Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE
6 hours ago, Agall said:

That's sort of what I was hoping you had experience with, since I noticed the bell of your weaponlights are at the muzzle device because of suppressors.

I had to get the streamlight m-lok mount with a spacer and shaffer machining m-lok pressure switch to complete this setup, but its still cheaper than a surefire setup with a dual input tailcap from what I've seen. I can always reach over and constant on the light with the tailcap button in this setup.

Without the m-lok spacer, the octagonal design of this Faxon carbon fiber handguard is too wide, but the spacer works perfectly fine and you still can't see the flashlight body in my 1x optic whatsoever.

I'll be testing it today since it's in a configuration that I'll likely keep it (not shown in the photo), doing some live fire drills after work. So I'll let you know if there's any problems but I doubt it.

@Real_PhillBert 

Not bad at all. I did a 120 round dump quite quickly enough to heat the gun up quite nicely. Light still functional and the pressure pad wasn't too hot to handle. Mostly cleaned off easily, but not too worried about it being squeaky clean.

20230818_133402.jpg

Did some more testing with different ammo types for 5.7x28mm. Its hilarious that doing transition hits between a 35yrds and 100yrds each 12" poppers with a handgun is just as easy as it is with the rifle...

20230818_133445.jpg

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

2 hours ago, Agall said:

@Real_PhillBert 

Not bad at all. I did a 120 round dump quite quickly enough to heat the gun up quite nicely. Light still functional and the pressure pad wasn't too hot to handle. Mostly cleaned off easily, but not too worried about it being squeaky clean.

I would mostly care about the lens being clean in that scenario. Beyond that, yup just send it.

That is a very pretty rifle, my friend.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I would mostly care about the lens being clean in that scenario. Beyond that, yup just send it.

That is a very pretty rifle, my friend.

Lens somehow was spotless

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Haven't purchased any pew-pews recently but did get some new shelves for the reloading room.  Moving off very warped plastic shelves that I had all my empty brass on to a new steel shelf that can hold the weight and a second one to start putting loaded ammo on.  They are rated for 350lbs per shelf so not sure I would load all 6 shelves to the max but way better than the cheap plastic ones I was using.

IMG_20230816_195557250.jpg

IMG_20230818_004225915.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys I am looking for a gun safe for my Ar and I am wondering what your advice is. Please let me know as its 16"-long barrel and it measures approximately 32.75" from the muzzle to buttstock.

Thank you

On 8/18/2023 at 9:54 PM, Agall said:

Lens somehow was spotless

I just wanted to let you know I love you cat

7 hours ago, Luismiller said:

I just wanted to let you know I love you cat

I wish this was my cat, but my cat is far more deadly than this cat because she's entirely black, but similar looking.

7 hours ago, Luismiller said:

Hey guys I am looking for a gun safe for my Ar and I am wondering what your advice is. Please let me know as its 16"-long barrel and it measures approximately 32.75" from the muzzle to buttstock.

Thank you

It depends on how much space you have. In my opinion, you mind as well get the biggest safe you can fit in whatever space you'll end up putting it for several reasons.

You want the safe to be physically difficult to move, if you can't bolt it to the floor. That'll prevent a gagglefuck of degenerates from being able to simply take the safe. In my opinion, a 24 gun safe fits nicely in a closet size or in the corner of a room.

Otherwise, standard 12 gun safes are pretty compact and can fit a few long guns and handguns without issue.

I'd recommend considering anything else important you'd like to throw in it, like important documentation.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

9 hours ago, Agall said:

I wish this was my cat, but my cat is far more deadly than this cat because she's entirely black, but similar looking.

It depends on how much space you have. In my opinion, you mind as well get the biggest safe you can fit in whatever space you'll end up putting it for several reasons.

You want the safe to be physically difficult to move, if you can't bolt it to the floor. That'll prevent a gagglefuck of degenerates from being able to simply take the safe. In my opinion, a 24 gun safe fits nicely in a closet size or in the corner of a room.

Otherwise, standard 12 gun safes are pretty compact and can fit a few long guns and handguns without issue.

