Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE
1 hour ago, Real_PhillBert said:

This is a tough question to answer simply because there are SO many options.

How large of a gun are you willing to carry? Some people dont want to carry anything more than a micro gun, others are willing to carry a lot more. I daily a Glock 19 at 175lbs and 5'11"  with a large or XL glove size, but I recognize that most people dont want to carry a gun that large. Your best bet is going to be to go to a gun shop, preferably one that has a range and rental guns, and try a bunch of things out. 

-snip-

I knew a guy who daily drove a freakin' 92FS.

1 hour ago, OrangeSunshine said:

I'm looking for a concealed carry gun. I prefer 9mm, but I'm open to other calibers. My main limiting factor is size. I am not a large person, and I detest pistols that are difficult to operate with my small, beefy hands. Any suggestions folks?

Basically just go to your local gun dealer and try some out. After that just put some rounds through it and see if you like it or not. It's all really down to if you like how it feels. Going smaller typically means a more difficult time shooting, and vise versa. I'm not really a Glock person because I just hate the way the sit in my rather large hands. IMO single stacks feel way better, but, you know, it's a single stack.

Bottom line is get what you think is comfortable, reliable, and decently accurate. All else should come second.

(WARNING: I EDIT MY POSTS ALL THE TIME. GRAMMAR IS HARD.)

"As I, a humble internet browser who frequents the forum of the well known internet tech YouTuber 'Linus Tech Tips', named after host Linus Sebastian, have trouble understanding the intent of the authors' post, I find solace in the fact, that I am indeed not alone in my confusion. While I stumble through the comments above, I am reminded of a quote which helps me to cut through ambiguous and unnecessary verbiage. The simple eloquence of the phrase often uttered on internet forums leaves any reading it in no doubt as to the true intent of the wording. I believe that I, and indeed all of us can take a lesson from the message left by it:"

(Formerly known as @EjectedCasings)

"Thanks bro, my inner grammarian just had a stroke."

-Yours truly, EjectedCasings

"It's stupid, but it works"

"AAAAAAHHH WHY AM I SPEEENING!"

Enthusiast web surfer, 'epic' gamer.

#muricaparrotgang

On 3/31/2021 at 4:56 PM, Real_PhillBert said:

This is a tough question to answer simply because there are SO many options.

How large of a gun are you willing to carry? Some people dont want to carry anything more than a micro gun, others are willing to carry a lot more. I daily a Glock 19 at 175lbs and 5'11"  with a large or XL glove size, but I recognize that most people dont want to carry a gun that large. Your best bet is going to be to go to a gun shop, preferably one that has a range and rental guns, and try a bunch of things out. 

But if you're looking for a good place to start, consider the HK VP9SK, HK P30SK, Glock 48, Glock 45, Glock 26, Glock 19, Sig P365, Sig P938, Smith and Wesson M&P9c, CZ P10C and FN 509c. This is by no means an exhaustive list. The good news is that there are so many good options right now that it's really hard to get a bad one. I generally tell people to avoid Kel-Tec, High Point, and SCCY. 

I actually really liked your suggestion of a HK VP9SK.  I think it is between that and the VP9 for me. Thanks bro!

16 hours ago, OrangeSunshine said:

I actually really liked your suggestion of a HK VP9SK.  I think it is between that and the VP9 for me. Thanks bro!

The VP9 series are excellent guns, you would certainly not be disappointed with them. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Got a message from my FFL yesterday afternoon that my stamp came back for the Rugged Razor! Sadly I wasn't able to get over there yesterday, but I'll pick it up this afternoon. I'm very excited!

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Picked up my new Rugged Razor this afternoon! Sadly the rifle I'm building for it wont be ready until the rail comes back in stock.

20210409_164646.jpg

20210409_170539.jpg

Does my hat match my new flamethrower?

me.jpg

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Does adding RGB to a gun increases its muzzle velocity? Asking for a friend.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

2 hours ago, Fatih19 said:

Does adding RGB to a gun increases its muzzle velocity? Asking for a friend.

Only if it's tactical RGB.

3 minutes ago, Doug_Dangger said:

Anybody bought ammo lately?

Are they still ridiculously priced?

Still can be hard to find, and prices are still very high. Not as bad as it was a couple months ago, but not a ton better either. 

6 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Still can be hard to find, and prices are still very high. Not as bad as it was a couple months ago, but not a ton better either. 

Got it.

I'm kicking myself in the butt for not buying more 2 years ago.  I remember Walmart used to sell a box of 50 9s brass for $9 and a 100 box of .223s for $40.

After covid and the riots prices just shot thru the roof, no pun intended 😄

I live in Cali which makes things a lot worse.  The state now knows how many we buy since there's a bg  check with every ammo purchase.  Bummer.

On 4/14/2021 at 3:16 PM, Doug_Dangger said:

Got it.

I'm kicking myself in the butt for not buying more 2 years ago.  I remember Walmart used to sell a box of 50 9s brass for $9 and a 100 box of .223s for $40.

After covid and the riots prices just shot thru the roof, no pun intended 😄

I live in Cali which makes things a lot worse.  The state now knows how many we buy since there's a bg  check with every ammo purchase.  Bummer.

Wait, cali is doing that with ammo now?  Oh bugger that.  Time for you to join the mass emigration.  

Also: my range is rationing ammo, but they're also not inflating the price.  So I can generally purchase one box of ever caliber I have, leaving me with 200 rounds of a single caliber every time I have a range day.  

Granted, their "inflated" price is pretty expensive -- their bulk ammo used to cost more than online+shipping -- but now it's way cheaper.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

6 minutes ago, Rybo said:

Wait, cali is doing that with ammo now?  Oh bugger that.  Time for you to join the mass emigration.  

Also: my range is rationing ammo, but they're also not inflating the price.  So I can generally purchase one box of ever caliber I have, leaving me with 200 rounds of a single caliber every time I have a range day.  

Granted, their "inflated" price is pretty expensive -- their bulk ammo used to cost more than online+shipping -- but now it's way cheaper.  

They started in 2018 I think.  FKing axles controlling our state.

I would love to but just about everyone of my family is here.

I have a great job that pays the bills and so does my wife.  We have killer benefits and retirement (20 years to go).

We have a house that's worth a good amount of money so it's quite hard to leave.

I've had my eyes on Idaho, Arizona, Tennessee and South Carolina.  Texas is good too but I fear it'll fall to the clutches of *******, I don't want to dip into politics  😄

7 hours ago, Doug_Dangger said:

They started in 2018 I think.  FKing axles controlling our state.

I would love to but just about everyone of my family is here.

I have a great job that pays the bills and so does my wife.  We have killer benefits and retirement (20 years to go).

We have a house that's worth a good amount of money so it's quite hard to leave.

I've had my eyes on Idaho, Arizona, Tennessee and South Carolina.  Texas is good too but I fear it'll fall to the clutches of *******, I don't want to dip into politics  😄

Man. I read that, and think: Those are all reasons I would abandon the state ASAP, except the jobs part.

My family is horrible.

I love my job.

A house in Cali is worth three in most other states.

Then again, this is the major reason that, pre-September, we had absolute ASS housing prices here. Everyone from Cali was moving here, buying up all the land and housing, since someone could sell a 2br1bth house in Cali, and buy a 4br3bth house with an acre and a 4 car garage/RV garage and have money left over.

Since September, though, there's no housing available, and I think people have started moving away from here (2,500 houses burned down in a massive arson fire). I know that I'll be leaving Oregon ASAP, it's just the job thing I gotta get sorted.

My only advice is to move now, before everything on the West Coast burns to the ground, from LA to Washington. Arizona might be safer, but I don't think Idaho is... I'd say South Carolina, though they got their own problems there.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

11 hours ago, Sarra said:

My only advice is to move now, before everything on the West Coast burns to the ground

This.  Get while the getting's good.  Way better than the housing market plummeting, your job moving out of state, etc, and THEN trying to get out.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

Finally got another mount for the razor in, so I plopped it on my 16" rifle.

20210416_141625.thumb.jpg.0bdf4ef6f41715d1a5d8673b7b4093a7.jpg

20210416_141608.thumb.jpg.b7652886f2b8262147a1b9f12bb033d6.jpg

20210416_141438.thumb.jpg.60c45c326c41016bc974b8de80b4b3d9.jpg

Finally got around to doing a receiver swap on the 16" rifle. Replaced the standard forged upper and lower, with ADM UIC receivers. I figured it needed to be re-zeroed/zero confirmed with the can anyway, so now's a good time. Also, while I was at it I pinned the gas block, which was a first for me. Trying to make these two rifles as bomb-proof as possible. 

20210418-144621-1.jpg

On a related note, drilling through titanium sucks a lot haha.

Hi friends.  

I bought a Ruger Max 9.  Early indications are that it'll be my CC gun for a long time comin'.   (sight is a Sig Romeo Zero.  Why?  Because that's what the gun store had)

I also discovered that a rather large holster manufacturer lives in my town -- Bullseye Holsters -- and they'll make one for you right then and there if you show up at their factory.  So that's the fastest I've ever gotten a custom kydex holster for a gun!

232951050_rugermax9.jpg.7168b9a8451870c1bf7a526dc21085f1.jpg

#Muricaparrotgang

Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

IMG_20210422_201123.thumb.jpg.5bc6202f90dd0858cbc30210161bddcb.jpg

Spoiler

Cheap because it was marked as a Colt instead of a Remington

"As I, a humble internet browser who frequents the forum of the well known internet tech YouTuber 'Linus Tech Tips', named after host Linus Sebastian, have trouble understanding the intent of the authors' post, I find solace in the fact, that I am indeed not alone in my confusion. While I stumble through the comments above, I am reminded of a quote which helps me to cut through ambiguous and unnecessary verbiage. The simple eloquence of the phrase often uttered on internet forums leaves any reading it in no doubt as to the true intent of the wording. I believe that I, and indeed all of us can take a lesson from the message left by it:"

#muricaparrotgang

1 minute ago, FakeATF said:

Reveal hidden contents

Cheap because it was marked as a Colt instead of a Remington

I have an old beater .44 1858 New Army clone, Italian-made of course. They're pretty fun as a range gadget, and I guess you could use one defensively if you were desperate. 

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

1 minute ago, atxcyclist said:

I have an old beater .44 1858 New Army clone, Italian-made of course. They're pretty fun as a range gadget, and I guess you could use one defensively if you were desperate. 

Little more than a club if you expend your six rounds. Unless you brought some spare cylinders, that is.

#muricaparrotgang

1 minute ago, FakeATF said:

Little more than a club if you expend your six rounds. Unless you brought some spare cylinders, that is.

At least you get a smoke screen if you need to make a retreat.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

I have one of the Uberti remakes of the Walker/Colt.  It's a pretty nice piece, and makes a better club when out of ammo than the smaller 36/44 cal blackpowder pistols.  🤣

IMG_5456.JPG