any way to prevent ddos attacks?

bobfreeman

i've had experience when gaming of people getting my ip and flooding me with packets that make my internet go down for a few minutes causing me to lose the game. is there anything i can do to prevent this? something that i can buy? will building a better router like linus is doing help?

Get a small business DDOS protector and a pro-grade firewall.

NO idea how much they cost, but they exist, and might do the job.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

You could use a VPN..

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

Don't piss people off.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

VPN

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

http://www.checkpoint.com/products/ddos-protector/

VPN is another option however i believe it is still possible to DDos. A simple DDOS protection should do the job, some online kid most likely won't have the knowledge to bypass such systems.

Okay delete that first link, those things cost like 170k€

This may be an option http://antiddos.eu/en/news/item/20

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

How did they get your ip in the first place? Anyway? Use common sense people!

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

a ddos protector is an option... but in the end it really depends on the Ddoser. If they want you down, you will go down. Ddos protection in general is really really expensive and hard to counter. Even major companies have problems with them.

i've had experience when gaming of people getting my ip and flooding me with packets that make my internet go down for a few minutes causing me to lose the game. is there anything i can do to prevent this? something that i can buy? will building a better router like linus is doing help?

Depends how your router is setup too, a DDoS protector also helps, there are free and paid options but if it only happened once call your ISP and ask for a new IP.

Regards Elias N Martinez. | Graphic and motion design are my jobs. 3D modeling is my hobby. I do what I enjoy.  Skype: eliasnmartinez1 (please state that you are coming from LTT)

Nothing can stop it once you are in game and once someone from the game decides to kick/ban you because the port is open. Just play somewhere else, that type of behavior will never stop, they are basically bullies once you are not doing anything against the rules you should not be kicked in any game. Happens to me to in MW3, i just go to another lobby.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

How did they get your ip in the first place? Anyway? Use common sense people!

It's easy for anyone to find out IP adresses in games. 

How havent I gotten DDOS'ed before? I host several servers on my PC

OP says while gaming, i have gotten ddosed in cs:go one time and back in mw3 a few times. 

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

OP says while gaming, i have gotten ddosed in cs:go one time and back in mw3 a few times. 

I play rocket leauge all the time and you can easilly get my IP by messaging me asking to join my MC server.......................

That's literally impossible to get your ip through csgo servers, unless you literally hacked valve you know. If that was the case anyway watching a pro match in game could get all their ip's. It's all handled server side, never reatches the client side. That would be like saying hurr durr, anyone can hack valve servers it's so easy and get all the ips!

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

That's literally impossible to get your ip through csgo servers, unless you literally hacked valve you know. If that was the case anyway watching a pro match in game could get all their ip's. It's all handled server side, never reatches the client side. That would be like saying hurr durr, anyone can hack valve servers it's so easy and get all the ips!

send someone a message via steam chat is often everything needed. Also pro matches are often paused or abandoned because of one player getting ddosed. 

-snip-

Don't be Linus.

I'm playing my Xbone on 3 LG Curved monitors-No one ever

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

Resident bad pun maker.....please excuse them

It's an effective away of removing noobs, haters, really good players, and douch nozzles from a server.

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

send someone a message via steam chat is often everything needed. Also pro matches are often paused or abandoned because of one player getting ddosed. 

lol??????? I think your brain is broken sir.

lol??????? I think your brain is broken sir.

Why. It is a fact that pro players get ddosed, because of that i have "lost" many bets half a year ago. Twitch streamers get swatted because the hackers get the IP throught donations they make, often 1$ donations. 

Why. It is a fact that pro players get ddosed, because of that i have "lost" many bets half a year ago. Twitch streamers get swatted because the hackers get the IP throught donations they make, often 1$ donations. 

That's not how this works...that's not how any of this works...... You have to be trolling, if not there's no hope for you.

That's not how this works...that's not how any of this works...... You have to be trolling, if not there's no hope for you.

Then please tell me you are a professional hacker. Tell me how it works if ya know it better...

http://www.hltv.org/news/13213-understanding-ddos-attacks

Clearly states that

#1 - Pro matches often get DDosed

#2 - You can get IP adresses throught steam or skype

-snio-

Synthesis is correct.  It gives them client based access.  There is actually a very interesting article that proves this but it has to do with Facebook.  Long story short, the guy was hired by facebook for a good job but prior to his hiring he learned that you could retrieve an IP or location of a person by messaging them.  He then developed a website with the sole intention of storing this data, procured by Facebook users.

Synthesis is correct.  It gives them client based access.  There is actually a very interesting article that proves this but it has to do with Facebook.  Long story short, the guy was hired by facebook for a good job but prior to his hiring he learned that you could retrieve an IP or location of a person by messaging them.  He then developed a website with the sole intention of storing this data, procured by Facebook users.

what does this have to do with facebook? We are talking about CSGO, and if you truely believe what he's saying you obviously don't know very much.

Then please tell me you are a professional hacker. Tell me how it works if ya know it better...

http://www.hltv.org/news/13213-understanding-ddos-attacks

Clearly states that

#1 - Pro matches often get DDosed

#2 - You can get IP adresses throught steam or skype

Pro matches almost never get DDOSed?