Teen Sentenced to 11 years+lifetime internet monitoring for supporting ISIS via Social Media.

Centurius

Is that the same kid who had a teenage girl crowd following him? Teens are stupid as shit :/.

Mid-range Emulation Gaming and Video Rendering PC

[CPU] i7 4790k 4.7GHz & 1.233v Delidded w/ CLU & vice method [Cooling] Corsair H100i [Mobo] Asus Z97-A [GPU] MSI GTX 1070 SeaHawk X[RAM] G.Skill TridentX 2400 9-11-11-30 CR1 [PSU] Corsair 750M 

No, the strawman I'm referring to is your assertion that saying that a child associating with the wrong people online shouldn't be treated as harshly as this amounts to defending ISIS. That's absurd.

He wasn't only associated with them. If I explained to a guy how to use bitcoin, that's not bad. If I sent and recruited terrorists to the middle East, that's bad. To refer to your previous analogy, this is like teaching Putin to cook pancakes. But also poisoning those pancakes and serving it to poor people.

- snip-

No one is even slightly perturbed by a child being sent for prison for explaining how to use Bitcoin online?

As others have stated numerous times in this thread:

Under American Law, it is illegal for Americans to knowingly and intentionally provide support to a Terrorist Organization.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2339B

Straight up, what he did was illegal. Whether his record is "wiped" (More like sealed, not erased) when he turns 18 entirely depends on whether he was tried as an adult or not. Not to mention that this would only kick into effect after he's released from his sentence.

He didn't just "provide knowledge freely available" to random dudes online. He specifically and intentionally showed ISIS members how to use Bitcoins to hide their transactions. That's wilfully helping the funding of terrorism - even if he does not contribute (Same reason an accountant for a terrorist would be guilty, just to a higher degree in that case).

Furthermore, he attempted to provide transportation for radicalized individuals to travel to Syria to fight against the US and her allies. That is also quite exceptionally illegal.

To terrorists that would rather rip your head off than have a meaningful converstation...

I'm glad this ass is behind bars.

I agree - although I would personally support a shorter sentence - maybe 5 years - and then heavy mandatory counselling and therapy to try and de-radicalize him.

"helped explain to ISIS supporters how to use Bitcoin"

among other things

Indeed. That's not just posting a random "How-to" guide online. It's the difference between posting the basics behind explosive chemistry, to specifically teaching a terrorist how to make a bomb, knowing he's a terrorist and is going to blow up innocent people. There's a line - a difference - that has been crossed in the latter example.

Legally he is a child. Also legality =/= morality. Doesn't matter if I think he was right or wrong -- were his actions actually illegal? 

I'm not being obtuse. I'm questioning the level of trust the people in this thread are putting in their government overlords. What the kid did was irresponsible and possibly immoral, but a kid he was and nothing in the OP actually highlights any crime occurring. It seems to me he got 11 years in prison for associating with Undesirables.

Say that again, I'm not sure the "condescending prick" came across strong enough.

Yes, see above - his actions were straight up illegal under US law.

what about  the parents. That child is 11 years old. How and why on earth are they not monitoring this kids web history? They are still responsible for that child. They should be charged also. Endagering the welfare of a child and child neglect for that matter.

Erm you got that wrong. He's 17 years old. At 17 years old, I knew the difference between making stupid teenage choices, and wilfully supporting terrorists.

At that age, his parents could be 100% innocent of any wrong-doing - or their could have supported and nurtured his radicalization. There's not enough information to say. In this day and age, a 17 year old teenager could easily be radicalized online without his parents ever knowing.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Under American Law, it is illegal for Americans to knowingly and intentionally provide support to a Terrorist Organization.

Straight up, what he did was illegal. Whether his record is "wiped" (More like sealed, not erased) when he turns 18 entirely depends on whether he was tried as an adult or not. Not to mention that this would only kick into effect after he's released from his sentence.

He didn't just "provide knowledge freely available" to random dudes online. He specifically and intentionally showed ISIS members how to use Bitcoins to hide their transactions. That's wilfully helping the funding of terrorism - even if he does not contribute (Same reason an accountant for a terrorist would be guilty, just to a higher degree in that case).

Furthermore, he attempted to provide transportation for radicalized individuals to travel to Syria to fight against the US and her allies. That is also quite exceptionally illegal.

"Terrorist organisation" is so poorly defined. The USA once supported the IRA, the Taliban, Al Quaeda (they still do when their interests align).

This thread is four pages of people arguing against their own interests and liberty because the villain in this instance was ISIS. That's sad.

"Terrorist organisation" is so poorly defined. The USA once supported the IRA, the Taliban, Al Quaeda (they still do when their interests align).

This thread is four pages of people arguing against their own interests and liberty because the villain in this instance was ISIS. That's sad.

So your problem is with the specific wording of US Law then, and nothing else.

Because I can't believe that you wouldn't consider ISIS/ISIL a terrorist organization. It's pretty much recognized as one world-wide, including by many arab/muslim nations.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

no he got off easy.

11 years of simple internet monitoring for helping, and helping someone join, group who practices rape and murder as much as the US army practices driving.  remember according to ISIS its ok to take a 9 year old as a slave force her to marry you so you can rape her.  plus they pretty much shoot any fighter who surrenders to them. they have murdered thousands of surrenders soldiers.  plus murdering people who try to tell them not to do those things. or how bout beating women who they deem not "modest" enough.

he's a piece of shit who deserves to be killed like every member of isis or supporter.

You misread. 11 years of prison, lifetime of Internet monitoring. Also no one deserves to be killed. I would go off on a tangent about how the death penalty is wrong, but that is unrelated. Prison is good, however American prisons are on the whole too hard, and Norwegians are at the other end of the scale, being really nice. Prison should be about rehabilitation and punishment; punishment is the lack of freedom and personal possessions, and rehabilitation schemes would be in place.

No one is even slightly perturbed by a child being sent for prison for explaining how to use Bitcoin online?

When you strip all context from it I guess it does sound pretty bad. I don't have a problem that he went to prison, but I don't know if I agree with the sentence given the circumstances. Is this normal or is the kid being made an example of?

OMG i hate ISIS (i am Muslim btw)

Why take over the world if its not gonna happen. 

Well it was said in the Quran that there would be 24 "terrorist organisation" before the world ended, those who take God's name but fight in vain. 

Good that this prick is being sentenced by putting more people in danger. 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Anyone helping a terrorist organization in any shape or form should be classified as a terrorist and should be held with same punishment.

I'd seriously waterboard your ass, pls stop sending me candy crush requests.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

No, not at all really and actually now that you bring it up I think I'm more perturbed by the fact they went so light on him. 

Now before you break out into a long rant about this, that and likely some of the other.  Let me save you the time because I simply won't care. It's a matter of personal opinion, you have yours and I clearly have mine. I'm of the opinion no matter what age he was, the moment he aided a group known to viciously kill others, in any fashion, he stopped being a child and he stopped being a bystander. When you knowingly support and aid group's like that you become a defacto member as far as I'm concerned and should be treated as such. 

Feel free to ignore anything else I may have to say on matters we disagree on, my feelings won't be hurt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitter_Joke_Trial

The joke you're referring to was a joke threat to blow up an airport in Yorkshire. Personally I think the context of his joke was clear, but you can kind of see how that got out of hand.

That isn't the joke that I was referring to.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

Well if that gets you 11 years what do we give to people supplying them weapons? Weapons that are no doubt comming from the US anyway

They get the sweeper team. Clean and off the record.

@ topic

This kid took stupid on a whole other galaxy. Probably though he was gonna get away with a capital offense just because he was a "kid".

Btw what is up with all these Isis posts xD two topics I tend to avoid. Religion and politics.

Desktop: ARX-Laevatein : soon to be ARX-8 http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/8RyhHx

Custom Aurora R4 ALX case + Caselabs Merlin Pedestal | i7- 4820k @ 4.8 Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Gene Mobo | 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum | EVGA/Gigabyte 12GB Titan X SLI | 128GB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 2x WD RED 3TB| EVGA 1200 P2 PSU | Win 10 | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Corsair M95 | Asus ROG Swift PG278Q | Sennheiser G4ME ZERO White

Laptop: M17x R4 Stealth Black :

i7-3940xm | 32 Gb G.Skill Ripjaws | 8Gb GTX 880m | Killer Wireless N-1103 | 500Gb Samsung 840 EVO, 1TB WD 5400rpm + 32Gb Msata SSD Cache | 1920 x 1080 120Hz 3D screen | DVDRWBD | Sound Blaster recon 3Di | M18x 330w PSU | Win 7 Ultimate | Zalman ZM-NC11 Black | Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB | Razer Mamba 2012 | Sennheiser PC 363D 7.1 Headset

Legally he is a child. Also legality =/= morality. Doesn't matter if I think he was right or wrong -- were his actions actually illegal?

A 17 year old is not a "child", not in this day and age, 20-30 years ago sure, but today any 12 year old knows more than what 12 year old kids knew 20-30 years ago.

He is an adult in my eyes if he helped ISIS, this "18 years to be an adult" is obsolete in my book, specially if it can get you out of situations like this with only a slap on the wrist.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

I agree - although I would personally support a shorter sentence - maybe 5 years - and then heavy mandatory counselling and therapy to try and de-radicalize him.

Indeed. That's not just posting a random "How-to" guide online. It's the difference between posting the basics behind explosive chemistry, to specifically teaching a terrorist how to make a bomb, knowing he's a terrorist and is going to blow up innocent people. There's a line - a difference - that has been crossed in the latter example.

Yes, see above - his actions were straight up illegal under US law.

Erm you got that wrong. He's 17 years old. At 17 years old, I knew the difference between making stupid teenage choices, and wilfully supporting terrorists.

At that age, his parents could be 100% innocent of any wrong-doing - or their could have supported and nurtured his radicalization. There's not enough information to say. In this day and age, a 17 year old teenager could easily be radicalized online without his parents ever knowing.

Couldn't agree any more!  Thanks for setting them straight! 

Title is actually very misleading. Supporting carries the interpretation that he only agreed with their beliefs. When he was in fact literally giving aid to ISIS, should really be changed from "Supporting" to "Aiding", and this wasn't all across social media purely, so should be more like, 

"Teen sentenced to 11yrs for aiding ISIS over online medium"

Now that that's out of the way, good. This kid is a fucktard who honestly doesnt deserve to breathe the same air as the people he shares a country with. Ship him off to that god forsaken fuck bucket they call a caliphate and see how well he does, get him out of this country; because any adult in his situation would have been tried for Treason and either sentenced to death or life in prison.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

No psychotherapy at all?

Trust me, a 11 year prison sentence and he supported ISIS, trust me, he is going to get all the therapy he will need in prison lol, not in the good since either. He more then likely will be beat up, raped and tortured his inter stay were he is going. The most hated criminals in prison that are hated by other inmates are, Child milisters, women and children killers and tarriest against the home land.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

I don't think this is harsh at all, because it sends out a very strong message.

It's like the people who got their ass in the slammer for 5-10 years for pointing lasers at aircraft.

The law ain't fuckin' around with this stuff.

I'm pretty sure that USSR spies during the cold war got lesser sentences so while I'm not fond of the severity of the sentence I'm alright with him getting in trouble for his actions.

I'm pretty sure that USSR spies during the cold war got lesser sentences so while I'm not fond of the severity of the sentence I'm alright with him getting in trouble for his actions.

Wow, you really need to fact check before making those kinds of statements.

Well he deserves it as far as I'm concerned.

Pretty sure treason is still punishable by death in the US

Another life ruined because people care more about punishing criminals rather than rehabilitating them.

What could have been a decent human being doing some idiotic mistakes in his youth will now be an outcast who will probably resort to more crimes in the future.

Also, is "lifetime Internet monitoring" really a punishment? I thought that was the norm and applied to everyone these days.

Another life ruined because people care more about punishing criminals rather than rehabilitating them.

What could have been a decent human being doing some idiotic mistakes in his youth will now be an outcast who will probably resort to more crimes in the future.

Also, is "lifetime Internet monitoring" really a punishment? I thought that was the norm and applied to everyone these days.

Orrrrrrrr you could not be a fuckup in the first place. But you know.. that's too much to ask of people..

Do you actually understand the articles you linked? I've noticed that a lot of people who talk about Tor don't even know the basics of how it works.

Its not as simple as "Tor is secure" or "Tor isn't secure".

Orrrrrrrr you could not be a fuckup in the first place. But you know.. that's too much to ask of people..

Yeah... Telling people to never make any mistakes in the first place is a bit too much to ask. That also assumes that no innocent person is ever wrongfully sentenced, which sadly happens all the time.