Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE
3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Thinking about making something along the lines of the Halo ODST magnum.

Lol ignoring my general belief that it's a bad idea to make real guns look like fake guns, you'd probably have an easier time working off something like a PPQ M2, which better resembles the back end of the Halo magnums, including the ODST version. The back end of a Glock is too squared off and snubbed.

Anyone find it funny how people say ban assault rifles un the US when they been banned more or less since the 80s

2 minutes ago, Slumberjack said:

Lol ignoring my general belief that it's a bad idea to make real guns look like fake guns, you'd probably have an easier time working off something like a PPQ M2, which better resembles the back end of the Halo magnums, including the ODST version. The back end of a Glock is too squared off and snubbed.

I'm not trying to make it look like a magnum, just borrowing some concepts from it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Slumberjack said:

hides 10/22 I'm modding to look like a Kensa Charger

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

Just now, kaiju_wars said:

hides 10/22 I'm modding to look like a Kensa Charger

Haha oh don't you worry, i've been watching with a mix of appreciation and apprehension, but hey, not my gun, not my choice to make

Just now, Slumberjack said:

Haha oh don't you worry, i've been watching with a mix of appreciation and apprehension, but hey, not my gun, not my choice to make

It's actually coming along well, if you care at all.  I just have to find something I could use as the ink tank at the back, and mod the top picatinny rail section.  Biggest challenge is trying to make my own A2 front sight post, since I can't find one for a 10/22 (which I'm actually surprised by.  I found a fucking A2 sight for an SKS and AK)

2 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

It's actually coming along well, if you care at all.  I just have to find something I could use as the ink tank at the back, and mod the top picatinny rail section.  Biggest challenge is trying to make my own A2 front sight post, since I can't find one for a 10/22 (which I'm actually surprised by.  I found a fucking A2 sight for an SKS and AK)

it's actually been very cool to watch, just y'know, make sure everyone who encounters it knows it's a real .22 haha

3 minutes ago, Slumberjack said:

it's actually been very cool to watch, just y'know, make sure everyone who encounters it knows it's a real .22 haha

I'll make sure they know, lmao.  I have a bunch of coworkers following this project also, also the Splatoon community is getting a huge kick out of it.

47 minutes ago, Slumberjack said:

44 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

I'll make sure they know, lmao. 

You could always stencil "Live Fire" (or "Live Rounds") onto the barrel.  With it being white, black stencil would stand out pretty readily.

14 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

You could always stencil "Live Fire" (or "Live Rounds") onto the barrel.  With it being white, black stencil would stand out pretty readily.

I'll probably end up doing that

9 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

I'll probably end up doing that

Doing so wont make one bit of difference.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Picking up a HK USP for USPSA/IPSC Production-Class pretty soon. Pretty excited since I've always wanted one but haven't been able to find one in my area for a decent price until now.

38 minutes ago, ArtoriaPendragon said:

Picking up a HK USP for USPSA/IPSC Production-Class pretty soon. Pretty excited since I've always wanted one but haven't been able to find one in my area for a decent price until now.

Interesting choice for a comp gun, you're gonna get murdered on the price of mags lol. I assume it's one of the long slide Expert models? Otherwise you're making things tough on yourself, but still a great gun. 9mm or .45?

8 hours ago, ArtoriaPendragon said:

I absolutely adore the USP series, which model are you getting?

However, I have to warn you that if you're getting it specifically for USPSA/IPSC, you're going to be putting yourself at a pretty real disadvantage because its DA/SA. Obviously there are people who can crush with a DA/SA gun, but the task is easier with a single action or striker fired gun. Either way, you're going to have a metric truckload of fun.

I've been shooting USPSA for about 4 years now; started in prodcution with an XDm 5.25, and now shoot carry optics with a raced out Glock 19.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

13 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

you're going to be putting yourself at a pretty real disadvantage because its DA/SA

Absolutely lost on hoe DA/SA is a disadvantage. I can see the argument for DAO, not so much for DA/SA.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

17 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

you're going to be putting yourself at a pretty real disadvantage because its DA/SA.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Absolutely lost on hoe DA/SA is a disadvantage. I can see the argument for DAO, not so much for DA/SA.

I have to concur with Drak3.  My P2000 is DA/SA, and all I'd have to do is put the hammer down first and run it in SA mode.  I can't see how that would be a disadvantage.

1 minute ago, Jito463 said:

I have to concur with Drak3.  My P2000 is DA/SA, and all I'd have to do is put the hammer down first and run it in SA mode.  I can't see how that would be a disadvantage.

The only semi autos I have to go off of that are DA/SA are Walther's P38 and P5, and the DA trigger pull isn't all that heavy or long. Faster to pull the trigger than bring down the hammer.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

12 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

7 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

First, let me reiterate that there are people who do extremely well with DA/SA guns, but they are more the exceptions than the rules.

But the real answer is gamesmanship; a big part of scoring well is having a fast first alpha, and a DA pull makes that a little more difficult as it's a different trigger pull than the rest of the stage. The simple fact is that you will get more repetitions on the SA pull than the DA pull, which makes your SA pull naturally more consistent than the DA pull. It's the nature of the beast. 

With a DA/SA gun you have to start the stage (unless the stage specifically calls for something different) in DA with the safety on (if your gun has one), so you can shoot the first round DA, which most people do, or thumb the hammer and run SA, but that's usually slower than just shooting it. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

8 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

With a DA/SA gun you have to start the stage (unless the stage specifically calls for something different) in DA with the safety on (if your gun has one), so you can shoot the first round DA, which most people do, or thumb the hammer and run SA, but that's usually slower than just shooting it

That's something easily overcomed with practice.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

That's something easily overcomed with practice.

You're absolutely correct, it can. But the people who are really good in USPSA with DA/SA guns, will spend hundreds of hours just dry practicing the DA pull, my argument there is that if you're going to spend X amount of hours dry practicing, you're twice as good off if you only have to dry practice one trigger pull. That's why the majority of the top shooters shoot SA or striker guns. 

I've shot my 92FS in production on occasion, and it's a ton of fun, but also much more challenging. 

1 minute ago, Real_PhillBert said:

my argument there is that if you're going to spend X amount of hours dry practicing, you're twice as good off if you only have to dry practice one trigger pull. 

You make it sound like using DA/SA in competition is a Goliath level task.

3 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

That's why the majority of the top shooters shoot SA or striker guns

I have less than zero faith in that statement. I've found that the reasons that top competitors do what they do, in most fields, boils down to myth.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

You make it sound like using DA/SA in competition is a Goliath level task.

I've never said anything of the sort, perhaps you are getting that impression because you keep cutting my posts up. ;) I have said that DA/SA shooters in general are at a disadvantage to SA or striker shooters, and I will stand by that statement. 

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I have less than zero faith in that statement. I've found that the reasons that top competitors do what they do, in most fields, boils down to myth.

Would you please elaborate on this?

Would you please elaborate on this?

Things like window and lighting cuts on slides, hair triggers, shotgun speed loaders, these are fairly common in high level competition but their usefulness is severely lacking.

Same for things like C grip and the squared off stance.

Alot of this bullshit stems from things like competition.

And that's not to say I don't find some of this cool, I do. But not for performance enhancements that aren't there. I just think some of these things are cool and fun and I don't see need for further justification.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

7 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Things like window and lighting cuts on slides, hair triggers, shotgun speed loaders, these are fairly common in high level competition but their usefulness is severely lacking.

Same for things like C grip and the squared off stance.

Alot of this bullshit stems from things like competition.

And that's not to say I don't find some of this cool, I do. But not for performance enhancements that aren't there. I just think some of these things are cool and fun and I don't see need for further justification.

Some of this I completely agree with, others I think you're misunderstanding a bit. Most of what you mentioned hold little to no practical application in the real world, but are small edges within the competition world. 

Take the crazy shotgun speed loaders that you see in three gun, or the insane 4ft mag tubes, obviously these are not practical for just about anything outside of competition. They're just too big and unwieldy, however within the confines of the competition, they're a solution to a problem; you cant have a slow reload if your mag tube is so large that you don't have to reload.

Things like lightening cuts and windows on slides have a technical advantage, albeit a very small one. The more mass you remove from the slide, the lighter the recoil spring you can run, which in turn creates less movement of the pistol, at least to a point. Although it should be noted that this also makes the firearm much less tolerant of variances in your ammo loads, so a super finely tuned gun almost always runs a diet of specially loaded hand loads. Again, this is not a great idea for a gun that you want to defend your life with, but if the goal is to get an edge over your buddy so he has to buy the beers that night, it might help, maybe. With that said, the vast majority of people who get slides milled up do it for the cool factor. 

As far as the C Grip goes, I'm probably not qualified to really speak to; 95%+ of my shooting is with pistols. I don't break the rifles out very often at all. 

Take the crazy shotgun speed loaders that you see in three gun

Speed loaders genuinely don't benefit competitors. The ammount of practice with those equates to, at best, being almost as fast as someone that can quad load and has shell holders made for that.

3 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

or the insane 4ft mag tubes

I specifically didn't mention long mag tubes because those are one of the very few things that is genuinely helpful to competition.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.