I'd recommend considering anything else important you'd like to throw in it, like important documentation.

Listen please please please post a picture or a video. 

9 hours ago, Agall said:

I need to see the cat

I don't know if the Remington has really good safes for a gun like the Remington 870 Express Magnum. I think if you would want to have maximum protection for your safe and valuables it would need to be something like liberty safe or the amsec safes. The reason I am saying this is cause im really wondering if I need an upgrade for my safe as of right now.🤔

1 hour ago, Luismiller said:

I don't know if the Remington has really good safes for a gun like the Remington 870 Express Magnum. I think if you would want to have maximum protection for your safe and valuables it would need to be something like liberty safe or the amsec safes. The reason I am saying this is cause im really wondering if I need an upgrade for my safe as of right now.🤔

I tend to hear pretty good things about Liberty Safe, but they can be pricey compared to some other safes.

Personally, I'm looking at something from the Centurion line from Liberty in the next year or so, probably a Centurion 12.

On a note unrelated to safes, Springfield now makes 17 round magazines for the Hellcat Pro and I'm a little tempted. Not tempted enough because magazines are almost more expensive than ammo, but it's nice to know the option is available.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I tend to hear pretty good things about Liberty Safe, but they can be pricey compared to some other safes.

Personally, I'm looking at something from the Centurion line from Liberty in the next year or so, probably a Centurion 12.

I have one of the older Liberty safes I purchased about 15 years ago, would slot in between their current Freedom and USA lines.  It's got a 45minute rating but the feature set is closer to the USA line.  So far I have had no issues with it.  Paint finish has held up well and the mechanical spinning dial for unlocking has been good.  I got mine for a really good deal from a store that was going out of business so I can't really judge the current models on features vs MSRP.

2 hours ago, vf1000ride said:

I have one of the older Liberty safes I purchased about 15 years ago, would slot in between their current Freedom and USA lines.  It's got a 45minute rating but the feature set is closer to the USA line.  So far I have had no issues with it.  Paint finish has held up well and the mechanical spinning dial for unlocking has been good.  I got mine for a really good deal from a store that was going out of business so I can't really judge the current models on features vs MSRP.

Good to know they at least make quality stuff(or did, 15 years ago).

I was looking at Centurion 12 because it's not super expensive, and not bigger than it needs to be. I don't collect firearms very quickly, so it would take me a decent bit of time before I fill it out completely at which point I can either buy a bigger safe and sell the old one, or relocate the old one somewhere else and relegate it to being just a regular safe more than a gun safe.

There's obviously a risk factor involved to an extent, "how much am I willing to pay to keep my things secured?" type of questions. Not sure I'd want to spring more than a grand for my first ever safe though, so a smaller Centurion seems to strike a good balance between size/capacity, quality, and price.

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Good to know they at least make quality stuff(or did, 15 years ago).

I was looking at Centurion 12 because it's not super expensive, and not bigger than it needs to be. I don't collect firearms very quickly, so it would take me a decent bit of time before I fill it out completely at which point I can either buy a bigger safe and sell the old one, or relocate the old one somewhere else and relegate it to being just a regular safe more than a gun safe.

There's obviously a risk factor involved to an extent, "how much am I willing to pay to keep my things secured?" type of questions. Not sure I'd want to spring more than a grand for my first ever safe though, so a smaller Centurion seems to strike a good balance between size/capacity, quality, and price.

Regardless of how many your looking to store in it buy bigger than you think you will need if you can afford it and have the physical floorspace for it. Everyone will tell you they never hold as many as the marketing says they do.  With the lower shelves installed they will hold about half as many guns as advertised, the Centurion 18 will hold 8-9 tops.  Mine is the 24 gun size, I have 18 long guns in it with all the lower shelves removed and it is pretty full.  I can get 1-2 more in but that's it, no chances of 6 more in there.  I also put every other gun in a gun sock, literally just a big tube sock from amazon or your favorite online retailer. Almost everything I have is old bolt action with wood stocks so it keeps them from getting beat up and scratched when the safe started to get crowded.

