Should we support AMD?

Isn't 970 better than 390? I think it competes with the 390x?

no. 390x = 980 > 390 > 970 = 290x

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

No. AMD fucked up FX, they fucked up the 300 series, they fucked up any reason to be supported.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Well AMD has stated that Zen competes with Skylake which is a 14nm and AMD had to go the Global foundries and use their 16nm process.

But I believe that AMD needs to be the first with 10nm chips to be a force in the CPU market, hopefully post Zen will be 10nm.

On the Graphics AMD needs to better their drivers and push the limits of HBM because the helped design it.

Aww, I thought Zen would have the finfet or whatever they call it. The thingy smaller than 14nm :(

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

I'd skip on the processors because frankly they suck, but I am totally behind buying AMD GPUs. Honestly, its not even like you're getting a bad deal, for the same price an R9 390x trades blows with a GTX 970, the R9 Fury trades blows with the GTX 980, and the same with the Fury X and GTX 980ti. Other than rampant fanboyism or an overwhelming need for CUDA, there's no real reason to pick Nvidia over AMD.

Geforce experience is pretty handy tho

no. 390x = 980 > 390 > 970 = 290x

It's far behind here though.. like 20% behind.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+R9+290X+%2F+390X

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

you assume too much. They can just change base or the gov just won't do anything.

If people complain the government will do something, the only time this isn't true is through lobbying, for example, Comcast and Time Warner's mutual none competition agreement, but these companies have bought many votes in DC so it is ignored, Nvidia and Intel don't line politicians pockets like that so they don't have that way to keep a monopoly trial from happening, unless they both start producing the others product......hmm that would work technically.

Edited by AresKrieger

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Always buys what gives best value for your work.

FX CPUs are actually the beston the market for virtualization, rendering and Linux in general. Sure, Intel's parts do beat them in these categories, but not at the price FX 8300 + 970 board comes. If your workload can utilize them weak cores (number crunching, virtual CPUs, a good scheduler) Intel has no "good" offering.

For GPUs, It is even funnier. Nvidia has the marketing, AMD has the hardware. In RAW performance, Nvidia has no competitor. In games, AMD is catching up on drivers and starting to beat higher priced cards.

But after all, even if AMD runs out of money, what will happen? What happened to Apple when they were doing poorly. Their main competitors will keep them alive else they will end up even worse. Microsoft bought a large portion of Apple. Intel and Nvidia would too. AMD dies and Intel+Nvidia will be split into useless pieces that can't hold on.

No. AMD fucked up FX, they fucked up the 300 series, they fucked up any reason to be supported.

bringing FX to desktop was a mistake AMD admitted. That, however, doesn't make it a bad product, just not one you want for WOT.

How did the fk up 300 series? By delivering faster cards for less money?

Snooli, on 25 Sept 2015 - 3:01 PM, said:

bringing FX to desktop was a mistake AMD admitted. That, however, doesn't make it a bad product, just not one you want for WOT.

But aren't they EXACTLY like the 200 series? Like pretty much nothing's changed? Just an exact rebrand.

And I think their Fury X gets beaten by the 980ti and even costs the same? (less bang for buck) ? Or am I completely wrong here?

Currently - the only Nvidia card that's actually better is the 980 Ti. In every other category AMD simple have a better offer.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Phenom II X4 to an FX 8350 on the same motherboard, everything ran slower. They are a bad product period. the 300 series is just rebadging the entire 200 series and calling them new cards. Hawaii>Grenada is an example.

PMSL

Phenom II X4 to an FX 8350 on the same motherboard, everything ran slower. They are a bad product period. the 300 series is just rebadging the entire 200 series and calling them new cards. Hawaii>Grenada is an example.

And they are still superior - 390>970, 390X almost as good as 980 while being 100$ cheaper, Fury > 980, 380 > 960, 370 > 750 Ti, 270X=950 for cheaper.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

But aren't they EXACTLY like the 200 series? Like pretty much nothing's changed? Just an exact rebrand.

And I think their Fury X gets beaten by the 980ti and even costs the same? (less bang for buck) ? Or am I completely wrong here?

380(285) is only 1 year old.

390 and 390X have improvements in power delivery resulting in lower power draw than the 290 and 290X

Fury is better than the 980

370X and 380X are still coming.

