Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE
17 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

This aiming technique works very well so far. Not sure I've ever fired so quickly yet so accurately with a handgun.

In other news, not sure if this is due to the gun or the aiming technique, but I'm far more accurate with the Hellcat Pro than any other pistol I've shot. Will have to bring the Glock out next time I hit the range and compare. I was pleased to see that my dry fire time did indeed pay off, as far as trigger pull goes.

Missing 2-3 shots out of 15 each magazine despite shooting pretty quickly felt really good. Just for fun I did a drill that popped into my head on the spot - 1 shot, reload from slide lock, 3 shots. I missed one of the last 3, and fumbled the reload a little bit. Looking forward to doing some proper drills, thinking I should set up more targets next time.

That Hellcat is a joy to shoot. Guess it's time to start looking for belts and holsters again.

If anybody has any recommendations, most notably on the belt front, although holster companies to look for/avoid would be welcome also 🙂

"Winthrop" went out of business but if you can find one of their leather holsters... Wow is that a nice holster. 

Someone gave me mine as a gift, but I think they used to MSRP $50~70 USD for like an appendix. 

Aside from that most of what I've used was cheap airsoft crap for airsoft pistols. 

Depending on how deep your pockets are and how small your gun is, the ol pocket ain't too bad imo. 

I'll also DM you a third option... Not that it's genius, but I think the less that people think about it or talk about it, the better. 

16 minutes ago, fpo said:

"Winthrop" went out of business but if you can find one of their leather holsters... Wow is that a nice holster. 

Someone gave me mine as a gift, but I think they used to MSRP $50~70 USD for like an appendix.

I've heard Kydex or not carrying appendix are the 2 options for appendix holsters. I'll keep an eye out, though.

17 minutes ago, fpo said:

Depending on how deep your pockets are and how small your gun is, the ol pocket ain't too bad imo.

Sadly not even my large pockets will fit a Hellcat Pro comfortably. If I was carrying a snubnose double action revolver, that'd be more feasible.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

10 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I've heard Kydex or not carrying appendix are the 2 options for appendix holsters. I'll keep an eye out, though.

Kydex is a hard plastic. Up to you. I've heard leather is best unless you're using a pistol as a soldier/cop carrying openly. 

10 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Sadly not even my large pockets will fit a Hellcat Pro comfortably. If I was carrying a snubnose double action revolver, that'd be more feasible.

Yeah that's a big gun. 

Just ordered a P365xl for my carry rotation and I'm very hype. Second Handgun I've picked up, Well real useful one. I had a Rough rider and I wish I kept it.

Probably going to get another Galco holster Leather+kydex IWB. 

Also weekly reminder that the original stock M&P Shield 9mm sucks balls and should be avoided.

4 minutes ago, Nagaram said:

weekly reminder that the original stock M&P Shield 9mm sucks balls and should be avoided.

What's your conundrum with this pistol? 

I dislike it too but I'm curious why you don't like it. 

47 minutes ago, fpo said:

What's your conundrum with this pistol? 

I dislike it too but I'm curious why you don't like it. 

Trigger was so crunchy and unreliable. I was convinced I'd get used to it, but I never did. Also I was broke at the time so getting anything else seemed impossible. And the trigger had a chance of not engaging that was way higher than I liked. Other than that, I really like it. Huge fan of Sub-Compacts.

The Apex trigger was a pain to get in, but it is way better. Although it also has a chance to not engage but it seems much smaller and a skill issue. You need pretty good trigger finger positioning which I should just be good at, but it's an EDC for crunch time purposes. I don't like that there's a chance it won't engage because I'm not the most disciplined in a bad moment.

Edit: And I have big hands. So I need the extended mag or an alternate base plate with a pinky grip to use it comfortably. but that's a me issue.

20 minutes ago, Nagaram said:

Trigger was so crunchy and unreliable. I was convinced I'd get used to it, but I never did. Also I was broke at the time so getting anything else seemed impossible. And the trigger had a chance of not engaging that was way higher than I liked. Other than that, I really like it. Huge fan of Sub-Compacts.

The Apex trigger was a pain to get in, but it is way better. Although it also has a chance to not engage but it seems much smaller and a skill issue. You need pretty good trigger finger positioning which I should just be good at, but it's an EDC for crunch time purposes. I don't like that there's a chance it won't engage because I'm not the most disciplined in a bad moment.

Edit: And I have big hands. So I need the extended mag or an alternate base plate with a pinky grip to use it comfortably. but that's a me issue.

It's this inconsistent firing something with the design or does yours have another defective part that wasn't replaced that's causing the issue? 

1 hour ago, fpo said:

It's this inconsistent firing something with the design or does yours have another defective part that wasn't replaced that's causing the issue? 

With the old trigger it was designed like that. I used a rental at the range and it also had that weird chrunchiness and inconsistency. In hind sight, It might have just been incompetence. Actual first gun and the crunchy feeling made me hesitate firing. 

With the apex trigger, if you slide over the trigger and into the little safety sub trigger, it can stop the trigger from being pulled because it's keeping that trigger lock engaged.