Edit to add, you mentioned the Centurion 12 and I missed that.  I wouldn't expect more than 8-9 guns in that safe either as it looks like it is roughly the same internal volume as the open half on the 24 gun model.

14 hours ago, vf1000ride said:

Regardless of how many your looking to store in it buy bigger than you think you will need if you can afford it and have the physical floorspace for it. Everyone will tell you they never hold as many as the marketing says they do.  With the lower shelves installed they will hold about half as many guns as advertised, the Centurion 18 will hold 8-9 tops.  Mine is the 24 gun size, I have 18 long guns in it with all the lower shelves removed and it is pretty full.  I can get 1-2 more in but that's it, no chances of 6 more in there.  I also put every other gun in a gun sock, literally just a big tube sock from amazon or your favorite online retailer. Almost everything I have is old bolt action with wood stocks so it keeps them from getting beat up and scratched when the safe started to get crowded.

Edit to add, you mentioned the Centurion 12 and I missed that.  I wouldn't expect more than 8-9 guns in that safe either as it looks like it is roughly the same internal volume as the open half on the 24 gun model.

Yeah, I've definitely heard that. I think by the time I have 8 long guns, I'll be able to afford a second and larger safe anyway so that's not an immediate concern for me. Floorspace and width is the main concern at the moment, hence me looking at the 12 and not the 18, moving the 18 around in my house(up/down stairs and through doorways) would be more of a challenge(if not impossible) compared to the 12.

I'm currently looking to add another long gun to my collection to take over dedicated home defense duties from my AR, at which point I'll have to find a good way to store said AR since it will no longer be the go-to gun, hence the safe.

On 9/2/2023 at 2:11 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

Yeah, I've definitely heard that. I think by the time I have 8 long guns, I'll be able to afford a second and larger safe anyway so that's not an immediate concern for me. Floorspace and width is the main concern at the moment, hence me looking at the 12 and not the 18, moving the 18 around in my house(up/down stairs and through doorways) would be more of a challenge(if not impossible) compared to the 12.

I'm currently looking to add another long gun to my collection to take over dedicated home defense duties from my AR, at which point I'll have to find a good way to store said AR since it will no longer be the go-to gun, hence the safe.

What keeps me from buying more firearms is the fact that I'd have to buy either another or larger safe to fit more long guns, but luckily I haven't found anything other than bubba'd up surplus at pawn shops. Handguns even are at the limit now.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

3 hours ago, Agall said:

What keeps me from buying more firearms is the fact that I'd have to buy either another or larger safe to fit more long guns, but luckily I haven't found anything other than bubba'd up surplus at pawn shops. Handguns even are at the limit now.

I'm looking to add a couple more -- thinking about a Springfield Hellion for home defense, a hunting rifle of some kind, and probably a shotgun -- but I'd want a safe before I start adding any other long guns.

Handguns I can probably add 1-2 more before wanting a safe, but I'd be pushing the limit of my poor closet that has to hold everything else in addition to my firearms and firearm accessories. A safe would just be more convenient and secure, especially for guns that I don't need to be ready to grab at a moment's notice.

9 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'm looking to add a couple more -- thinking about a Springfield Hellion for home defense, a hunting rifle of some kind, and probably a shotgun -- but I'd want a safe before I start adding any other long guns.

Handguns I can probably add 1-2 more before wanting a safe, but I'd be pushing the limit of my poor closet that has to hold everything else in addition to my firearms and firearm accessories. A safe would just be more convenient and secure, especially for guns that I don't need to be ready to grab at a moment's notice.

I'm a big fan of a general purpose AR in the 13.7"-14.7" barrel length with a P&W over a bullpup. My first bullpup was back in 2018 or so, and it was nice, but overall just not necessary give the drawbacks. I'd say the only bullpup I'd consider 'worth it' in 2023 is the Desert Tech lineup, and really just the MDRx micron version. Giving a user a 11" in a PDW size or a 11" suppressed in a standard 11" size.

