Do you agree or disagree with digital piracy

REDNINJA2012

You said that every pirated copy is depriving the author of royalties. It's the same argument. I said before I was paying legalities no mind and I should have continued to do so. Legality is all too often a poor indicator of right and wrong.

yes I did, and we agree on this one. legality is definitely no indicator of right or wrong.

I'm assuming you're referring to the Photoshop comment, in which case I don't need to know how many sales there would or would not have been, I only need to know it wouldn't have equaled the amount of pirated copies, which is the point I was making.

I don't see how that justifies it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

A bit yeah, I have reasons why I do;

Games -  I used to to test the game to see if I actually liked it, I just buy them now.

Music -  I do see my fair share of live music and if I really like the album then I will buy it.

Movies - I usually see a lot in the cinema, and the rest of my family still buy some DVDs.

TV shows - Majority of it is stuff just aired in the US and I can't see it in the UK for months, and it's free when it is over here so I don't see the problem with that.

It's not perfect, but pirating is usually a lot quicker than buying it too.

I watch TV shows on websites and try to avoid downloading them but if I cant find them I would have to download them.

Games if they dont have a demo and I want to see if it well play will on my system.

Not movies, only really watch blu ray's if possible.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

I pirate what I can't legally obtain (e.g movies, tv, music), or what is too expensive for what you get (e.g software such as Sony Vegas).

I mostly download series that are not on television, sometimes a movie.

I go to the theater a lot (like 3-4 times a month) which costs me about 40 euro. I pay 25 euro a month for movies on demand extra on top of the 30 euro a month I pay for digital television.

When I actually want to buy a movie, I have to drive about 30 km, because there just is no store closer to my house (nearest city is 10 km).

Proud to be from Belgium.

I'm going to use the Adobe apps for an example. Photoshop is one of the most, if not the most pirated software to date. Why do people pirate it? Because guess what the price tag is. $750. That's just for the US, in Australia, software can cost almost 2x as much. Creative cloud is a subscription service, priced at $50 a month. This is still insanely expensive for a student, or someone who just wants to use Premiere for a family vacation video once a year. I like the approach of a more affordable solution, but I feel like Adobe is still being very greedy. Netflix is a prime example of how you can provide your customers with a low-cost, low-hassle service. 36.3 million users as of April. If Adobe, and a lot of other companies could do that, I feel people wouldn't have to pirate it. I would be happy to spend $8/month for the CC suite, not 6x that.

Spoiler

Then please, go and find them and quote what I said them in context to, because the closest thing I can find in the post you replied to was "no reason for anyone to be paying any less", which communicates something very different.

Oh come on now, it's nothing like stealing. Downloading digital software doesn't deprive the person you're downloading it from of having it, nor is it likely to be depriving them of the money they decided it was worth (and I'm telling you now, I'm not going to entertain the argument that every pirated copy equates to a lost sale. It's too foolish). Now, that's not to say there isn't a number of pirates that pirate things they agree with the value of and can afford, but as long as our system remains fundamentally broken, there's very little foundation for telling them they're wrong. If we fix the system, we can take the moral high-ground much more easily.

There are many reasons people fight for and advocate for things and they don't always correlate with what's right and wrong (there are lots of anti marijuana steps taken and yet cigarettes are legal). Piracy does bring in money, but companies can't measure that. If I pirate something and buy the sequel as a result, or recommend it to my friend and they buy it as a result, my piracy would have led to a sale, but how do the creators know that those purchases were due to piracy? They don't.

As far as inevitability, I stated that in context to a very specific situation. The inevitability of piracy due to the inherent flaws of trying to force two particular systems to work together that don't belong together is very different to the inevitability of drug abuse.

It's stealing it, as in each and every copy is technically the property of content creators. Though, you can have infinite copies, they're not losing something, but the end user is getting something without paying. You're saying pretty bold statements when you say companies can't measure the economic impacts of pirating. They don't know the exact numbers of sales impelled by pirating, but they probably have estimates. And it's not about pirating a game and buying the sequel. There must be some negative impact overall caused by pirating, and content creators are pushing anti- piracy movements, advertisements, etc.

They are similar in the fact that they are inevitable. Why they are inevitable is frankly going off topic.