CPU Swapping on Dell Poweredge T430

I currently have a T430 I got from work and it has a dual socket E5-2620 v4 in it. 16 cores 32 threads. I might want to upgrade the CPUs later as I have started filling up my proxmox server. I was wondering if I could change out the CPUs in it or not. I've heard that it has to be a v4 cpu to be compatable which I don't have an issue with but I want to know what my limit is. I saw some big core CPUs online for cheap like the E5-2699 v4 or the E7-8894 v4/E7-8890 v4. I assume the E5-2699 v4 would work since its an E5 and a v4 but not so sure about the E7-8894 v4/E7-8890 v4 since its an E7 but still a v4. If anyone has done this on a poweredge or in general I would like to know before I waste some money on it and not work.

24 minutes ago, Khoomn said:

I currently have a T430 I got from work and it has a dual socket E5-2620 v4 in it. 16 cores 32 threads. I might want to upgrade the CPUs later as I have started filling up my proxmox server. I was wondering if I could change out the CPUs in it or not. I've heard that it has to be a v4 cpu to be compatable which I don't have an issue with but I want to know what my limit is. I saw some big core CPUs online for cheap like the E5-2699 v4 or the E7-8894 v4/E7-8890 v4. I assume the E5-2699 v4 would work since its an E5 and a v4 but not so sure about the E7-8894 v4/E7-8890 v4 since its an E7 but still a v4. If anyone has done this on a poweredge or in general I would like to know before I waste some money on it and not work.

lga 2011-3 fits v3 and v4 xeons,
unlike v4 xeon the v3 xeons can have their turbo boost applied to all cores with some manipulations and theoretically it should work,
also im not sure that those E7 xeons are compatible with lga 2011-3

i haven't done it myself but i have pretty much knowledge about lga 2011-3 xeons as i was planning to build my pc on them before

The Xeon E7 processors were designed for quad-socket systems, and was unfortunately not listed in the Owner's Manual. Instead, only Xeon E5 v3/v4 processors were supported and listed in that. A configuration for the best performance would be dual Xeon E5-2699 v4, but models in lower tiers are also good candidates; for example, a configuration of dual E5-2682 v4 would double the core counts from dual E5-2620 v4.

Xeon E7s won't work. I believe they don't have a memory controller onboard. Those are for servers like the PowerEdge R930 that can take terabytes of RAM.

Since your machine is updated with a BIOS that can handle v4s, you have your pick of the Xeon E5-26xx / E5-46xx v3 and v4 litter.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

8 minutes ago, Bersella AI said:

The Xeon E7 processors were designed for quad-socket systems, and was unfortunately not listed in the Owner's Manual. Instead, only Xeon E5 v3/v4 processors were supported and listed in that. A configuration for the best performance would be dual Xeon E5-2699 v4, but models in lower tiers are also good candidates; for example, a configuration of dual E5-2682 v4 would double the core counts from dual E5-2620 v4.

looked it up, they have pretty good price of 60$ for 8880 v4 with 22 cores in where i live (i found 8890 v4 for 130$ and another 8880 v4 for 10$)

12 hours ago, Bersella AI said:

12 hours ago, Bersella AI said:

12 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Xeon E7s won't work. I believe they don't have a memory controller onboard. Those are for servers like the PowerEdge R930 that can take terabytes of RAM.

Since your machine is updated with a BIOS that can handle v4s, you have your pick of the Xeon E5-26xx / E5-46xx v3 and v4 litter.

So with that in mind, and my system running the 2620 v4 that are 85w, do I need to upgrade the heatsink somehow or can I leave it if i goto the 145w CPU with no issues? I'm not running them at full blast 24/7 but I do have jellyfin running transcodes on the CPU sometimes which might increase the heat a bit.

1 hour ago, Khoomn said:

So with that in mind, and my system running the 2620 v4 that are 85w, do I need to upgrade the heatsink somehow or can I leave it if i goto the 145w CPU with no issues? I'm not running them at full blast 24/7 but I do have jellyfin running transcodes on the CPU sometimes which might increase the heat a bit.

I think there's a 135w heatsink for the T430, but whatever you've got might be okay in the short term. (The WC4DX stock cooler isn't enough to keep the high wattage processors cool under sustained loads.)

If you're going to be transcoding a lot of video, it's worth installing a GPU.

From what I've read, you can only run up to 135w processors as a pair. Apparently, installing two 145w processors throws a POST error. 

I sold my soul for ProSupport.