Do you agree or disagree with digital piracy

REDNINJA2012

I am conducting a poll that is open to anyone and everyone it is for my latest legal studies assignment and my topic is digital piracy

The poll is not compulsory but it would help significantly

thankyou

95% of the things I pirate, I have either no way to watch it on TV/On demand/ Netflix, or it costs entirely way to much.  

Majority of those can be fixed too lol

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I pirate some movies, its because it way to expensive here. $50 for 720p copy? and i can download a 1080p copy for free..

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

I would say sort of. I don't pirate anything my self, but say someone wants to play a game and know if it's any good so they pirate it then buy the game after trying it out is fine with me. also something like pirating saints row IV in Australia would be fine since they can't legally buy the full game. I don't like though when someone pirates because they are too cheap to buy it. Usually when something is pirated a lot it means they have a supply issue like Game of Thrones.

Most things i dont like the idea of pirating. But things where they make it so difficult or so expensive to get and arent always accessible to everyone i could understand a bit. so things like :

Game of thrones, They make it to where you cant get it any way other than showtime but showtime is so expensive that if you only want it for game of thrones it makes no sense to really pay for it. 

Or like adobe products like photoshop where it costs 80 bajillion dollars not many people can think of a real reason to pay that much so they pirate it. 

Or with some other things like movies that are only in certain countries i could understand that. 

Or with games that wont come out in your country like saints row 4 and AUS or JRPGs and the US. 

Also in some places like India or Brazil (Cant remember which it is) where EA is jacking up the price of games to ungodly amounts i could understand it there too. 

But with most things I dont think you should pirate but those are some exceptions i would understand.

(I had another thing but cant think of it, will edit when it gets back to me)

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Not really, but because I can't afford all of the stuff I pirate I don't feel bad about it. Paying for Android apps is my contribution to producers :p if I can't get a 1080p movie that downloads in less than an hour or two and costs more than a dollar or so, I'm not going to pay for it. Plus half the crap I download isn't even available to buy easily. And a few hundred or even a thousand for some software? Come on....

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

ridiclously expensive programs that have shitty demos I will never stand, and they should learn from why people pirate, if they had a system like Logan said, where you'd have a cut down version of the product, and pay $20 for each separate plug in, piracy would decrease significantly.

TV's and Movies can't be fixed though, but they get revenue in other ways than just DVD and theater ticket sales, but videogames solely make money off of the sales, so pirating games for me is a big no-no, although the industry should have proper demos so people will stop pirating just to see if they like the game :/

I agree. Here in Argentina we get TV shows like a year later than the US, sometimes even more... And as for games I admit I do download them just to see if it works correctly and if its good. Then I buy them

CPU: AMD FX 6100 Stock - MB: Asus M5A97 EVO - RAM: AMD Memory Entertainment Edition 2x4 GB 1600 MHz - PSU: Topower 650W NANO - SSD: Samsung 840 120GB - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500 GB 7200 RPM - GPU: Sapphire HD 7770 Vapor - X OC - CASE: Aerocool Strike - X Advance (Red/Black) - OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Most things i dont like the idea of pirating. But things where they make it so difficult or so expensive to get and arent always accessible to everyone i could understand a bit. so things like :

Game of thrones, They make it to where you cant get it any way other than showtime but showtime is so expensive that if you only want it for game of thrones it makes no sense to really pay for it. 

Or like adobe products like photoshop where it costs 80 bajillion dollars not many people can think of a real reason to pay that much so they pirate it. 

Or with some other things like movies that are only in certain countries i could understand that. 

Or with games that wont come out in your country like saints row 4 and AUS or JRPGs and the US. 

Also in some places like India or Brazil (Cant remember which it is) where EA is jacking up the price of games to ungodly amounts i could understand it there too. 

But with most things I dont think you should pirate but those are some exceptions i would understand.

(I had another thing but cant think of it, will edit when it gets back to me)

yeah, you're getting the censored version of SR4 for europe :P

not that you should be concerned, that game will be shit

Why would I be against something marvelous that is completely legal?

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Why would I be against something marvelous that is completely legal?

lol

I somewhat wish I was swiss, but then I feel I would be conning the people who worked hard on that project

I pirate songs because i can't find the albums, or i want FLAC files

Movies because 2 hour "movie" should not be priced at 15$ per ticket

Games because 60$ is too much, 45 is reasonable.

Windows i pirate because for a software that almost everyone has, it shouldn't be expesive as it is.

I own a original copy of win 7, but i will have no issue pirating it for my family, i got mine for free

i buy games for cheap, and movies is just BS.

:/

yeah, you're getting the censored version of SR4 for europe :P

not that you should be concerned, that game will be shit

I dont live in europe so i get full game and that game will be amazing. Imma beat all the old ladys with dildos 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

lol

I somewhat wish I was swiss, but then I feel I would be conning the people who worked hard on that project

Or the Netherlands (where I live), or Spain, or even Canada when downloading music is legal.

For me it's 100% legal to download music, tv-series and movies.

Software is something stupid like you can download the ISO but your not allowed to download the key or illegally activate the ISO

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Yes it's very legal as long as you are no the one who is trying to live by creating stuff and selling it, right? -.-.

You think that a programist who spent 10 years learning how to code will be happy that you downloaded his game because publisher set -in your opinion- too high price tag? Games or movies or music or books or tv-series ARE FREAKIN LUXURY ITEM.

NOT FOR POOR PEOPLE.

CANT AFFORD IT? NOT FOR YOU.

dont shield yourself with "but it's too expensive" or "I wouldnt get it otherwise anyway". Yes, you wouldnt get it, and what? Would you die because of that? No. It's not necessary and it's not other peoples job to give you luxury items.

make something digital & useful and then try to sell it, you will see how hard it is to actually sell a product in the world of people who "wouldn't buy it otherwise anyway".

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Yes it's very legal as long as you are no the one who is trying to live by creating stuff and selling it, right? -.-.

You think that a programist who spent 10 years learning how to code will be happy that you downloaded his game because publisher set -in your opinion- too high price tag? Games or movies or music or books or tv-series ARE FREAKIN LUXURY ITEM.

NOT FOR POOR PEOPLE.

CANT AFFORD IT? NOT FOR YOU.

dont shield yourself with "but it's too expensive" or "I wouldnt get it otherwise anyway". Yes, you wouldnt get it, and what? Would you die because of that? No. It's not necessary and it's not other peoples job to give you luxury items.

make something useful and then try to sell it, you will see how hard it is to actually sell a product in the world of people who "wouldn't buy it otherwise anyway".

Firts of all, like I said, downloading software is NOT legal here.

Second, we do pay for the content when we download it (sort of)

There is a tax on all data carriers (flash drives, HDD, DVD's, MP3 players, tablets, etc, etc) the mony coming from that tax is distributed to content creators.

Its impossible to stop piracy, but this way they still get some money from the pirates (thought studies have proven that pirates spend a lot more on media than non pirates)

The only material I have pirated are TV shows which I could just watch on my TV anyway and gentleman’s special interest content.

Case: Corsair C70 GunMetalBlack, CPU: Intel 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v lx, CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz lp, Video Card: Asus HD7950 DC2 Top V2, SSD: Samsung 840 pro, HDD: one Seagate 2TB Barracuda, PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power pro 10 650w, Monitor: Dell UltraSharp u2412m, Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire tk (Brown Switches), Mouse: Steelseries Sensei raw, Sennheiser HD 558

Firts of all, like I said, downloading software is NOT legal here.

Second, we do pay for the content when we download it (sort of)

There is a tax on all data carriers (flash drives, HDD, DVD's, MP3 players, tablets, etc, etc) the mony coming from that tax is distributed to content creators.

Its impossible to stop piracy, but this way they still get some money from the pirates (thought studies have proven that pirates spend a lot more on media than non pirates)

I think some studies suggest that pirates spend more money on digital media, but you cannot absolutely say that it is proven.

Case: Corsair C70 GunMetalBlack, CPU: Intel 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v lx, CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz lp, Video Card: Asus HD7950 DC2 Top V2, SSD: Samsung 840 pro, HDD: one Seagate 2TB Barracuda, PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power pro 10 650w, Monitor: Dell UltraSharp u2412m, Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire tk (Brown Switches), Mouse: Steelseries Sensei raw, Sennheiser HD 558

An interesting thing you may want to look into...

Since piracy has really caught on the music industry has been improving.

P2P is a great median for mp3s, although it is technically illegal the free advertisement and distribution does help.

Since piracy has really caught on the music industry has been improving.

Funny you say that, I have been an avid music fan through the 80's 90's 00's and I reckon the music industry has been getting worse. Not so much the profitability side (I don't know about that) but the way it operates, who makes it to the big time and how artists are promoted or demoted. 

Not saying it specifically has anything to do with piracy, it may or may not however there has been a big change and it coincides with changes in technology.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

"If someone pirates Minecraft instead of buying it, it means I’ve lost some “potential” revenue. Not actual revenue, as I can never go into debt by people pirating the game too much, but I might’ve made even more if that person had bought the game instead. But what if that person likes that game, talks about it to his or her friends, and then I manage to convince three of them to buy the game? I’d make three actual sales instead of blocking out the potentially missed sale of the original person which never cost me any money in the first case."

-Notch

post-621-0-29474800-1375958657.png

There's a time and place for everything! But not now. - Professor Oak

i7 2600K 4.3GHz  -  GTX 1060 3GB  - ASUS P8Z68-V - 16GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - EIZO 1080p 120Hz VA

Intel Skulltrail: 2x Core 2 Quad QX9775 - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-800 CL5 Quad Channel

EVGA SR-2 Classified - 2x Xeon X5675 4.2GHz - 24GB DDR3-1830 C10 Triple Channel

Intel Skulltrail #2: 2x Xeon E5472  - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-667 CL5 Quad Channel

I do agree that the quality of some of this music has been depreciating. I haven't been around long enough or interested in music enough to judge the impact properly.

I tried googling to find my source from a long time ago and got lost in page after page of articles...

Very interesting topic, I did a research paper on it 3 years ago but, things have really changed since then.

Sidenote based on the post above... The biggest people fighting piracy are those with "old money" everyone else is just innovating and finding a way to profit.

I pirate all movies, a 2 hour movie should not cost that much its just silly.

I pirate all tv-shows, its impossible to catch them on TV.

I pirate games to demo them, play for maybe an hour or two and decide if I want to buy the game or not, If i do, I buy it, If I don't I delete the game.  Simple.  All games should have a demo.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

I will pirate TV shows because my TV is always hogged by the rest of the family  and we don't have foxtel or any paid TV so what difference does it make really?

Also I download some games to test them and see if I like them, then I support the developers and buy it! (EA is a fair exception though :D)

Annnnd because I'm 15, I can't really afford any of Adobe's products that I need for school or other things like Visual Studio sooo yea...

i7 3770 | Asus Maximus V Formula | Asus GTX 780 | Corsair H100i | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W | Obsidian 650D | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro

I think some studies suggest that pirates spend more money on digital media, but you cannot absolutely say that it is proven.

I have never seen studies that states otherwise, but no its not proven either.