Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE
15 hours ago, Mr-G-Man said:

I don't much about guns but I played Phantom Forces on Roblox for 4 years, so that means I'm pretty much a gun expert. Being in the god forsaken land of Australia, I've never seen or shot a live gun. You Americans don't know what it's like. My favourite gun of all time is the Mosin Nagant. An excellent rifle portrayed in history. My experience with guns is BB guns, airsoft, and gelsoft. I'm a god sniper by the way, and a demon on the airsoft battelfield. We're also not allowed trick knives such as karambits or butterfly knives in Australia. It's kinda stupid, and I have to resort to using dulll trainers. Anyone else here who was a Phantom Forces enthusiast?

Move to Suisse

I was sorting through and doing an inventory of all of my ammo this morning, and I decided to go through the box of really shitty ‘86 OFV Indian .308. image.thumb.jpg.63f169856635fe88355cec02709d2bc1.jpg
I found a particular specimen that at first glance looked okay, however…image.thumb.jpg.a6ebc915555a30dc8d8f124ae50861a2.jpg

That’s right, ladies and gentlemen, you are looking at a factory loaded cartridge with a backwards primer. My dad, who bought the stuff ages ago said that he also found a few that had the bullets seated backwards. Moral of the story: don’t buy Indian ammo, and if you do, make sure you go over it thoroughly before you consider shooting it.

(WARNING: I EDIT MY POSTS ALL THE TIME. GRAMMAR IS HARD.)

"As I, a humble internet browser who frequents the forum of the well known internet tech YouTuber 'Linus Tech Tips', named after host Linus Sebastian, have trouble understanding the intent of the authors' post, I find solace in the fact, that I am indeed not alone in my confusion. While I stumble through the comments above, I am reminded of a quote which helps me to cut through ambiguous and unnecessary verbiage. The simple eloquence of the phrase often uttered on internet forums leaves any reading it in no doubt as to the true intent of the wording. I believe that I, and indeed all of us can take a lesson from the message left by it:"

(Formerly known as @EjectedCasings)

"Thanks bro, my inner grammarian just had a stroke."

-Yours truly, EjectedCasings

"It's stupid, but it works"

"AAAAAAHHH WHY AM I SPEEENING!"

Enthusiast web surfer, 'epic' gamer.

#muricaparrotgang

On 6/15/2022 at 7:23 AM, Mr-G-Man said:

I don't much about guns but I played Phantom Forces on Roblox for 4 years, so that means I'm pretty much a gun expert. Being in the god forsaken land of Australia, I've never seen or shot a live gun. You Americans don't know what it's like. My favourite gun of all time is the Mosin Nagant. An excellent rifle portrayed in history. My experience with guns is BB guns, airsoft, and gelsoft. I'm a god sniper by the way, and a demon on the airsoft battelfield. We're also not allowed trick knives such as karambits or butterfly knives in Australia. It's kinda stupid, and I have to resort to using dulll trainers. Anyone else here who was a Phantom Forces enthusiast?

I never did get into airsoft, but it still does seem like fun. Wonder how good you'd do shooting real guns, as the velocity and accuracy is very different than airsoft.

3 hours ago, FakeATF said:

I was sorting through and doing an inventory of all of my ammo this morning, and I decided to go through the box of really shitty ‘86 OFV Indian .308.
I found a particular specimen that at first glance looked okay, however…

-megasnip-

That’s right, ladies and gentlemen, you are looking at a factory loaded cartridge with a backwards primer. My dad, who bought the stuff ages ago said that he also found a few that had the bullets seated backwards. Moral of the story: don’t buy Indian ammo, and if you do, make sure you go over it thoroughly before you consider shooting it.

That's crazy. I had heard of some similar things from Norma recently regarding bad ammo from the factory(missing bullets, bullets loaded backwards, and assorted other problems), but I've never seen primer being loaded backwards.

Good reminder to double check the ammo you buy steal from friends because ammo prices are too insane

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

• 2 weeks later...

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

On 6/15/2022 at 4:23 AM, Mr-G-Man said:

No, but I have owned a few mosins, including what was probably my favorite a Chinese Type 53 (M44 clone).

It honestly sucked to shoot, but I liked the retractable bayonet.

Incidentally, you had to extend the bayonet or it shot like crap.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

On 6/16/2022 at 3:53 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

I never did get into airsoft, but it still does seem like fun. Wonder how good you'd do shooting real guns, as the velocity and accuracy is very different than airsoft.

As someone who owns both real firearms and their co2 compatriots, very little. Maybe at best it’s knowing how to properly handle a firearm? Moreso a specific firearm and also moreso “how to hold” than to handle.

Ill use my actual Glock 17 gen 3 and umarex Glock 17 gen 3 as a comparison. Physically they’re nearly identical in size, the differences in size are internal and are meant so you cant just use the frame for an actual Glock (though if you have a dremel tool…).