Personally my next home defense purchase will likely end up a 5.7 carbine of some sort, really dependent on how this brace ruling goes since I'd rather not have to deal with the NFA. Otherwise either my EDC, 5.7 handgun, or go-to AR that I've shown here before are hard to beat. I'd just rather not blow my eardrums out in the process, something 5.7 can mitigate nicely while really being a min-max against 2 legged predators. The Ruger 5.7 charger would've been something I'd have purchased if it came out when the carbine did all that time ago. Basically a 5.7x28mm "MP7 we have at home".

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Just now, Agall said:

I'm a big fan of a general purpose AR in the 13.7"-14.7" barrel length with a P&W over a bullpup. My first bullpup was back in 2018 or so, and it was nice, but overall just not necessary give the drawbacks. I'd say the only bullpup I'd consider 'worth it' in 2023 is the Desert Tech lineup, and really just the MDRx micron version. Giving a user a 11" in a PDW size or a 11" suppressed in a standard 11" size.

Personally my next home defense purchase will likely end up a 5.7 carbine of some sort, really dependent on how this brace ruling goes since I'd rather not have to deal with the NFA. Otherwise either my EDC, 5.7 handgun, or go-to AR that I've shown here before are hard to beat. I'd just rather not blow my eardrums out in the process, something 5.7 can mitigate nicely while really being a min-max against 2 legged predators. The Ruger 5.7 charger would've been something I'd have purchased if it came out when the carbine did all that time ago. Basically a 5.7x28mm "MP7 we have at home".

Yeah, that makes sense. I don't want to deal with the NFA though, and a bullpup is a convenient way to get around it while still having a short weapon. The Hellion catches my attention mostly because it's a bullpup takes standard AR-15 magazines, which would make the transition more smooth from my current AR.

My main goal is to have a dedicated weapon for home defense, so I can set up my AR for something more specific instead of it trying to be a "do all" type rifle. Some things I want on a "fighting" rifle just wouldn't fit into my vision for a home defense rifle, such as magnification.

7 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Yeah, that makes sense. I don't want to deal with the NFA though, and a bullpup is a convenient way to get around it while still having a short weapon. The Hellion catches my attention mostly because it's a bullpup takes standard AR-15 magazines, which would make the transition more smooth from my current AR.

My main goal is to have a dedicated weapon for home defense, so I can set up my AR for something more specific instead of it trying to be a "do all" type rifle. Some things I want on a "fighting" rifle just wouldn't fit into my vision for a home defense rifle, such as magnification.

I'd argue 'short stocking' with a standard carbine is just as effective as a bullpup, especially since we're talking 10yrds and in. You potentially could 'short stock' a bullpup, but you might end up with brass bukkake and/or inducing a malfunction. Visible Lasers while short stocking in CQC being a viable option, especially since most AR handguards will retain zero nicely.

Most of the 5.56 bullpups take standard AR-15 'stanag' mags with some exceptions. FS2000 only takes standard stanag aluminum/steel since its magwell has grooves to dust seal by the stampings in it, pmags may work with modifications. The other being the AUG, but that's only non-NATO patterns. Both of these options being inferior in my opinion to more modern options like the hellion or MDR. 

The way I work around the magnification variable is with a detachable magnifier and bipod. If I'm expecting distance, I can bolt on a bipod and flip to side magnifier and turn my 14.5" AR into a 'recce rig'. Otherwise with the light, 1x optic, and ~6lb weight total, its practically a do-it-all rifle.

Unless you're really into LPVOs, there's ways around it. I personally prioritize 1x with magnification capability over magnification with a useful 1x, either with an LPVO or canted red dot/1x.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

49 minutes ago, Agall said:

I'd argue 'short stocking' with a standard carbine is just as effective as a bullpup, especially since we're talking 10yrds and in. You potentially could 'short stock' a bullpup, but you might end up with brass bukkake and/or inducing a malfunction. Visible Lasers while short stocking in CQC being a viable option, especially since most AR handguards will retain zero nicely.

Short stocking is effective, and I can do it, but I don't prefer it 😂

I'd really rather have the gun in my shoulder, which is why I'm eyeing bullpups.

53 minutes ago, Agall said:

The way I work around the magnification variable is with a detachable magnifier and bipod. If I'm expecting distance, I can bolt on a bipod and flip to side magnifier and turn my 14.5" AR into a 'recce rig'. Otherwise with the light, 1x optic, and ~6lb weight total, its practically a do-it-all rifle.

Unless you're really into LPVOs, there's ways around it. I personally prioritize 1x with magnification capability over magnification with a useful 1x, either with an LPVO or canted red dot/1x.

It's partially a thing about laziness with me, I think. I'd rather have a dedicated weapon for home defense that only does home defense but will do other things if I really need it to in a pinch, but otherwise I'd prefer to have a second "duty" rifle that's set up a little differently.

Can't say I'm into LPVOs, having not used any, but I'd likely prefer having either a 1x with a magnifier or a straight magnified optic with canted irons.

Maybe I'm crazy, I don't know, but I think a dedicated home defense weapon makes more sense logistically. /shrug

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Short stocking is effective, and I can do it, but I don't prefer it 😂

I'd really rather have the gun in my shoulder, which is why I'm eyeing bullpups.

It's partially a thing about laziness with me, I think. I'd rather have a dedicated weapon for home defense that only does home defense but will do other things if I really need it to in a pinch, but otherwise I'd prefer to have a second "duty" rifle that's set up a little differently.

Can't say I'm into LPVOs, having not used any, but I'd likely prefer having either a 1x with a magnifier or a straight magnified optic with canted irons.

Maybe I'm crazy, I don't know, but I think a dedicated home defense weapon makes more sense logistically. /shrug

I imagine most well-trained persons would agree with this; but you'd be better off using your PTR91/G3 for home defense if it's a firearm you've trained a lot on versus any new-fankled min-maxed. If you're willing to put the time in on a bullpup, then sure.

I'm not sure if the Hellion is the best option though, I personally concluded that the Desert Tech is still better, although more expensive. I'm fully willing to drop +$5k on my next firearm if I find something worth buying, which hasn't occurred yet.

Me personally, I already find it hard enough to get enough training in with the various main platforms I already have (not saying I need or don't need it at this point, but just a feeling). 

Unfortunately one that I desperately wish could still be my home defense firearm is my AK-105 with a P&W Strela 4 piece flash hider. I can pop off 5 rounds easily outdoors without it even ringing my ears, so I imagine indoors its quite pleasant, but the 1K batch of Wolf I have regularly gets light strikes, something the last 1K batches didn't have. Until we see AAC producing 5.45x39mm, its unlikely that it'll ever return to that use 😞 

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

2 hours ago, Agall said:

I imagine most well-trained persons would agree with this; but you'd be better off using your PTR91/G3 for home defense if it's a firearm you've trained a lot on versus any new-fankled min-maxed. If you're willing to put the time in on a bullpup, then sure.

I was willing to put in the time on my AR, I've been extremely willing to put in the time on the Hellcat, I feel like putting in the time to train a bullpup wouldn't be too different, haha.

I'm not even necessarily thinking of min-maxing, I would likely just grab the new gun, move the optic and light from my AR onto it(maybe the foregrip), get it zeroed, and develop proficiency. After that, it could just sit in my closet until I either decide to bring it to the range or need to use it for its intended purpose, with probably a range trip every now and then just to maintain skill.

2 hours ago, Agall said:

I'm not sure if the Hellion is the best option though, I personally concluded that the Desert Tech is still better, although more expensive. I'm fully willing to drop +$5k on my next firearm if I find something worth buying, which hasn't occurred yet.

I guess it's kind of an argument of "how much money is your life worth?" in a way. I feel like I could go either way on Desert Tech MDRX vs Hellion, just depends on what all I'm looking for exactly. I like that I can mount a foregrip on the Hellion if I decide I want one, which might make my life a little easier as I plan to run a light, with regards to actuating a switch while controlling the weapon. Both rifles seem to have enough merits that it could very easily come down to price for me.

3 hours ago, Agall said:

Me personally, I already find it hard enough to get enough training in with the various main platforms I already have (not saying I need or don't need it at this point, but just a feeling).

That's very fair too, I still have few enough firearms that I can grab all of them, spend a couple hours at the range, and get some good training time in on everything. Recently it's just been my AR and Hellcat, with added emphasis on the Hellcat as I plan to carry it. I do a bunch of dry fire and manipulations with my guns too, which helps develop proficiency and familiarity.

But yeah, overall my plan is to have a dedicated home defense rifle that only does home defense, is only set up for home defense, and only needs to come to the range maybe every few months or so after I properly learn the gun. Doesn't necessarily need to be a bullpup, but having a shorter rifle to maneuver in my home is sounding very good, especially as some of the hallways and doorways are a bit narrow, and some corners are tight.

As I've said before, my dream home defense gun is a suppressed SBR in .300 BLK, which would be around the same length, but on the AR platform rather than a bullpup.

10 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I was willing to put in the time on my AR, I've been extremely willing to put in the time on the Hellcat, I feel like putting in the time to train a bullpup wouldn't be too different, haha.

I'm not even necessarily thinking of min-maxing, I would likely just grab the new gun, move the optic and light from my AR onto it(maybe the foregrip), get it zeroed, and develop proficiency. After that, it could just sit in my closet until I either decide to bring it to the range or need to use it for its intended purpose, with probably a range trip every now and then just to maintain skill.

I guess it's kind of an argument of "how much money is your life worth?" in a way. I feel like I could go either way on Desert Tech MDRX vs Hellion, just depends on what all I'm looking for exactly. I like that I can mount a foregrip on the Hellion if I decide I want one, which might make my life a little easier as I plan to run a light, with regards to actuating a switch while controlling the weapon. Both rifles seem to have enough merits that it could very easily come down to price for me.

That's very fair too, I still have few enough firearms that I can grab all of them, spend a couple hours at the range, and get some good training time in on everything. Recently it's just been my AR and Hellcat, with added emphasis on the Hellcat as I plan to carry it. I do a bunch of dry fire and manipulations with my guns too, which helps develop proficiency and familiarity.

But yeah, overall my plan is to have a dedicated home defense rifle that only does home defense, is only set up for home defense, and only needs to come to the range maybe every few months or so after I properly learn the gun. Doesn't necessarily need to be a bullpup, but having a shorter rifle to maneuver in my home is sounding very good, especially as some of the hallways and doorways are a bit narrow, and some corners are tight.

As I've said before, my dream home defense gun is a suppressed SBR in .300 BLK, which would be around the same length, but on the AR platform rather than a bullpup.

TBH I've gotten so proficient with a handgun and even a large format handgun, that I wouldn't mind a somewhat kludgey looking 300blko 8" bullpup pistol without a stock, to be used as a handgun for home defense 😄 Its partly why I've liked 5.7x28mm so much.

Either way, you're dropping multiple rounds into them, and with a handgun, shot placement matters whether its 9mm or 5.7x28mm, so why not min-max effectiveness on 2 legged predators in that scenario, especially when its ballistic performance in a full sized handgun isn't much different?

I wouldn't ever carry 5.7x28mm concealed, since any handgun that's reasonably concealable (I also have a Hellcat I finally moved to after a year of practice off my previous multi-year carry, just so I could get red dot options and weaponlight capabilities). 5.7x28mm in this case would be practically worthless out of the 2" barrel necessary for it to fit in that form factor compared to 9mm.

Regarding a home defense rifle, the Hellion is interesting, but it's not nearly as 'compact' or convenient than something like the MDR. The big reason being its length of pull, which for an average height or lower person, isn't conducive in comparison. Its minimum supposedly being 16" LOP, compared to the MDRx's probable ~14" with spacers.

Just something to consider, then if the NFA gets repealed, you can simply get the 11" barrel with a whisper pickle for it 🙂 

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500