Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE

The build continues, this time with some nifty parts!

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.a22e9e2e06f0834f3be72a7584812957.jpeg

I started off just planning to build an upper, but I saw the grey receiver set while planning out the rest of my build and had a set of realizations:

1. I like the color

2. If I buy the set, then I'll already have a lower for when I build the complete rifle

3. I won't have to worry about color matching the upper and lower

So one purchase and $20 at my local FFL later, here we are. Did a test fit of the upper + barrel, which fit perfectly. Upper and lower also fit together very nicely, albeit without pins. Should make for a very nice rifle when it's all done.

I also decided to go for a two tone grey/black, which should look very cool.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

7 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The build continues, this time with some nifty parts!

Hide contents

I started off just planning to build an upper, but I saw the grey receiver set while planning out the rest of my build and had a set of realizations:

1. I like the color

2. If I buy the set, then I'll already have a lower for when I build the complete rifle

3. I won't have to worry about color matching the upper and lower

So one purchase and $20 at my local FFL later, here we are. Did a test fit of the upper + barrel, which fit perfectly. Upper and lower also fit together very nicely, albeit without pins. Should make for a very nice rifle when it's all done.

I also decided to go for a two tone grey/black, which should look very cool.

That's a nice setup. Matched upper/lower set really is the way to go, especially if you have the option to include a handguard like that. 

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

9 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

That's a nice setup. Matched upper/lower set really is the way to go, especially if you have the option to include a handguard like that. 

I'm really excited to see how it comes out.

Everything except the stock is going to be black, so it should look pretty neat.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Seems like FB Radom Beryl imports are plentiful. Since 5.45x39mm is ridiculous right now, I've really considered getting one. Atlantic Firearms importing models with wood and proper polymer furniture, so no need to buy the $200 correct collapsing stocks.

Thoughts? I really love my 5.45x39mm AK, but feels bad to shoot, especially since the last 1k batch of Wolf I got has hard enough primers to cause issues. 18" barrel on the Beryl being a bit long, but should afford for better terminal velocity (and its obviously clone correct). 

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone have or know of a good comprehensive list of specifically bang-for-the-buck accessories for an AR? 

I’m not looking for the cheapest things, also not rich enough to just dress up a rifle with $5k in accessories LOL

but I’d like to aim for the stuff that works great for the money (and lasts!) 

there’s so much stuff out there! 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Anyone have or know of a good comprehensive list of specifically bang-for-the-buck accessories for an AR? 

I’m not looking for the cheapest things, also not rich enough to just dress up a rifle with $5k in accessories LOL

I'm not sure such a list exists. I hear B5 is a company to avoid for furniture(stocks, grips, foregrips) though.

My approach has been to pick a price range I'm willing to hit for an accessory and go from there.

23 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Primary Arms or Holosun for the optic, red dot or micro prism. I generally sight in at 50yrds and true at 200yrds. There's some other budget optics companies, those are just what I generally stick to now a days.

Streamlight or Olight for the light (people will screech about suggesting Olight, but in the near dozen of their weapon lights or EDC lights I've bought, I've not had any issues). Lights can be a really expensive rabbit hole, me recently replacing the light on my go-to AR with a Cloud Defensive OWL, being a light I bought a few years ago for like $350. Even budget lights can get expensive if not everything you want comes in the box, like m-lok adapters.

Sling is a matter of preference, but I stick to the Blue Force Gear 2 point slings personally, quick adjustable and probably comes with QD points.

For magazines, just don't buy no-name brands and you'll be fine. Magpul pmags or STANAG mags, it really doesn't matter unless you're straying far from the norm and buying see-through ones with fancy colors. Any standard lower will accept any STANAG pattern mag just fine (my KE Arms KP-15 lower really preferring Magpul pmag gen3's specifically, but its advertised as such).

The rest aren't worth it unless you feel like spending a lot over time testing various min-maxed parts that really don't make a difference compared to training. Even a low tier PSA rifle is hard to beat in value (something that at least has a free floated handguard), where a lot of the times, you're better off spending more on ammo than on the firearm itself.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

First AR build is "done". No good pictures right now, but all it needs is the grey stock and a threaded bolt catch pin.

Otherwise, it'll shoot.

Almost had something to post pictures of, but I foolishly let a good deal on some 7.65x53 surplus pass me by, totally forgot to set a reminder to check the auction before it ended.

Hopefully I can procure some more brass, I think Privi Partisan in Serbia is the last company that makes it and it’s only in smallish batches.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

On 12/26/2023 at 8:39 AM, Agall said:

Primary Arms or Holosun for the optic, red dot or micro prism. I generally sight in at 50yrds and true at 200yrds. There's some other budget optics companies, those are just what I generally stick to now a days.

Streamlight or Olight for the light (people will screech about suggesting Olight, but in the near dozen of their weapon lights or EDC lights I've bought, I've not had any issues). Lights can be a really expensive rabbit hole, me recently replacing the light on my go-to AR with a Cloud Defensive OWL, being a light I bought a few years ago for like $350. Even budget lights can get expensive if not everything you want comes in the box, like m-lok adapters.

Sling is a matter of preference, but I stick to the Blue Force Gear 2 point slings personally, quick adjustable and probably comes with QD points.

For magazines, just don't buy no-name brands and you'll be fine. Magpul pmags or STANAG mags, it really doesn't matter unless you're straying far from the norm and buying see-through ones with fancy colors. Any standard lower will accept any STANAG pattern mag just fine (my KE Arms KP-15 lower really preferring Magpul pmag gen3's specifically, but its advertised as such).

The rest aren't worth it unless you feel like spending a lot over time testing various min-maxed parts that really don't make a difference compared to training. Even a low tier PSA rifle is hard to beat in value (something that at least has a free floated handguard), where a lot of the times, you're better off spending more on ammo than on the firearm itself.

So like this, but just with a good sight and maybe a sling, and a ton of cheap ammo? 

image.jpg

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

10 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

So like this, but just with a good sight and maybe a sling, and a ton of cheap ammo? 

-snip-

Looks exactly like my first AR-15, mine was a $600 rifle from PSA. Solid place to start.

Mine is kitted out with a 1x red dot sight, a sling, and a light. I also swapped the Magpul MOE stock for the Magpul CTR stock, which has a friction lock to prevent the wobble that the MOE stock has. My new rifle will live as more of a general purpose rifle, so that's getting a 1x prism optic with a magnifier. The mission dictates the gear, never forget that.

I buy Magpul PMAGs for $8-9 a pop, and keep a pretty steady stockpile of PMC X-Tac 5.56 M193 to keep them fed. For ammo, I would probably say buy whatever's cheap, but use discretion. Worth mentioning that my PSA rifle doesn't love steel cased ammo, and I've found 1 out of every 100 steel case rounds will fail to extract. Never had an issue with brass .223 or 5.56, though.

On 1/1/2024 at 7:35 AM, Crunchy Dragon said:

Worth mentioning that my PSA rifle doesn't love steel cased ammo, and I've found 1 out of every 100 steel case rounds will fail to extract. Never had an issue with brass .223 or 5.56, though.

Yep, esp older PSAs(Talked to a few folks that got a newer models and they're saying it feeds steel a bit better, but still has issues here n there).
For ammo I'd rec ammoseek - just get whatever is best CPR(but don't forget to check with delivery prices, some gun stores kill the CPR with like 20$ delivery, so unless you ordering bulk it's not even worth...)

On 12/31/2023 at 10:31 AM, bcredeur97 said:

Yup, but you do already have sights on it, if any. I prefer an optic, some sort of 1x prism or red dot being the best. No reason to splurge on them in 2024 either. The 'micro' red dot (~20mm tube red dots) are the best option for 90% of people, the other 10% being cross eyed weirdos like me with bad astigmatism. 

The other thing to consider with optics/slings/flashlights, is you can always transplant them to a newer/upgraded AR. I would say almost anything you buy now will transfer to a new AR, with only the absolute fringe being incompatible with almost any handguard/setup.

Regarding ammo, there's not a big difference between cheap and decent 5.56x45mm. Personally, I only buy M855 since my AR is zeroed for it (its a 14.5"). For a 16", you could do either M193 or M855, the 55gr M193 probably being a better option and is usually cheaper. 

Depending on how you intend to theoretically use it, an attached light is optional for now. Once you're more comfortable with the platform and have time behind it, you can then integrate a light. An attached light isn't like the movies where you turn it on and sweep visible light all over the place, it involves momentary tactical discharge of that light, which requires some skill to do properly. Worst case though, a $10 clamp mount for a gas station light is better than nothing, probably.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

On 12/31/2023 at 9:35 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

I also swapped the Magpul MOE stock for the Magpul CTR stock, which has a friction lock to prevent the wobble that the MOE stock has.

Nothing a bit of tape can't fix 😄

One of my 7.62 AKs uses one of the JMAC Customs 4.5mm to M4 buffer tube adapter with a BCM stock, I ended up using some of the scrap of a Dbrand skin on the top of the tube to keep it from wobbling. Sticks better and slicker than any tape. 😄 

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

1 hour ago, Agall said:

Nothing a bit of tape can't fix 😄

One of my 7.62 AKs uses one of the JMAC Customs 4.5mm to M4 buffer tube adapter with a BCM stock, I ended up using some of the scrap of a Dbrand skin on the top of the tube to keep it from wobbling. Sticks better and slicker than any tape. 😄 

CTR also has a QD socket, which is the other reason I wanted one 😂

9 hours ago, Brookz said:

Yep, esp older PSAs(Talked to a few folks that got a newer models and they're saying it feeds steel a bit better, but still has issues here n there).
For ammo I'd rec ammoseek - just get whatever is best CPR(but don't forget to check with delivery prices, some gun stores kill the CPR with like 20$ delivery, so unless you ordering bulk it's not even worth...)

Mine has never had issues feeding, only extracting.

As far as ammo, I typically buy from True Shot, PSA, and Lucky Gunner.

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

CTR also has a QD socket, which is the other reason I wanted one 😂

Mine has never had issues feeding, only extracting.

As far as ammo, I typically buy from True Shot, PSA, and Lucky Gunner.

QD sockets are nice 😄 I recently added one to my hunting rifle's sling in the forward position to allow me to break free from it when slung across my back during hikes. They make sling stud to QD socket adapters which is nice. If I had to choose though, a forward QD is preferred over a rear QD.

I've had good luck with Southern Defense, being one of the sellers on Ammoseek. Sometimes I haven't received shipping notification from them, but the package showed up like 3 days after placing the order anyways, noting that they're a solid 1000mi from my location.

Anyone buying from Ammoseek just has to realize that most sellers will get the lowest $/round because they exclude fees like shipping/handling/taxes. Generally when using that site, buying in bulk of +500 rounds is best for that reason. Spending $100 on shipping isn't as painful if you're doing it for 2000 rounds versus 200.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

6 hours ago, Agall said:

QD sockets are nice 😄 I recently added one to my hunting rifle's sling in the forward position to allow me to break free from it when slung across my back during hikes. They make sling stud to QD socket adapters which is nice. If I had to choose though, a forward QD is preferred over a rear QD.

I've had good luck with Southern Defense, being one of the sellers on Ammoseek. Sometimes I haven't received shipping notification from them, but the package showed up like 3 days after placing the order anyways, noting that they're a solid 1000mi from my location.

Anyone buying from Ammoseek just has to realize that most sellers will get the lowest $/round because they exclude fees like shipping/handling/taxes. Generally when using that site, buying in bulk of +500 rounds is best for that reason. Spending $100 on shipping isn't as painful if you're doing it for 2000 rounds versus 200.

I only buy bulk(typically 1000 at a time for 5.56/.223 unless I'm buying some expensive stuff), so $100 for shipping is a bit steep for me.

I don't get worked up over CPR, I just buy what I buy when I buy it. Sure it would be nice to not have to pay as much, but when I only buy a case of 5.56 every 4-6 months, it's much easier on the defense budget even if I do pay $0.45/round.

Had a new/old rifle follow me home from Cabelas the other day.  Got a second Stevens model 70 Visible Loader.  The new one has the more rare octagon barrel and has the flip up peep sight.  Can't wait to get it to the range and see if it helps with lobbing CB shorts out to 100 yards.  🙂 

IMG_20240103_145819413_HDR.jpg

IMG_5534.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

*salivation unsustainable*

5.56, 5.45, or 300blk?

I'm not sure if 300blk has enough energy, but even supersonic 300blk out of this form factor would have some incredible performance. 5.45 and 5.56 doesn't perform well out of a barrel this short (7-8" or so), but at least 5.56 is obtainable. 5.56 flashbang.

I'd love to see one of these with a micro dot mount, which I assume they'll have options for. Potentially a modular slot, then use a magnifier on a side rail?

I love 5.45, but damn, finding more ammo that's reliable in 2024 is a nightmare. Unless PSA starts pumping out their own, I imagine 5.56 models will just simply be better.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

24 minutes ago, Agall said:

I'm not sure if 300blk has enough energy, but even supersonic 300blk out of this form factor would have some incredible performance. 5.45 and 5.56 doesn't perform well out of a barrel this short (7-8" or so), but at least 5.56 is obtainable. 5.56 flashbang.

I wonder how much of a difference it would make. I hear 300BLK achieves full powder burn in about 9" of barrel, so it should in theory be fine depending on how much of it is needed to cycle the bolt.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I wonder how much of a difference it would make. I hear 300BLK achieves full powder burn in about 9" of barrel, so it should in theory be fine depending on how much of it is needed to cycle the bolt.

I'm aware of some designs that don't work with 300blk, I'm not enough of an internet firearm's engineer to assume it will or won't work, but it probably would.

The best part of it is 300blk's performance in short barrels. I'm not sure if its full powder burn or if its just a pistol cartridge like pressure curve, but the 7-9" barrel range for 300blk seems to be the 14.5" equivalent of 5.56 of barrel length to velocity sweet spots. 5.56 still performs adequately within 100yrds out of something like the Polish Mini-Beryl. Karl over at InrangeTV has a Bulgarian or so 5.56 Krink he's done a lot of testing on. There's one video where he compares it to an M1 Carbine.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Soviet Arms 5.56 Krink Triangle Side Folding Pistol, Redwood | Palmetto State Armory

image.thumb.png.e9f29c44efef865f01fb14eaa0340882.png

Saw a comment on reddit that is highly relatable; "Stop, I can only get so hard."

I'd love to see someone make a 4.5mm to triangle brace adapter, I've ran this setup on my PSA AKV and its really annoying having two folding functions.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

That is quite pretty.

Redwood might be my favorite AK furniture.

Can also get conversion followers that let you use AK-74 magazines like bakelite and plum mags in 5.56 AKs, since the rest of the geometry is close enough to work.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

1 minute ago, Agall said:

Can also get conversion followers that let you use AK-74 magazines like bakelite and plum mags in 5.56 AKs, since the rest of the geometry is close enough to work.

There are very good odds I buy or build an AK at some point in the future just to have one for the collection. Might look into some of the PSA 100-series AKs for that.

I've heard AKs tend to like steel cased ammo moreso than brass, how true is that?