The weight is completely different, as well as where the weight is, since the rest of the gun is so light the barrel and slide make up most of the weight, which makes it more forward heavy.

Trigger pull is surprisingly similar.

Recoil and slide distance are almost nonexistent, air guns generally don’t use full distance slides even if they have a blowback feature, it’s just not worth doing when all it will do is eat through co2 cartridges to dump that much into the blowback, as is the cartridge only lasts maybe 40 bbs at most and 40 is pushing it.

For me I see the benefit of airsoft and co2 as sorta like, you can shoot dumb things in dumb ways and still be mostly safe about it.

Go out in your backyard, magdump the woods holding it sideways, shoot your friends, maybe not with the co2 but if they’re down I’m down.

Otherwise no, entirely different feel, the shooting experience doesn’t translate to an actual firearm. 

6 hours ago, 8tg said:

Otherwise no, entirely different feel, the shooting experience doesn’t translate to an actual firearm. 

That's basically what made me wonder. You can learn a lot about how to manipulate and handle firearms with airsoft, but it's still fundamentally different. Although I'd imagine, at least with a pistol, the basic fundamentals of how to shoot a pistol accurately still apply.

I have a basic spring-powered 1911 and just about everything from that transfers to a real firearm except for the behavior and weight of the gun.

• 3 weeks later...

New 10mm

F8D6DCC9-5619-462D-BE42-2570EAD8C2A7.jpeg.c72a06799e84435f09588cec252bf272.jpegB4EA6AD4-2CD7-4172-9760-03C664081E5C.jpeg.8f9f1281d9e3dd6f855e0da646dda805.jpeg

Only put 50 rounds through it so far, but first impressions are good. Basically everything about it blows the Glock out of the water, particularly the trigger and the grip.

(WARNING: I EDIT MY POSTS ALL THE TIME. GRAMMAR IS HARD.)

"As I, a humble internet browser who frequents the forum of the well known internet tech YouTuber 'Linus Tech Tips', named after host Linus Sebastian, have trouble understanding the intent of the authors' post, I find solace in the fact, that I am indeed not alone in my confusion. While I stumble through the comments above, I am reminded of a quote which helps me to cut through ambiguous and unnecessary verbiage. The simple eloquence of the phrase often uttered on internet forums leaves any reading it in no doubt as to the true intent of the wording. I believe that I, and indeed all of us can take a lesson from the message left by it:"

(Formerly known as @EjectedCasings)

"Thanks bro, my inner grammarian just had a stroke."

-Yours truly, EjectedCasings

"It's stupid, but it works"

"AAAAAAHHH WHY AM I SPEEENING!"

Enthusiast web surfer, 'epic' gamer.

#muricaparrotgang

On 7/1/2022 at 11:29 AM, Crunchy Dragon said:

That's basically what made me wonder. You can learn a lot about how to manipulate and handle firearms with airsoft, but it's still fundamentally different. Although I'd imagine, at least with a pistol, the basic fundamentals of how to shoot a pistol accurately still apply.

I have a basic spring-powered 1911 and just about everything from that transfers to a real firearm except for the behavior and weight of the gun.

Airsoft pistols can kick as hard as a 22LR. 

A 9mm full size pistol is much more difficult to aim.

That or

1. Airsoft guns are less accurate so you can't be sure

2. I've always been a bad pistol shot

3. I swear I had a third one...

Airsoft is best for "force on force" and manipulations than recoil management. 

T Rex arms (YouTube channel) flew a Japanese kid to the US to see if airsoft translated to real steel. 

Considering they didn't shoot long distance, yeah he did really well. 

They did notice getting used to recoil was an initial challenge, but idk for sure. 

Taking very professional pistol instruction myself, yeah, I can rack a slide and load a mag and pull the trigger. 

Squeezing the trigger and getting a firm grip for follow up shots is something I'm really bad at as a "new" pistol shooter. 

Inb4 at least 500 rounds through pistols in training. 

2 minutes ago, fpo said:

Airsoft pistols can kick as hard as a 22LR. 

A 9mm full size pistol is much more difficult to aim.

That or

1. Airsoft guns are less accurate so you can't be sure

2. I've always been a bad pistol shot

3. I swear I had a third one...

Airsoft is best for "force on force" and manipulations than recoil management. 

T Rex arms (YouTube channel) flew a Japanese kid to the US to see if airsoft translated to real steel. 

Considering they didn't shoot long distance, yeah he did really well. 

They did notice getting used to recoil was an initial challenge, but idk for sure. 

Taking very professional pistol instruction myself, yeah, I can rack a slide and load a mag and pull the trigger. 

