What parts have you purchased but regretted buying later?

NoMooreMercy

What parts have you purchased but regretted buying later?  I know we all think our purchases are right at the time, but what parts have you purchased that you feel were overkill, underwhelming or just the wrong part for the job?  I have a few, here are mine.

Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, don't get me wrong it's a phenomenal case but the window on the side makes me care waaaay too much about aesthetics. Also, it was expensive as balls and it's huge. If I could do over, I'd go with something more quiet and something more minimalist, like the Define R4/R5 or Define S.

Corsair H100i, it's loud as fuck and I haven't even overclocked any chips with it yet. The cooler I was running before (Arctic Freezr 7 Pro) didn't look great, but temperatures were similar.

1000W PSU, I had plans to crossfire two 290x at the time, but due to the 900-series launch I changed my mind. This is way too much, hell even a 500W PSU could power my system.

OS:Windows 10 Pro |  CPU:Intel Core i7 4790k | GPU:ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | RAM:Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) | MoBo:ASUS Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Storage: 500GB Crucial MX200 SSD, 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2) | Monitors:Acer XB270HU/ASUS VH238H | Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma w/ Razer Greens | Mouse:Razer Deathadder Chroma | Headset:BeyerDynamic DT990Pro w/ Antlion Modmic

My ASRock Motherboard and pretty much all the razer stuff I bought when I was still dumb. 

Genius Maxfire Blaze 3 PS3/PC gamepad...

D-pad feels weird and the other buttons feel stiff... overall it strains my wrists due to me having tiny hands...

Should've gone with a logitech or an Xbox controller...

I'm in a similar boat with my current case: it has a windowed panel and I'm thinking I should buy a larger mobo, better cooler, etc. Even though my rig is perfectly functional, worrying about looks is something someone on a budget should forget and just get something really functional without a windowed side panel.

Other than that I also regret I didn't went for more capacity on my SSD and got just 128gb but well that was not to be helped much the prices are changing quite a bit in the spawn of this past year.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Mad Catz R.A.T. 9 which is wireless but its battery life sucks.

I once built a robot called a.h. it was programmed to understand art. However i decided human genetic purity and production. trouble is i accidentally bought a module called racial purity by accident and thought well it couldnt go wrong too badly. Trouble is it left its institution of learning, and ran germany for a while and killed people and eventually itelf. So wish i bought the correct module..

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Getting a new cheap antec case to replace my 5-year old bleached white case. It's terrible! I want a new case D: A good one this time.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Define R5

Don't get me wrong, I love the damn thing but I brought it for water-cooling purposes. A month later the Define S came out and solved every issue I had when water-cooling the Define R5...

GTX 660

I bought this card when I starting out as a noob...it was bought when the 700 series were out and the Asus Direct CU whatever of the 760 was only 10USD more expensive and perform more than the 660 did. I only bought that MSI Twin Frozr 660 for the looks and not the performance of the thing. I kinda regret it....but not really

I'm in a similar boat with my current case: it has a windowed panel and I'm thinking I should buy a larger mobo, better cooler, etc. Even though my rig is perfectly functional, worrying about looks is something someone on a budget should forget and just get something really functional without a windowed side panel.

I dropped soooo much more money on a Maximus VII Hero instead of a cheaper Z97 board, partially for the aesthetics.  I don't regret the purchase because it's a phenomenal board, but I could've saved money by not being so flashy.

OS:Windows 10 Pro |  CPU:Intel Core i7 4790k | GPU:ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | RAM:Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) | MoBo:ASUS Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Storage: 500GB Crucial MX200 SSD, 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2) | Monitors:Acer XB270HU/ASUS VH238H | Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma w/ Razer Greens | Mouse:Razer Deathadder Chroma | Headset:BeyerDynamic DT990Pro w/ Antlion Modmic

My full tower NZXT Phantom case. The LEDs, the design, the size, so many noob mistakes :S

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Logitech M325

I bought it for $30 cause I was short on budget.

The Logitech G303 went for $30 the next week

I couldn't return it since I went back to my country already

i5-4460

I could have waited for a while and purchased a 4690k and had the experience to OC. Having an excuse to getting into water cooling would be nice. But not all paychecks are equal. 

My Build: cpu: i7-12700k motherboard: Asus Strix Gaming D4 Wifi ram: G.Skill 64gb (4x16gb) 4000mhz @ 1.45v case: O11D XL gpu: MSI Gaming Trio 4090 storage: 3x Crucial 1tb Nvme SSDs display: Samsung LC34G55TWWNXZA keyboard: Logitech G915 mouse: Logitech Superlight headset: astro a40 tr

My Scuf PS4 controller(Modded controller with grips and paddles on the back that act as X and O so I have to move my thumb when play fps) it sounded good and is good but I don't even play competitive so it was a waste of money.

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

That stupid NZXT LED light strip. Horrible. Oh and maybe my Phantom 410 and 280x.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Genius Maxfire Blaze 3 PS3/PC gamepad...

D-pad feels weird and the other buttons feel stiff... overall it strains my wrists due to me having tiny hands...

Should've gone with a logitech or an Xbox controller...

Should've used a real PS3 controller lol

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

I have been far too diligent in researching hardware before purchasing that this has never been an issue for me.  I can't say the same thing for games however!

Case: HAF XBCPU: 4690kCPU Cooler: NH D15Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming 7 | RAM: Hyper X FuryVideo Card: G1 Gaming 970SSD: 850 EVO |  PSU: Supernova 550 G2 | 

Hmm... 5820k, I should've waited 5 months for Skylake. Also the H100i. I wish that I waited for the EK AIO.

My CPU, and my first graphics card, my r9 270. It had terrible artifacting, and it was $200. If I had waited I could have gotten a 760, which would have been a great purchase compared to the 270.

CPU: AMD FX 8320  CPU Cooler: 212 Evo GPU: Asus GTX 750 Ti @ 1400MHz RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2x4gb) MOBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Power Supply: Evga G2 650 Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB, San Disk Ultra 240 GB SSD Case: Corsair 230t Orange

Hmm... 5820k, I should've waited 5 months for Skylake. Also the H100i. I wish that I waited for the EK AIO.

WHAT??? The 5820k beats skylake in every benchmarks except single core performance which is because skylake has a higher stock core clock.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Cooler Master Sickle Flow 120mm -  Were advertised as "silent" on Newegg. I beg to differ because can hear my PC from upstairs now. 

Antec 300 - Can't run my 8 pin CPU power from the back because there's no hole at the top of the motherboard tray. Now that wire just runs across the whole board, sticking out like a sore thumb. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Should've used a real PS3 controller lol

Yup... I've grown with the PS systems (in parallel to PC gaming of course)... then again a PS3 controller would cost me way more than the Blaze... I might've gotten better value with a CDR-King one...

The Samsung SM951 512GB m.2 drive - bought it for my new X99 system a month ago. Turns out Windows 10 doesn't like the combination of the SM951 and X99 motherboards. Now it's either back to Windows 8.1 that works or buy an Intel 750 series SSD.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

Hmm.... Still saving up for a PC.

Don't regret my Razer BlackWidow ultimate ( as some people do ) because it was $75 on blackfriday xD

I DO regret buying the shitty Razer kraken pros. Worst dreaming headset ever, the cheap plastic, the cheap retractable mic stripped itself and the things felt like they were crushing my head. I feel bad my grandpa bought them for me because about 2 months later I got the HyperX Cloud 1's. Gave him $20 for some beer though...

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I don't think I've ever really regretted a PC component purchase. I tend to research components obsessively and have to make myself go and get the thing to stop myself before I blow the budget even further. Because naturally the more you research the more you want to get. But other tech? Not so much.

Probably the biggest is wireless gear, specifically routers. Buying slightly higher spec routers to "fix" wireless performance instead of just giving up and running Ethernet. I have literally a stack of wireless routers all of which function perfectly well. Incremental improvements, none of which gave me the performance I wanted.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing