Dumbest Tech Questions/Quotes You've Ever Heard

NInety

One day when I went to biology class and this kid brought his laptop.

Him- "dude check this out"

Me- "Oh nice you brought your gaming laptop?"

Him- "Yeah dude it has 32gb of VRAM"

Me- "Oh so your laptop is running two titans in SLI?"

Him- "No I had them install a 32gb kit instead of a 8gb"

Me- "So what graphics card does it have?"

Him- "Oh some beast cards, I spent 1k on it!"

I just ignored him at this point. Later I learned it had a 780m which is a good card but seriously lol

System i7-8700k  MSI GTX1080 32GB GSkill  TridentZ ASUS 370-E 1TB WD Black, 256 GB Samsung M.2 SSD,  256 GB Samsung SSD Evo Windows 10

I've had someone threathening me, saying i knew nothing about computers and that i was stubborn and stupid because i told him his GT730 wasnt high end and couldnt run Crysis 3 maxed out at 1080p 60fps...

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.8ghz  Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.SNIPER 5 Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Storage: Kingston V300 Series 240GB Storage: Western Digital Red Pro 3TB Video Card: 2x(SLI) Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II @ 1410mhz / 1600mhz Case: Corsair 760T White Power Supply:  AX1200i  Buildlog: [ Build Log ] Black and Green build

Friend - Dude for my birthday my parents got me a PC for gaming.

Turns out it was a crappy commercial Asus desktop tower, and the store they bought it from put in extra ram and a GT 630.

Me - That graphics card won't run games well

Friend - I know, that's why I got 8 gigs of RAM instead of 4

*facepalm*...

HOWEVER For his next birthday I helped him upgrade from that GT 630 to a GTX 750ti, he's much happier now.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY

Le USD $300 Second Hand Potato

CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8GHz Motherboard: Intel DP55WG RAM: 12GB Corsair Budget 1333MHz (2x2GB+2x4GB) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 512MB Case: Cooler Master Elite Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB PSU: Cooler Master Generic 500W (came with case) Displays: 21.5" 1080p Acer G226HQL Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Mx Reds) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Turtle Beach X12's Operating System: Windows 10

Yep... My peripherals cost me more than the rig itself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My favourite...

“640K ought to be enough [memory] for anybody.”
- Bill Gates

"Can I hot swap RAM?"

Dis track?  Jesus christ why'd we even fight a war?  - Ron Cadillac

My favourite...

“640K ought to be enough [memory] for anybody.”

- Bill Gates

Sorry not true, though to be fair it is a bit of an 'internet legend'.

Writing in 1996 he 'said'

" I've said some stupid things and some wrong things, but not that. No one involved in computers would ever say that a certain amount of memory is enough for all time … I keep bumping into that silly quotation attributed to me that says 640K of memory is enough. There's never a citation; the quotation just floats like a rumor, repeated again and again."

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=+I%27ve+said+some+stupid+things+and+some+wrong+things+bill+gates&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=Q8D5VYG7Hoa8Ucvlg8AM

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

-snip-

Sure, he can deny that as much as I can deny we are not having this conversation. Some things are made up, but this one, I strongly believe is not.

Sure, he can deny that as much as I can deny we are not having this conversation. Some things are made up, but this one, I strongly believe is not.

Well you can believe what you want. Proving it to other people on the other hand ...

Care to find any credible evidence that he said it?

There are a gazzilion and one ( <spot the slight hyperbole there) sites that say he didn't say it, none (believable),  I can find, that state he did say it.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

-snip-

Look your opinion/proof is hypothetical as much as my statement is.

But in the light of this debate I will allocate a little time and defend my case.

He went to meetings, he went to conventions, parties and so on. The chances that he said that somewhere to someone, weather his opinion or mistake or whatever else he could think of a reason he said it, are big. It would be in his absolute best interest to deny this, for a simple reason, his reputation. He might be a calm, experienced and smart old man now but he was young as everyone else and made I presume regrettable mistakes.

And a bonus is that CEO's say shit to uplift their company product's value (or trash someone else's), so this hypothetical statement is believable.

I mean if you really still think I am making all of this up, I will be glad to spend a little more time and remember another stupid quote related to tech.

My dad used to work of the army corp of engineers, so he had been working with computers since the 70's he used to code things in COBAL and FORTRAN and was responsible for designing the password programs for the army's data storage and other such programs.

Random fun fact that has nothing to do with this thread at all, I'm actually learning COBOL right now at vo-tech school. 

Actual contribution to the thread: There was this kid in my math class last year who is actually pretty smart, and he's also interested in tech. I was talking to him once, and I told him about how my Droid Turbo had no root access or bootloader unlock, and he starts going on about how he's flashed every ROM in the book, and went on to list a bunch of them, but then I saw him using it in study hall, and guess what ROM was running on it? Stock. Touchwiz. I guess it's possible he just likes Touchwiz better, but I still think he was lying.

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

Will putting a cat on my laptop or computer increase the fps in my games?

Oh boy the stupidity is real in linustech house  <_<

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

"What's so special about 1080p 60fps?"

"nothing, that's why we game in 4k 60fps"

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just saw this today...this is in relation as to why someone is getting low FPS in a lower resolution than a higher one.

Your GPU ain't made to play at 720p. It cripples itself badly there as a result.

I mean higher end cards generally are built for high resolutions and not for 800x600

"Apple is better than Windows"

"Apple cost more because you get more than your money!"

"Android is slow, my mom's Android tablet from 2009 is slow and it's so ugly."

Not even joking, when I try to tell people that Windows > Apple and Android > iOS at my school, this is usually their response.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

"AMD video cards are better than nVidia"

Intel i7-4790K Processor, 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3-1600 RAM, ASUS Z-87 Pro Motherboard, Corsair RM 750 PSU, 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 2 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs, ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX GPU, Corsair Carbide 500R Case, AFT Pro-77U Card Reader, Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor – U2415, Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920, Windows 9 (Windows 10 with StartIsBack++)

This is a quote from techradar.com in regards to them comparing the specs between the Xbox One and the PS4

"PS4 has a distinct advantage with faster 8GB GDDR5 memory, while Xbox One went with the slower bandwidth of the 8GB DDR3 variety..."

Granted I'm no systems expert BUT I do believe something in there is wrong... If I'm wrong and I'm just a confused child someone please let me know because if this is the case why doesn't everything use the clearly superior GDDR5

Link to the article: http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gaming/consoles/ps4-vs-xbox-720-which-is-better-1127315/2

Spoiler
Spoiler

Case Corsair Air 540 CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600 GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 iCX Motherboard Asus X370-F Memory G.Skill Flare X 16GB (2x8) 2400MHz Display Asus VG248QE Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512GB - Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD - 1TB Seagate Barracuda - 1TB WD Blue OS MS X Pro Peripherals Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire -  Razer DeathAdder 2013

Spoiler

Case 15.4" Mid 2012 MacBook Pro CPU Intel Core i7-3720QM GPU Nvidia GT650M Memory Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz Display 1680x1050 AntiGlare Display Storage 1TB 5400RPM or Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD OS OS X Yosemite (Maybe El Capitan?) - BootCamp MS X Pro Peripherals Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 -  Razer DeathAdder 2013 - Mionix Naos 7000 - Logitech K120 - Razer Tartarus Keypad

"The iphone just works, why would I want to customize anything when I can get it from the store and just have it work?"

-Moronic customer at the local t-mobile store

"Macs are better."

- Whys that?

"Well, why are PC's better?!"

- I asked you first, but ok... PC's allow for you to swap out hardware, pcs are more widely supported in programs, games, and just general software. pc's are 1/2 the price, for the same if not better hardware; just to name a few.

"But pc's can get viruses!"

- And so can macs.

"No"

- *Facepalm* If you're not even going to try and prove something, then don't say it at all.

"Macs can't get viruses, they told me so at the apple store."

- They did, did they?

"Yes, they also said that I should buy an apple watch because its the most high-tech fashion item out there."

- And did you?

"Yes."

At that point I walked away from the conversation. I could bear it no longer.

-Excerpt from a conversation with a hipster university student in my Environmental science class.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

"The iphone just works, why would I want to customize anything when I can get it from the store and just have it work?"

-Moronic customer at the local t-mobile store

A conversation I had with my friend

Me: "I think I need to replace my HTC One M7 soon. Its getting a bit outdated"

Friend: "What do you think you'll get?"

Me: "I don't know the market is pretty meh. Maybe I'll get iPhone"

Friend: "You would do that"

Me: "I just hate all the current Andriod phones and with iPhone I don't get to make decisions so really nothing possibly could wrong"

Friend: "It's an iPhone"

Me: "I know :("

Spoiler
Spoiler

Case Corsair Air 540 CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600 GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 iCX Motherboard Asus X370-F Memory G.Skill Flare X 16GB (2x8) 2400MHz Display Asus VG248QE Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512GB - Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD - 1TB Seagate Barracuda - 1TB WD Blue OS MS X Pro Peripherals Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire -  Razer DeathAdder 2013

Spoiler

Case 15.4" Mid 2012 MacBook Pro CPU Intel Core i7-3720QM GPU Nvidia GT650M Memory Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz Display 1680x1050 AntiGlare Display Storage 1TB 5400RPM or Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD OS OS X Yosemite (Maybe El Capitan?) - BootCamp MS X Pro Peripherals Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 -  Razer DeathAdder 2013 - Mionix Naos 7000 - Logitech K120 - Razer Tartarus Keypad

I was asked by dell tech support in regards to my old laptop....is it turned on? I just told him that I was staring at a blue screen of death....

Here's your sign.

I had a conversation with Dell Tech Support that went like this.

Me: "The laptop fell. I think theres damage to the hard drive."

Tech Support: "No No No, its a software issue."

Me: *Runs Diagnostic test on laptop* Hmm it says the only malfunctioning hardware is the hard drive.."

I call back

Me: "The diagnostic says the hard drive is damaged."

Tech Support: "No its a software issue."

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

"Close the window you're letting all the wifi out"

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

"I run 3 active antivirus programs to stay secure."

That's what a guy told me a while ago. He was running Avast, Kaspersky and Norton at the same time on his system with a P4 and 1GB RAM was really struggling. Not to mention the amount of false positives.  :lol:

for the most part, that's true except for very low and high end

This guy is a troll, ignore him. He just blindly hates on things without real arguments.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds