First update to come to Tribes:Ascend in over 2 years

Pyromaniac225

HiRezStew (Schisam on twitter) linked to a gamespot article earlier today outlining the patch

You guys have no idea how excited I am for this. I love this game.

Source(s):

4454b5f7e5.png

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/tribes-ascends-first-patch-in-2-years-outlined/1100-6430366/

Things outlined that will happen in the patch:

Alongside a new map, the most notable change is the merging of Ascend's nine classes. The update condenses those classes down to three core ones, similar to what was available in the older Tribes game: Light, Medium, and Heavy. Each class has nine loadouts (all of which are free) for you to customize, and all weapon, armor, and perk upgrades are now part of the respective items' base stats.

-Medium characters can carry 3 weapons

-Heavy can carry 4

-Light can (presumably) carry 2

Weapons have been re-classed. Now instead of specific "secondary" or "primary" they will be classified by weapon type, such as "shotgun" or "spinfusor".

Other changes include making all of the original paid base class loadouts and default items from Ascend's original class system free. A number of weapons have been tweaked, including shotguns, which have been made more reliable.

Personal thoughts:

I played the crap out of this game. I have about 1.5K hours total (not many AFK either). About 1000 on steam and ~500 before it was on steam.

I'm glad they are deciding to update it. But is it too little too late?

The engine roars but then it gives, but never dies

We don't live we just survive

On the scraps that you throw awaaaaaay

ho ly shit

500 Posts achieved 29/4/16 9:13PM

i7 980x Power! BeamnDrivionothbesgameComicSans

“I was the rebellious one.” - Maxene Andrews

Damn that's a nice hair flick 1981 Simon LeBon!

"Nothing gets you going like a juicy pussy!" - ashens

"what sorry blender isn't that what you make smoothe?" - pathole

"Yeah, well i'm a member of the waffen ss who lives with hitler in the bunker And i like modern music!" - Hans krebs loves fish

"We won world war 2 for a reason" - ironic shitposting is still shitposting

"Fight shooting game with pretty girls" - megami strike 1943

"You've got wood in an evo" - moog

"oxygofishafacematerialsotosis" - linus

"Vehicle stimulator" - crappy russian mod site

"The power table" - Nerdcubed

"Nuclear spaghetti" - ashens

FRANKIE SAYS RELAX!!!!

Does this still have a decent player base? I thought it fell out of favour years ago.

i5 4690K | Asus Ranger VII | 8GB HyperX Fury | Asus GTX 780 | NZXT H440 | Samsung 850 Evo | Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM 750W | Corsair H105 

E3-1246 v3 | Asus Gryphon Z97 | 8GB HyperX Fury | MSI GTX 970 | Enthoo Evolv mATX | Samsung 840 Evo | WD Red | EVGA SuperNova GS 650W | NZXT Kracken x41 

Does this still have a decent player base? I thought it fell out of favour years ago.

300 daily players on steam.

No idea how many off of steam.

It has started growing since the first announcement. As said they are up to 300 players at peak in steam players. And that is around EU prime time.

I for one started playing it again to get those numbers up. And I also haven't found another multiplayer game to get into after quitting TA 2 years ago.

I don't expect massive long time support. But hopefully they will make the game a bit better so it can sustain a bigger player base.

It has started growing since the first announcement. As said they are up to 300 players at peak in steam players. And that is around EU prime time.

I for one started playing it again to get those numbers up. And I also haven't found another multiplayer game to get into after quitting TA 2 years ago.

I don't expect massive long time support. But hopefully they will make the game a bit better so it can sustain a bigger player base.

I checked earlier pre-announcement and it was ~300 daily players. I know I am definitely going to start playing again. Me and my 6 accounts.

I only have about 12 hours on this game, but they were very fun 12 hours!

Glad to see it's seeing a semi-revival, haven't played in years.

What were the original 9 classes?

Anyhow, I have been considering trying this game for a while, but didn't pick it up because of the supposed lac of players.

I will definitely give it a try now. 

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

oh my god. I thought the player base had died

I love Tribes Ascend

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

i really hope they market it with a relaunch on steam, game was great. few balance issues here and there but i hope it grows again.

never tried this game, my pc was weak when it was in its prime.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Anyhow, I have been considering trying this game for a while, but didn't pick it up because of the supposed lac of players.

There were still basically light medium and heavy classes. There were just 3 of every one. There were just set to fixed roles based on what guns and equipment was given to them.

The difference of the 3 types is the HP amount and weight for flying and skying.

Old tribes games always had 3 different frames and you could customize the layout.

This is actually a pretty big change for them. Last time they reworked the class system was in Beta where they had like 20 different classes for all sorts of different roles. Then they changed it to 9 and allowed for different load outs for whatever style you like to play.

And it seems that they are going even further with it. Hopefully they will get the balance right with the fact that heavy classes can have 4 weapons. And hopefully they will get the new map right. They did port some of the old Tribes maps over but based on how different the physics work in TA they weren't all that good to play in.

Wow damn.

I really liked Tribes back in the day :D

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Awesome! Might pick it up again. Had over hundreds of hours on it before. Stopped playing as player base in taiwan went near 0 and servers that had people were like 200+ ping for me...

YESSSSSSSSSSSS

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Awesome

Still no grappling hook though.. Shazbot!

And nothing on the hackers that drove me from the game last time. Has anything been done to stop them?

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Pathfinder - Capper, Chaser

Sentinel - Sniper

Infiltrator - Stealth Assassin

Soldier - Medium Offense/Defense/Capper(ish) Default class

Technician - Turrets and shit

Raider - Medium Offense/Defense/Support

Juggernaut - Heavy Offense

Doombringer - Heavy Defense

Brute - most useless class, not really sure why it exists other than to troll people.  I will happily use its Spinfusor though with the new class loadouts

Awesome

Still no grappling hook though.. Shazbot!

And nothing on the hackers that drove me from the game last time. Has anything been done to stop them?

Yeah man. In the extended patch notes

I don't have them right now. Post em when I find em again