Corsair RMi or HXi?

Jacktastic-Mofo
Go to solution Solved by quan289,

I don't want any other recommendations for PSU's I have my reasons for liking these. I'm simply asking which should I pick up a RM750i for about 130 or a HX750i for about 150?

The HXi and the RMi series are essentially based on the same custom platform from CWT. Even though the HXi does offer better efficiency and should be placed higher than the RMi series, during the ~9 month time differences in release, Corsair / CWT decided to work on the platform more and improved on it in some areas (increase hold up time, better voltage regulation, ripple suppression, transient loads, etc). Here's a review on the 1000w version : http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/RM1000i/1.html

Since the RMi series is cheaper, has a 7 year warranty, utilized Corsair Link as well, I would go that over the HXi.

I don't want any other recommendations for PSU's I have my reasons for liking these.

Just saying, you wanting a Corsair PSU over the highly regarded G2 is like buying a mid range Nvidia card over AMD even though AMD is more bang for the buck because you have your reasons for liking Nvidia.

...actually it may be worse because at least Nvidia has a least one perk that comes with it (i.e. Shawodplay).

But it's your computer and your money, I won't press it any further.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

Please read the rest of this forum.

For compatibility we have *ahem*

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=evga+power+supply+cables&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3Aevga+power+supply+cables

http://cablemod.com/compatibility/

http://www.icemodz.eu/psu-list/

EVGA has ten years on the high-end stuff and 7 years on nearly everything else and I've had great experiences with EVGA.

Everyone brings up valid points here. By no means are very many of Corsair power supplys' bad, they are simply over priced. I can almost gurantee that you will find everything inside a Corsair PSU that you would find in EVGAs. I can vouche for EVGA's customer support. They gave me no hassles, was almost a no questions asked deal. They gave my cousin a GTX 970 instead of a GTX 960 because of RMA experiences. As for cable mods you will find all custom cables that support HXi from cable mods or other sites will also have a EVGA equivalent.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I don't want any other recommendations for PSU's I have my reasons for liking these. I'm simply asking which should I pick up a RM750i for about 130 or a HX750i for about 150?

The HXi and the RMi series are essentially based on the same custom platform from CWT. Even though the HXi does offer better efficiency and should be placed higher than the RMi series, during the ~9 month time differences in release, Corsair / CWT decided to work on the platform more and improved on it in some areas (increase hold up time, better voltage regulation, ripple suppression, transient loads, etc). Here's a review on the 1000w version : http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/RM1000i/1.html

Since the RMi series is cheaper, has a 7 year warranty, utilized Corsair Link as well, I would go that over the HXi.

The HXi and the RMi series are essentially based on the same custom platform from CWT. Even though the HXi does offer better efficiency and should be placed higher than the RMi series, Corsair / CWT decided to work on the platform more and improved on it in some areas (increase hold up time, better voltage regulation, ripple suppression, transient loads, etc). Here's a review on the 1000w version : http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/RM1000i/1.html

This is the type of answer I've been looking for, thank you!

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

This is the type of answer I've been looking for, thank you!

*Ignores valid advice that everybody else has given that has pointed out the same thing yet with better suggestions in mind*

Seriously, this is so rude. Ask for advice from people that know more than you and throwing their advice out the window. That is a quick and easy way to get fired from a job and lose mentors that mean a lot to you.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

*Ignores valid advice that everybody else has given that has pointed out the same thing yet with better suggestions in mind*

Seriously, this is so rude. Ask for advice from people that know more than you and throwing their advice out the window. That is a quick and easy way to get fired from a job and lose mentors that mean a lot to you.

I have preferences for choosing the Corsair Power Supplies. You just seem very butt hurt that I didn't want to choose the part you wanted. I have many Corsair components and they're all amazing, I've never had a single problem with them and they've always been quick and kind whenever I have had small problems or questions. I've also been given many valid reasons to choose the Corsair Power Supplies.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

I have preferences for choosing the Corsair Power Supplies. You just seem very butt hurt that I didn't want to choose the part you wanted. I have many Corsair components and they're all amazing, I've never had a single problem with them and they've always been quick and kind whenever I have had small problems or questions. I've also been given many valid reasons to choose the Corsair Power Supplies.

no its more that you are more fanboyish for corsair, i get that everyone is a fanboy towards certain things but there is a certain limit that you shouldn't pass like spending a lot more for something that performs very similar to another thing even though the other thing is cheaper

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Let me break this down so you can understand:

Corsair does not "make" their PSUs - they go to various OEMs to do this. Corsair's influence on the PSU is "Hey, Channel Well, can you make us a PSU that can provide X watts and is non-modular?" and CWT replying with, "Why yes, this design we've used for the last 3 years in various other companies power supplies should work great for you!"

Corsair means nothing when branded on a power supply. The sticker on the side isn't worth the hike in price when it offers no tangible pros over another PSU that actually costs less (*ahem, the aforementioned EVGA G2 series).

Although you may have never had a problem with their products that doesn't make their PSUs magically perfect. They don't make them and, in all reality, they didn't likely hire Corsair employees/factory workers to put together AIO coolers as well as many other products. I do know that they have Corsair staff hired to refurbish their products (a Corsair exec told me this when I asked somewhere around here on the forum as I was curious) but that's the furthest you'll see their handiwork inside a power supply.

As for your valid reasons, they are somewhat brand-biased which is why I feel the need to explain why you should consider something else for less money that will perform the same task. Although both the HXi and RMi are very good there is still better and for less money on top of that.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

RM750i : $139.79 + 10% Promo + $20 MIR. Effectively $105.81 after MIR. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139137

750G2 : $119.99 + $20 MIR. Effectively $99.99 after MIR. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438017

Almost a $6 difference in price.

Some benefits to the RMi are thanks to the relax fan profile (fan doesn't ramp up over 1000RPM), FDB fan (less susceptible to bearing noises), and wire fan grill (unrestrictive airflow that doesn't add more turbulent noises), it offer a more quiet operation. A price adder can be due to it being a multi-rail unit as well as the ability to switch between it and single rail mode via Link depending on your preference (as well as all of the other link features that I personally don't care for).

The EVGA does offer a longer 10 year warranty and better voltage regulation on the 12v rail. You could also say that since the EVGA fan can ramp up higher, it is capable of cooling the unit better. Personally, in this situation, I'm not too against with the RMi choice. It's not a bad unit and thanks to these deals, it made it into a more viable option. Not to mentioned that I have a personal preference to multirail units.

Of course, had this been in any other situation without these sales, you should be a little more open minded to other options as well, rather than limiting yourself to a single brand. You may be overlooking some excellent unit because you did that. I mean, can I really say these bell and whistles that the RMi offer really worth $20 more ($140 vs $120)? Quite honestly, if I were to spend extra on something, I much rather have a look at the Delta build Antec HCP-750 Platinum.

You know what's even more rude?  Blatantly ignoring the request of @Jacktastic-Mofo in his original post. He specifically laid out two options, and then stated multiple times in the thread that he doesn't want to hear about other models. His reasons should be, and are, irrelevant to you. If you have no advice or recommendations for the specific question asked, then you shouldn't say anything because it is not helpful.  The bleeding arrogance of forum members that want to push people to certain models is mind blowing. I realize that what I'm about to say is loaded, and you can say whatever you want in rebuttal, but I seriously doubt you've ever used a Corsair power supply and that you just parrot what you read online.

@Jacktastic-Mofo, for what it's worth, I own two Corsair power supplies (not even as fancy as either of the two you considered) and two EVGA P2's.   I like them all.  My opinion is not biased. I would probably also suggest the RMi model because it's cheaper and just as good for demanding applications.

You know what's even more rude?  Blatantly ignoring the request of @Jacktastic-Mofo in his original post. He specifically laid out two options, and then stated multiple times in the thread that he doesn't want to hear about other models. His reasons should be, and are, irrelevant to you. If you have no advice or recommendations for the specific question asked, then you shouldn't say anything because it is not helpful.  The bleeding arrogance of forum members that want to push people to certain models is mind blowing. I realize that what I'm about to say is loaded, and you can say whatever you want in rebuttal, but I seriously doubt you've ever used a Corsair power supply and that you just parrot what you read online.

@Jacktastic-Mofo, for what it's worth, I own two Corsair power supplies (not even as fancy as either of the two you considered) and two EVGA P2's.   I like them all.  My opinion is not biased. I would probably also suggest the RMi model because it's cheaper and just as good for demanding applications.

I stated that I believed the RMi to be a better option of those two. I offered my advice and he threw it out the window. He was looking for someone to agree with him - not looking for help. I specified that the EVGA G2 is a better option seeing as it's cheaper, performs within a stone's throw in many different tests such as ripple suppression and crossloads. I'm not trying to push him towards a specific model, I'm trying to get him to spend his money better and that, within reason with what I've stated many times throughout this thread, is a better way to go about buying a power supply.

I have used Corsair PSUs. I've put together systems with AX and CX PSUs. The CX still works fine in a fairly basic rig and the AX died last month from inhaling air from carpet (well, trying at least). None of these systems are mine I should point out. Do I hold it against Corsair that the AX died? No. They were at no fault and neither was the OEM (Seasonic) as the PSU was mistreated.

My opinion is not biased, it's exactly the opposite. I'm for him buying the right equipment within his budget and, if he's considering power supplies of the prices these are listed at, he can get better.

My opinion is not biased, it's exactly the opposite. I'm for him buying the right equipment within his budget and, if he's considering power supplies of the prices these are listed at, he can get better.

That doesn't really matter, though.  

If some one says, "I can't decide if I should buy a fully-loaded Civic, or a standard-option Accord. What do you think?" ...And then gets a reply from some one stating, "Neither. Get a Mazda 6 because blah blah blah." That's not helpful. That's not what the person has selected as options.  The wonderful thing about options and preferences is that we can all have different ones and still be right. 

That doesn't really matter, though.  

If some one says, "I can't decide if I should buy a fully-loaded Civic, or a standard-option Accord. What do you think?" ...And then gets a reply from some one stating, "Neither. Get a Mazda 6 because blah blah blah." That's not helpful. That's not what the person has selected as options.  The wonderful thing about options and preferences is that we can all have different ones and still be right. 

What's wrong with a person suggesting something else and then backing up their opinions? It's especially wrong for the OP to tell them that their suggestion isn't helpful when the person posting was quite clearly pointing out that they believed the Mazda6 to be better.

He lives in the USA. He has options whether going to a store (Best Buy, Fry's etc) or ordering online. Pretending like his only two options doesn't help him when there is better for the money. With a car, at least, you can say "Well I like the seats better and I think the ride is smoother though it doesn't handle as well. Eh, I'll take it." With a PSU it's a much more linear object to buy. Although the core function of a vehicle is to take you places it does more than that, the core function of a PSU is to provide power without burning your house down. The aesthetics are subjective perhaps (he can easily remove the sticker on a PSU if he wants) and the fact that it has a Corsair sticker on it makes it no better. I'd say something about Apple and the similarities there but that's a different subject entirely. Everything is The Garage talk if you try hard enough! xD