Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE
2 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Some of this I completely agree with, others I think you're misunderstanding a bit. Most of what you mentioned hold little to no practical application in the real world, but are small edges within the competition world. 

Take the crazy shotgun speed loaders that you see in three gun, or the insane 4ft mag tubes, obviously these are not practical for just about anything outside of competition. They're just too big and unwieldy, however within the confines of the competition, they're a solution to a problem; you cant have a slow reload if your mag tube is so large that you don't have to reload.

Things like lightening cuts and windows on slides have a technical advantage, albeit a very small one. The more mass you remove from the slide, the lighter the recoil spring you can run, which in turn creates less movement of the pistol, at least to a point. Although it should be noted that this also makes the firearm much less tolerant of variances in your ammo loads, so a super finely tuned gun almost always runs a diet of specially loaded hand loads. Again, this is not a great idea for a gun that you want to defend your life with, but if the goal is to get an edge over your buddy so he has to buy the beers that night, it might help, maybe. With that said, the vast majority of people who get slides milled up do it for the cool factor. 

As far as the C Grip goes, I'm probably not qualified to really speak to; 95%+ of my shooting is with pistols. I don't break the rifles out very often at all. 

Gotta agree on pretty much all of this, and what you’ve been saying through the conversation. In comp, the slightest advantage still matters when you’re on the clock. Same reason why male competitive swimmers shave their legs. It’s not gonna improve your technique, but it could shave a fraction of a second off your time.

Also comp shooting and practical shooting are wildly different and should never be mixed. Unless you’re running production division, you should never trust your comp gun as anything but a comp gun. It’s not built for defense or carry, and it’s likely less reliable and bad practice for anything but competition. Be like trying to drive a monster truck to the grocery store. Comp shooting and practical shooting are apples to oranges.

Bottom line mastering one trigger pull is easier than mastering two.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

"All the better to see you with, my dear."

image.thumb.png.c23adb2a4462297a0a8f2b7d35eaa074.png

Picked up two new sights.  One for my M&P 9 Pro Series and the other for my AR.

RM06 - 3.25 MOA

VC16-C-1600049

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

8 hours ago, Velcade said:

"All the better to see you with, my dear."

image.thumb.png.c23adb2a4462297a0a8f2b7d35eaa074.png

Picked up two new sights.  One for my M&P 9 Pro Series and the other for my AR.

RM06 - 3.25 MOA

VC16-C-1600049

Mmmm can't go wrong with Trijicon, them and Leupold are my bois when it comes to aiming real good lol

On 6/11/2019 at 10:59 PM, Slumberjack said:

Interesting choice for a comp gun, you're gonna get murdered on the price of mags lol. I assume it's one of the long slide Expert models? Otherwise you're making things tough on yourself, but still a great gun. 9mm or .45?

The USPSA/IPSC is just for fun and secondary to the fact that I’ve always wanted to get a USP for quite a few reasons. It’s gonna be standard model, 9x19 but with some upgrades.

On 6/12/2019 at 6:58 AM, Real_PhillBert said:

I absolutely adore the USP series, which model are you getting?

However, I have to warn you that if you're getting it specifically for USPSA/IPSC, you're going to be putting yourself at a pretty real disadvantage because its DA/SA. Obviously there are people who can crush with a DA/SA gun, but the task is easier with a single action or striker fired gun. Either way, you're going to have a metric truckload of fun.

I've been shooting USPSA for about 4 years now; started in prodcution with an XDm 5.25, and now shoot carry optics with a raced out Glock 19.

Standard USP 9 but replacing the sights and trigger with their match equivalents. Got a lot of time on my hand with school being out so I’ll be able to get practice in. I know for sure I’m getting smoked by all the Shadow IIs that dominate my league but I ain’t gonna give in that easily :)

• 3 weeks later...

