively or superiorly -- not because you feel sorry for the company.

Even though AMD may make inferior CPUs compared to Intel, competition is still a requirement for innovation, so do we buy inferior products to support the underdog in the hopes of them producing great hardware again? I suppose that's on the individual. However, AMD needs to get its marketing together. I don't think Bulldozer would've been considered a fail if they hadn't been overly optimistic in their claims.

Is it a requirement? It's been over four years since Intel had any kind of competition, and yet their first deviation from the tick-tock cycle seems to be because they are genuinely approaching the limit of what is even possible with silicon.

To that end their real competition is from companies like Global Foundries, not AMD.

REDLINECore i7 6700k 4.8ghz 1.37v.Noctua NH-u12s.MSI Z170A Gaming M7.16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury Black.MSI Gaming R9 390 8GB Crossfire + GTX 780 PhysX.Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD.Fractal Design Define R5 Midi Black.SeaSonic X Series 1050w Gold.Logitech G302 Deadalus Prime.Ducky DK2108 Zero Mech Cherry Blue.

inb4 "Zen" reks all Intel CPUs...

I'm honestly just expecting Zen to be another Bulldozer disaster.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I'm honestly just expecting Zen to be another Bulldozer disaster.

Unfortunately, AMD dug themselves a hole because of their advertising. Bulldozer was an overly advertised product - AMD claimed it would destroy the competition. It didn't - if they had just said "hey, we're creating a CPU that's adequate in every general task and great at heavily multi-threaded scenarios," I think they'd be totally fine. I also found Hawaii and Fiji to be disappointing. Yes, they offer great performance, but it's not within AMD's claims, especially Fiji. Remember the benchmarks comparing Fury X to Titan X? It supposedly wiped the floor with Titan X, but in real world benchmarks, it didn't. People might say "Well, once they release drivers, it'll be better." That's not the point. They were claiming the performance is already achievable. You can't advertise future numbers to be a selling point of your product.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Honestly I have no empathy for AMD. They are a big company and they are fully capable of developing good products. Why they don't do that is beyond me.

AMD might be in trouble, but they are not going anywhere. Even if they bankrupt (not likely) someone will buy them, rebrand and continue. That's how corporate works.

I think AMD's no.1 priority should be CPUs. Intel is already playing a monopoly, the prices are outrageous in my opinion.

Well I didn't buy a 290 for nothing. People complain that it's a hot card but hell that means it's fucking working!

Well I didn't buy a 290 for nothing. People complain that it's a hot card but hell that means it's fucking working!

The high-end Nvidia cards are hot as well, I don't know why people would be complaining about it.

The high-end Nvidia cards are hot as well, I don't know why people would be complaining about it.

I know, and the 300 series has gotten a lot better, not to mention the R9 Fury Nano. I still like my reference 290 though, it's loud and that means it's doing it's job lol.

Unfortunately, AMD dug themselves a hole because of their advertising. Bulldozer was an overly advertised product - AMD claimed it would destroy the competition. It didn't - if they had just said "hey, we're creating a CPU that's adequate in every general task and great at heavily multi-threaded scenarios," I think they'd be totally fine. I also found Hawaii and Fiji to be disappointing. Yes, they offer great performance, but it's not within AMD's claims, especially Fiji. Remember the benchmarks comparing Fury X to Titan X? It supposedly wiped the floor with Titan X, but in real world benchmarks, it didn't. People might say "Well, once they release drivers, it'll be better." That's not the point. They were claiming the performance is already achievable. You can't advertise future numbers to be a selling point of your product.

Indeed -- it's not as if the Titan X's own performance won't increase with driver improvements as well.

Honestly I have no empathy for AMD. They are a big company and they are fully capable of developing good products. Why they don't do that is beyond me.

AMD might be in trouble, but they are not going anywhere. Even if they bankrupt (not likely) someone will buy them, rebrand and continue. That's how corporate works.

I think AMD's no.1 priority should be CPUs. Intel is already playing a monopoly, the prices are outrageous in my opinion.

AMD took a bet that non-professional software/game developers would optimize their software/games for multithreaded workload, that's why they were so insistent on creating "true" 4 cores, and "true" 8 cores on their initial releases.

Unfotunate for them, they simply just lost the bet, and have been trying to recover since.

As far as their GPU's are concerned, they just need better marketing. Currently they pretty much have Nvidia beat on every single pricepoint below the GTX 980.

inb4 "Zen" reks all Intel CPUs...

If that happens, I buy every forum member a beer.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!