These extra safety features seem silly to me and only increase these event's. So I'me becoming very anti-redundant safety in striker fired guns. I do not seeing myself using the Shield version with a palm safety.

9 hours ago, fpo said:

Kydex is a hard plastic. Up to you. I've heard leather is best unless you're using a pistol as a soldier/cop carrying openly.

I've heard for carrying IWB and particularly appendix, you don't want anything that will collapse on itself when the gun is removed, as it can cause you to flag yourself when reholstering.

9 hours ago, fpo said:

Yeah that's a big gun. 

It's not a particularly large gun on my frame or in my hand, but it's just big enough that it won't easily fit in or out of one of the large front pockets in my cargo pants.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Hi peeps, I’m new to the forum but not to the hobby. Check out my newest and now favorite gun. It’s an AP5 sbr with a rugged obsidian .45 on a tri lug mount. Has to be one of the most fun setups possible. 

IMG_8019.jpeg

4 hours ago, mcnabb100 said:

Hi peeps, I’m new to the forum but not to the hobby. Check out my newest and now favorite gun. It’s an AP5 sbr with a rugged obsidian .45 on a tri lug mount. Has to be one of the most fun setups possible.

Is there a sling mount on both sides of the stock, and is the gun ambidextrous?

Seems like an...interesting choice to have a sling mount on the same side as where the gun would rest against your chest, almost.

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Seems like an...interesting choice to have a sling mount on the same side as where the gun would rest against your chest, almost.

Mp5 full stock haha. I forget how with airsoft I handled a lot of these and know them inside and out but a lot of others never did. 

Nope, just the one side. The mp5 was designed before ambidextrous designs were common. You can get ambidextrous trigger housings that add a selector to the right side, and you can put more modern stocks and on and even mlock rails on them, but I wanted the classic look. 

1 hour ago, mcnabb100 said:

Nope, just the one side. The mp5 was designed before ambidextrous designs were common. You can get ambidextrous trigger housings that add a selector to the right side, and you can put more modern stocks and on and even mlock rails on them, but I wanted the classic look. 

Very cool.

Still an interesting choice of sling placement, haha

Trying to find a thin vest of some sort to help CC is becoming a chore!

I hate open carry, but summer is ruining my sick cc set up of wearing a cardigan over my office clothes. But I'm think I could use this instead. I think it'll look good with a button up short sleeve tucked with a 4oclock carry.

Screenshot_20230614-174000.png

22 minutes ago, Nagaram said:

Trying to find a thin vest of some sort to help CC is becoming a chore!

I hate open carry, but summer is ruining my sick cc set up of wearing a cardigan over my office clothes. But I'm think I could use this instead. I think it'll look good with a button up short sleeve tucked with a 4oclock carry.

I'm told patterned button-down is easy mode for concealment, which based on my slightly-more-than-basic knowledge of camouflage, makes a lot of sense.

15 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'm told patterned button-down is easy mode for concealment, which based on my slightly-more-than-basic knowledge of camouflage, makes a lot of sense.

This has been my experience. 

I'm 5'11" and ~175lbs, I appendix a Glock 19 W/ RMR and X300 + a spare mag every single day in my office with patterned/plaid polo/button downs. Unless someone gets huggy, it's pretty much invisible. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

A late two stamp Tuesday post for you all. 

CZ scorpion with the CZ folding stock, magpul rvg, yetiwurks pistol grip, trijicon mro, dbal d2, and obsidian .45

For summer carry I always go with a short sleeve button up + 43x appendix carry. 

IMG_2589.jpeg

I'm a bit behind on Two Stamp Tuesday, but better late than never.

12" 5.56 SBR with a Rugged Razor:

20210701-153544-1.jpg

The UPS man dropped off another RMR, FCD plate, and suppressor sights for my new G17 last night:

20230620-181100-1.jpg

20230620-191814-1.jpg

Which now makes three RMR equipped pistols in my collection:

20230620-192552-1.jpg

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

3 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I'm a bit behind on Two Stamp Tuesday, but better late than never.

12" 5.56 SBR with a Rugged Razor:

-snip-

Have you found a good way to prevent the QD sling from free rotating 360 degrees on the Magpul CTR stock? I've not found an ideal solution for mine yet.

5 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Have you found a good way to prevent the QD sling from free rotating 360 degrees on the Magpul CTR stock? I've not found an ideal solution for mine yet.

The sling QD I have sits low enough that it contacts the rear of the CTR before it can rotate. So although the stud allows it to rotate, the actual sling attachment does not. 

It's been so long now that I couldnt even tell you for sure who's stud that is, I think Magpul maybe?

What?!

That's ... How they work...

I guess put a zip tie and tighten it on one side

2 hours ago, fpo said:

What?!

That's ... How they work...

I guess put a zip tie and tighten it on one side

The M-LOK QD socket I bought from Arisaka(I think) doesn't allow the stud to rotate, and is much nicer for that reason.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, htimsenyawed said:

Beautiful 1883. I traded an old miter saw to a Remington 870 Express Magnum sometime last year. I've yet to do the modifications I want to though. The barrel is long enough you could touch the ducks while they're in the sky.

its actually 1901 production model 97