F7E2CFC4-69C9-4363-8FF8-9BE7EC0ECA02.thumb.jpeg.c38b7800f770f355a2b2afe1cd362c2c.jpeg

Picked up a Remington 870 Wingmaster today.  Police trade in (actually BCI).  It's actually still in really great condition.  Blueing hasn't worn off, the but stock is a little beat up, but still in great condition.  2 3/4 inch chamber.  19.5" barrel (I measured it cause why not).  I love it.  It feels so nice in the hands, and the action is so smooth. 

I got it for what I think is a good price too!

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

5 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

F7E2CFC4-69C9-4363-8FF8-9BE7EC0ECA02.thumb.jpeg.c38b7800f770f355a2b2afe1cd362c2c.jpeg

Picked up a Remington 870 Wingmaster today.  Police trade in (actually BCI).  It's actually still in really great condition.  Blueing hasn't worn off, the but stock is a little beat up, but still in great condition.  2 3/4 inch chamber.  19.5" barrel (I measured it cause why not).  I love it.  It feels so nice in the hands, and the action is so smooth. 

I got it for what I think is a good price too!

Nice.

I've had a Remington 870 Magnum on layaway for a while now. Similar in look except the tube is the same length as the barrel. No idea where it came from.

But the pump is nice and sturdy (no jiggle), and the action is tight and smooth.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

2 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Nice.

I've had a Remington 870 Magnum on layaway for a while now. Similar in look except the tube is the same length as the barrel. No idea where it came from.

But the pump is nice and sturdy (no jiggle), and the action is tight and smooth.

there's a little wiggle with the pump.  (but being honest, most used shotguns I've handled have had jiggle in the pump).  But the action is smooth and tight, and just so nice.

Looking into prices more, Wingmasters brand new seem to go between $650 and $750.  On GunBroker, I see them on average around $500 and $700. 
A brand new 18.5" Remington 870 Express (with wood stock, cause that's what I like) is like $380 here.  I got this Wingmaster for $425.  I think I came out good.

Just now, kaiju_wars said:

there's a little wiggle with the pump.  (but being honest, most used shotguns I've handled have had jiggle in the pump).  But the action is smooth and tight, and just so nice.

Looking into prices more, Wingmasters brand new seem to go between $650 and $750.  On GunBroker, I see them on average around $500 and $700. 
A brand new 18.5" Remington 870 Express (with wood stock, cause that's what I like) is like $380 here.  I got this Wingmaster for $425.  I think I came out good.

The one I have on layaway is like $250.

I don't know if it shoots. The gun store swears that all their used firearms are checked for basic function. I know that it looks well used, and it's marked as a "Remingot 870 Magnum" but has the same chamber as my 870 express. The only difference is barrel length, and my 870 express has some aftermarket grips and an aftermarket buttstock with a pistol grip (still shoulder stock. Just not a regular rifle or shotgun stock).

I really need to finish paying it off. My 870 express has a long bird barrel and the longest mag tube I can find. It'd be nice for zombies, but HIGHLY impractical for home defense.

3 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

The one I have on layaway is like $250.

I don't know if it shoots. The gun store swears that all their used firearms are checked for basic function. I know that it looks well used, and it's marked as a "Remingot 870 Magnum" but has the same chamber as my 870 express. The only difference is barrel length, and my 870 express has some aftermarket grips and an aftermarket buttstock with a pistol grip (still shoulder stock. Just not a regular rifle or shotgun stock).

I really need to finish paying it off. My 870 express has a long bird barrel and the longest mag tube I can find. It'd be nice for zombies, but HIGHLY impractical for home defense.

Nice, not bad (assuming it fires).

But yeah, I've been wanting a shorter barrel 12 gauge for home defense.  I have a TriStar 28", 3 1/2" chamber hunting shotgun.  It would still work for home defense, but its impractical. This is much better, IMO.

Also, I just love the look of wood stock shotguns.

7 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

(but being honest, most used shotguns I've handled have had jiggle in the pump).

That's actually desirable. One big reason the Mossberg 590/A1 is more reliable in military roles is because of how much play the slide has while still being functional.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Nice, not bad (assuming it fires).

But yeah, I've been wanting a shorter barrel 12 gauge for home defense.  I have a TriStar 28", 3 1/2" chamber hunting shotgun.  It would still work for home defense, but its impractical. This is much better, IMO.

Also, I just love the look of wood stock shotguns.

To be honest, I prefer Hogue grips on any and ALL of my firearms.

Sadly, Hogue only makes foregrips and pistol grips for shotguns. The foregrip is worth it, but the pistol grip not so much.

On pistols and rifles, they are absolutely worth it.

3 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

On pistols and rifles, they are absolutely worth it

I disagree. IMO they feel disgusting.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Not sure if will be this weekend or a couple weeks from now, but I decided to order myself a pistol carbine.  The one I'm looking at is 9mm and takes standard Glock 17/19 mags.  Best part is that it's only $419+$20 shipping, and the reviews I've seen of it seem mostly positive (there's bound to be some nitpicks on a pistol carbine this cheap).  Primary complaint is that the barrel shroud gets too hot during extended shooting - and it's not replaceable - but fortunately it has a picatinny rail on the bottom to mount a fore grip.  The only other complaint I saw is that some mags wouldn't lock the slide open on last round, but that's a minor issue since it only happened on one brand he tried.  Anyone heard anything else I should be aware of before I plunk down the dough?

https://www.extarusa.com/ep9.htm

Spoiler

905549089_ExtarEP91762@2x.jpg.d541430c0587403cc49c6ab77c79f1c9.jpg

6 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

The one I'm looking at is 9mm and takes standard Glock 17/19 mags. 

Not gonna lie, the handguard and top rail is absolutely hideous.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

8 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Not gonna lie, the handguard and top rail is absolutely hideous.

Can't expect too much for the price. :)

It's primary use would be home defense (so looks aren't important), and to occasionally play around with at the range (where I'm more concerned about how it shoots than how it looks).  I was more wondering if anyone had heard of any problems with them that I hadn't come across.

6 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

so looks aren't important

To an extent.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

So, one of the local gun shops has a new category for buying guns on their website.

Spoiler

116687287_ScreenShot2019-07-01at8_42_57PM.thumb.png.7fcc154b148ca624749b6203ae906bd5.png

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Jito463 said:

I wouldn't be caught dead holding something like this:

I don't know. I think that pink is more intimidating than black...

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

35 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

True, I wouldn't be caught dead holding something like this:

pink_223.jpg

I would, fucking give it to me

11 hours ago, Jito463 said:

Not sure if will be this weekend or a couple weeks from now, but I decided to order myself a pistol carbine.  The one I'm looking at is 9mm and takes standard Glock 17/19 mags.  Best part is that it's only $419+$20 shipping, and the reviews I've seen of it seem mostly positive (there's bound to be some nitpicks on a pistol carbine this cheap).  Primary complaint is that the barrel shroud gets too hot during extended shooting - and it's not replaceable - but fortunately it has a picatinny rail on the bottom to mount a fore grip.  The only other complaint I saw is that some mags wouldn't lock the slide open on last round, but that's a minor issue since it only happened on one brand he tried.  Anyone heard anything else I should be aware of before I plunk down the dough?

https://www.extarusa.com/ep9.htm

Reveal hidden contents

905549089_ExtarEP91762@2x.jpg.d541430c0587403cc49c6ab77c79f1c9.jpg

Adding a vertical fore grip to a pistol would be manufacturing an AOW, and subject to an NFA stamp.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/open-letter/all-ffls-may2006-open-letter-adding-vertical-fore-grip-handgun/download

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

7 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Be careful with that, if the overall length is under 26", adding a vertical fore grip would be manufacturing an AOW, and subject to an NFA stamp.

Good catch.  I had been waffling between a vertical grip and an angled one, looks like I'll need to go the angled route.

We really need to repeal the NFA.

4 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Good catch.  I had been waffling between a vertical grip and an angled one, looks like I'll need to go the angled route.

We really need to repeal the NFA.

Yeah, an angled grip gets around the issue, for reasons I cannot quite comprehend.

I agree completely that we need to just toss the NFA in the trash.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro