Computers 'do not improve' pupil results, says OECD

patrick3027

Yeah, I do that too, but I personally think it's way easier to do in software, because it's easier to change things.

I tend to think of stuff, change my mind.. erase and rearrange some stuff.. Repeat, Repeat. If I did that on paper, it would be a mess and filled in a sec :P

the base idea needs to be written down, on paper or blackboard

.....the problem with that statement, is that most of the educators in this country (in my experience) are too old and don't know how to use computers properly.

Hell, my Linux class is challenging purely because the instructions are vague as shit, not because they require me to do something that's actually challenging.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

What is this? 1918?

Of course everyone at my school uses computers, we are all allowed to do research on our personal phones/iPads in lessons now

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

The way I see it computers are too useful to teach with, by that I mean any answer you want you can generally find with a computer the problem is that people won't learn problem solving skills that way (unless by problem solving you mean googling), they won't be able to solve new problems that arise if every problem is solved by looking up existing information as the information won't exist.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Well it's simple isn't it, the dicks at the school are just going to use their devices for stupid things like games and random webpages. However, schools need to understand that these sorts of things aren't options, technology is as fundamental as pen and paper in a classroom now, people are always going to find ways to misuse the resources given to them, whether it be a workbook or a computer. 

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

I wonder if the study actually looked at education programs that have properly integrate technology into the curriculum or if they based their results solely off the crude patchwork of an education system that seems to exist in most countries?

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

What does using computers have to do with grades? It would improve how good you are with computers.. your grades for classes are irrelevant to PC's IMO.

Do I have access to PC's at my school? Yes.

Does it improve learning impact? Uhh.. Try writing C# code on paper. It doesn't work.

Yeah, try OpenCL and raw x86 assembly. I made it work. My fellow classmates made it work. C# is a joke by comparison unless you're getting into ASP.NET.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

How is South Korea even a directly comparable system, Teens and everyone is grown up knowing how important school is and they show that, with sky universities. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Yeah, try OpenCL and raw x86 assembly. I made it work. My fellow classmates made it work. C# is a joke by comparison unless you're getting into ASP.NET.

Oh, I'm sorry I gave an example relevant to what I do. I should have probably gave an example I know nothing about.

Thanks for telling me what I do is a joke.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

It is about the content displayed not the medium. Their mark will be based on the quality of teacher, textbook, and their intelligence. The tablet streamlines the teaching process.

That's like saying people reading on a kindle don't grasp the story better than people who read paperback.

- snip-

What does using computers have to do with grades? It would improve how good you are with computers.. your grades for classes are irrelevant to PC's IMO.

Do I have access to PC's at my school? Yes.

Does it improve learning impact? Uhh.. Try writing C# code on paper. It doesn't work.

There's that point, but what about writing an English paper. You do it on a computer and you'll be seeing a lot of kids goofing off when they would be normally working.

Computers can serve as a distraction. 

the PCs we have in our common room, are mainly used for games and watching videos on youtube. We were also recently give tablets, not sure what others use them for but I doubt it's for work.

It's a case by case thing though (imo), some people will abuse the privilege, others will use it to aid their education.

This. People who will goof in class will do it anyway. It's the user, not the tool.

- snip-

There's that point, but what about writing an English paper. You do it on a computer and you'll be seeing a lot of kids goofing off when they would be normally working.

Computers can serve as a distraction. 

But isn't the students' problem?

I can get distracted when working on paper too, I often doodled on my paper in elementary school.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

But isn't the students' problem?

I can get distracted when working on paper too, I often doodled on my paper in elementary school.

How good were your doodles ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Obvious study has obvious conclusion...well duh...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

I'm currently reading this on my school's remote desktop server, which has a Xeon E5-2603 (2 threads) and 4 GB serving my entire school of nearly 500 people. I like this setup because if too many people get on, it gets too slow to work, and as a result, many people don't use it except the 20 or so people (including me) that don't have laptops.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

I'm currently reading this on my school's remote desktop server, which has a Xeon E5-2603 (2 threads) and 4 GB serving my entire school of nearly 500 people. I like this setup because if too many people get on, it gets too slow to work, and as a result, many people don't use it except the 20 or so people (including me) that don't have laptops.

Still uses thin clients...wow

They were all the rage in 2000

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

Still uses thin clients...wow

They were all the rage in 2000

You're right they look like this

hp_t5740e_thin_client-xl424at_abu.jpg

They use Atom N280, which is based off of the nehalem microarchitecture. CPUmark score of 286.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Try writing C# code on paper. It doesn't work.

IT WON'T COMPILE I NEED HELP OVER HERE TEACHER!!!!!

Rich Purnell Is A Steely-Eyed Missile Man

If you can compile code by hand on paper I would be impressed...

If you can compile code by hand on paper I would be impressed...

I want punch cards version, so that I can process them for evaluation. I won't be typing in binary.

"Sir, I think my code has an error!"

"what is the problem?"

"I dunno, it's just not starting up D:"

I want punch cards version, so that I can process them for evaluation. I won't be typing in binary.

Wimp...

You're right they look like this

hp_t5740e_thin_client-xl424at_abu.jpg

They use Atom N280, which is based off of the nehalem microarchitecture. CPUmark score of 286.

My uni also uses Thin Clients, no idea what hardware they use though

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?