Squeezing the trigger and getting a firm grip for follow up shots is something I'm really bad at as a "new" pistol shooter. 

Inb4 at least 500 rounds through pistols in training. 

I'm terrible at shooting pistols. I can put shots on target, but I struggle with recoil management a lot.

Unfortunately I don't own one yet, so I can't practice very often.

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'm terrible at shooting pistols. I can put shots on target, but I struggle with recoil management a lot.

Unfortunately I don't own one yet, so I can't practice very often.

One strategy that worked on the VP9 I've been borrowing recently is this weird super forward grip below

(3d printed one piece non functional resident evil m9. Fun toy that doesn't do any operation lol)

Spoiler

PXL_20220725_012226259.thumb.jpg.0b43e5b0fe27c0ebcfcc3e60b3799894.jpg

PXL_20220725_012228311.thumb.jpg.6b8b4e261967dff374ea92e30d7b91bd.jpg

PXL_20220725_012245208_MP.thumb.jpg.3354f62ed729584d24a82e975ce52f2a.jpg

21 minutes ago, fpo said:

One strategy that worked on the VP9 I've been borrowing recently is this weird super forward grip below

(3d printed one piece non functional resident evil m9. Fun toy that doesn't do any operation lol)

Reveal hidden contents

PXL_20220725_012226259.thumb.jpg.0b43e5b0fe27c0ebcfcc3e60b3799894.jpg

PXL_20220725_012228311.thumb.jpg.6b8b4e261967dff374ea92e30d7b91bd.jpg

PXL_20220725_012245208_MP.thumb.jpg.3354f62ed729584d24a82e975ce52f2a.jpg

I've seen something similar to that.

I'm slowly starting to adopt a grip similar to the Lena Miculek grip, which is sort of like an Improved Claw.

12 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I've seen something similar to that.

I'm slowly starting to adopt a grip similar to the Lena Miculek grip, which is sort of like an Improved Claw.

Ahh okay, yeah, it's very similar. 

My problem was I have an airsoft Walther PPS M2 which fits my hands very well to "fill the hole" with my left hand. 

When going to the hk VP9, I wasn't getting enough of my left hand on the grip of the handle. 

My instructor also taught me to shoot rifles well, and we did practice a form of "c grip" where you put your thumb over the top of the forestock. He related getting the support hand as close to the muzzle as possible to get a better grip. 

57 minutes ago, fpo said:

My instructor also taught me to shoot rifles well, and we did practice a form of "c grip" where you put your thumb over the top of the forestock. He related getting the support hand as close to the muzzle as possible to get a better grip.

I like the C grip. Gives you a lot of control over the muzzle.

Unfortunately, due to how my rifle is set up, I can't do it as effectively. Due to whatever reason, the top of the handguard is the only part that isn't M-LOK, so I had to mount the switch for my flashlight on the left side of the gun.

Not a major problem since it's the home defense gun, I'm not exactly going into combat with it. I'd still like to have the switch mounted on top so I can C grip and manipulate the light with my thumb, maybe I'll upgrade that in the future.

8 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I like the C grip. Gives you a lot of control over the muzzle.

Unfortunately, due to how my rifle is set up, I can't do it as effectively. Due to whatever reason, the top of the handguard is the only part that isn't M-LOK, so I had to mount the switch for my flashlight on the left side of the gun.

Mine too!! M lok left right bottom and picitiny top 

8 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Not a major problem since it's the home defense gun, I'm not exactly going into combat with it. I'd still like to have the switch mounted on top so I can C grip and manipulate the light with my thumb, maybe I'll upgrade that in the future.

I learned to manipulate a flashlight using a peq 15, so I practiced with thumb on the top. 

I ended up getting a second hand streamline tlr-1 HL and mounted that at the very front of the rail system by my foregrip/hand stop. 

It's barely visible when using the zoomer. Whatever it's called. Flip over

If your have smaller hands it can be difficult. I don't have large hands, but maybe my thumb is longer than others or I hold it differently because not everyone can do what I can on my rifle. 

On 7/25/2022 at 7:30 AM, fpo said:

It's barely visible when using the zoomer. Whatever it's called. Flip over

If your have smaller hands it can be difficult. I don't have large hands, but maybe my thumb is longer than others or I hold it differently because not everyone can do what I can on my rifle. 

Magnifier.

My hands aren't small, but they aren't large either, so I have to do what I can. If the top of my handguard was picatinny all the way across, it'd be a smaller issue for me. But since mine is a lightweight, there's just nothing on the top except for the very front where my front sight is mounted.

Another pistol class. 

I shot the VP9 again and I kinda like it now that I've had some grip practice. 

I also got the chance to shoot the sig Sauer SP 2022 or something like this name. Great pistol. 

Doing a lot of CCW practice and I think learning to be aware of your surroundings relaxes your pressure on "is my grip right? Is my trigger right?" 

It's possible my practice under training has made my shooting better, but I feel the situational awareness helps. 

13 hours ago, fpo said:

Another pistol class. 

I shot the VP9 again and I kinda like it now that I've had some grip practice. 

I also got the chance to shoot the sig Sauer SP 2022 or something like this name. Great pistol. 

Doing a lot of CCW practice and I think learning to be aware of your surroundings relaxes your pressure on "is my grip right? Is my trigger right?" 

It's possible my practice under training has made my shooting better, but I feel the situational awareness helps. 

This is one of the reasons why I favor having to pass regular proficiency checks for gun owners.  Gun owners who never practice or are familiar with the use of their firearms....scare me far more than those who practice regularly--or the unarmed.

Note that I didn't say accuracy.  I don't care how accurate you are (well I do some, but not like that).  I care that you know how to safely operate the weapon.  That you won't randomly flag people.  That you can clear and safe your weapon.  Etc.  And yes, putting a few holes in some paper (regardless of grouping) should be part of this, just so you can demonstrate you won't bump fire that .44 magnum that is far too big for a 90 lbs person.

12 minutes ago, IPD said:

This is one of the reasons why I favor having to pass regular proficiency checks for gun owners.  Gun owners who never practice or are familiar with the use of their firearms....scare me far more than those who practice regularly--or the unarmed.

Note that I didn't say accuracy.  I don't care how accurate you are (well I do some, but not like that).  I care that you know how to safely operate the weapon.  That you won't randomly flag people.  That you can clear and safe your weapon.  Etc.  And yes, putting a few holes in some paper (regardless of grouping) should be part of this, just so you can demonstrate you won't bump fire that .44 magnum that is far too big for a 90 lbs person.

Yeah, it's tough.

Everyone that I know that shows the smallest interest in guns, I offer to teach all the safety to them so they can be safer.
Gun people I am with, I watch to see how safe they are, and do what I can to politely suggest safer methods & look for ways they are safer than I.

Maybe refereeing paintball for such a long time had some influence... haha

On 7/31/2022 at 9:39 AM, IPD said:

I get it, and I'm all for people learning better how to control their firearms (the only gun control I do support), but I will never support government mandates to do so.  For my reasoning, just look at drivers licenses.  A lot of people make the complaint that you have to be licensed to drive, so you should have to be licensed to own a firearm.  Putting aside the Constitutional argument against that, it doesn't even make any practical sense.

Despite all of the regulations and restrictions we have on driving, there are still around 30,000 vehicle deaths every year (and that's on top of the accidents that do not result in injury or death), and countless lousy drivers on the road.  That's about the same as all the firearm deaths each year, and those numbers include people who commit suicide with a gun.

Not trying to get political, just showing why the idea of the government requiring people to have training will never work like you think it will.

9 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Snip

The only "government regulation" (staying out of politics) I think everyone would support would be to:

Require all students (high school or middle school) learn to unload 

AR-15 pattern rifles

Glock 17 or other similar semi auto pistols

The 4 rules of gun safety. 

Then anyone that finds a gun can make it safe even if someone else violates the 4 rules. 

Additionally if they encounter something they cannot unload, they can handle it until they encounter someone that can make it safe. 

Such as AK, revolvers, pump & semi auto shotguns which are a lot more complex and arguably much less common than the big 2 I specified. 

1 hour ago, fpo said:

The only "government regulation" (staying out of politics) I think everyone would support would be to:

Require all students (high school or middle school) learn to unload 

A better solution would be just to reintroduce shooting classes in school, to teach students proper gun handling and safety.  That's a program I could get behind.

2 hours ago, Jito463 said:

A better solution would be just to reintroduce shooting classes in school, to teach students proper gun handling and safety.  That's a program I could get behind.

I could see that but that's a huge step and guns are pretty intimidating to a lot of people. 

I'm all for it, but realistically, so many people are terrified of them. 

To avoid political debate I'm going to say that's too big of a jump and ask people to rate my setup:

PXL_20220806_192623203.thumb.jpg.3e6c3f785b5d926df14bf0153fbc1d6e.jpg

Ar in 5.56.

hand stop

m lok

Tlr 1 HL

Vortex red dot

Vortex magnifier

Adjustable length Pistol brace with MOLLE mag pouch (everything old is new again. I was inspired by WW2 M1 carbines)

23 minutes ago, fpo said:

I could see that but that's a huge step and guns are pretty intimidating to a lot of people. 

I'm all for it, but realistically, so many people are terrified of them. 

Which is exactly why I proposed it.  Going back to my car analogy, it's not that dissimilar.  Many people are scared when they start driving, but as they practice more they become comfortable with the process.  After a bit of time, it becomes second nature for them to hop in the driver's seat and take off.