Since AMD is in a lot of trouble at the moment,

should we consider buying Radeon Graphics or AMD Processors, in order to support them back up, and boycut Nvidia a bit?

Bad idea. No corporate welfare. If they can't compete on merit alone, it's not the responsibility of the consumer to give up all of their power of choice and artificially animate their lifeless corpse.

We don't know that yet, do we?

-Besides, the maker of it left, so we're kinda stuck at zen for eternity. xD

What we know about Zen is that AMD is promising a 40% IPC increase, which doesn't sound like it's enough to completely catch up Intel's current CPUs, let alone anything they release by the time Zen is finally available for purchase.

We are not stuck with Zen for eternity. Keller has been back and forth between AMD and other corporations for years, they do not need him to develop a new CPU (though it could be argued they need him to develop a good CPU).

don_svetlio, on 25 Sept 2015 - 3:10 PM, said:

Currently - the only Nvidia card that's actually better is the 980 Ti. In every other category AMD simple have a better offer.

Really?

Maybe this is only true in case of overclocking?

-But for someone like me who doesn't overclock at all, it seems like all benchmarks show Geforce as superior atm.

Really?

Maybe this is only true in case of overclocking?

-But for someone like me who doesn't overclock at all, it seems like all benchmarks show Geforce as superior atm.

nope - stock 380 is 15% faster than a stock 960

Stock 390 is 10% faster than a stock 970

stock 390X is actually the same as a stock 980

stock Fury is a LOT faster than a stock 980

Stock Fury X = stock 980 Ti

If you don't OC maxwell it's utter crap

For the GPUs

They have better power delivery and better chips themselves for higher clocks. They have better drivers, then 200 had when they launched. AMD is not calling them new. Fury X is the only card being beaten by Nvidia's price comparable card. And don't try to tell me Nvidia never rebadged, they might be even worse on this, AMD only admits it and allows you to use old cards with new ones. Something Nvidia's ego couldn't allow them.

For the CPUs

One more time. They are not a good desktop product. They are bad desktop products. But they are NOT bad products. Their uses are not in benchmarks, nor in game. They shine where you don't look. Doesn't mean everybody doesn't care. I don't expect the majority of PC users to be doing virtualization, and that is why FX wasn't a comercial succes. It is a server architecture after all.

For the GPUs

They have better power delivery and better chips themselves for higher clocks. They have better drivers, then 200 had when they launched. AMD is not calling them new. Fury X is the only card being beaten by Nvidia's price comparable card. And don't try to tell me Nvidia never rebadged, they might be even worse on this, AMD only admits it and allows you to use old cards with new ones. Something Nvidia's ego couldn't allow them.

For the CPUs

One more time. They are not a good desktop product. They are bad desktop products. But they are NOT bad products. Their uses are not in benchmarks, nor in game. They shine where you don't look. Doesn't mean everybody doesn't care. I don't expect the majority of PC users to be doing virtualization, and that is why FX wasn't a comercial succes. It is a server architecture after all.

Wow! Someone who remembers the entire 8000 series becoming the 9000 series and then parts of it the 200 series :D

Its the markets natural selection.

We shouldn't buy products because we feel sorry for them.

If they go bankrupt who is gonna continue driver support for your new GPU?

Buy what you feel is best. Always.

I don't believe that natural selection can be used to describe Nvidia's bully tactics with their "black box" software and underhand practices. I think people have been far too kind to Nvidia considering the sorts of things that they have tried to get away with.

In my mind AMD are a far more trustworthy GPU company, and because of this, that is where my money goes.

I have no experience of their CPU'ssi I can't comment on them but I have friends who use them are swear by them.

Wow! Someone who remembers the entire 8000 series becoming the 9000 series and then parts of it the 200 series :D

Still doesn't give AMD a get out of jail free card.

PMSL

Still doesn't give AMD a get out of jail free card.

Why? it did for Nvidia? Nobody mentioned it then, everyone rolled with it. Why should AMD's case be any different? People who bought the 8800 GTX just swapped a Bios and got a 9800 GTX. But Nvidia locked SLI and stuff cause "WE SAY NO!". Sorry but Nvidia are just as guilty of this as AMD.

I have a fully working 8800 GTX right here, kinda hard not to see it.