What parts have you purchased but regretted buying later?

NoMooreMercy

Cooler Master Sickle Flow 120mm -  Were advertised as "silent" on Newegg. I beg to differ because can hear my PC from upstairs now. 

Antec 300 - Can't run my 8 pin CPU power from the back because there's no hole at the top of the motherboard tray. Now that wire just runs across the whole board, sticking out like a sore thumb. 

HA those fans. They are a mixed bag tho. Bought 3 of those, 2 were super silent while 1 was loud AF.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I don't think I've ever really regretted a PC component purchase. I tend to research components obsessively and have to make myself go and get the thing to stop myself before I blow the budget even further. Because naturally the more you research the more you want to get. But other tech? Not so much.

See I thought this way too, I watch product reviews and all that good stuff and research extensively but it's what I wanted at the time.  Now I'm thinking to myself, what the hell was I thinking... lol.

OS:Windows 10 Pro |  CPU:Intel Core i7 4790k | GPU:ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | RAM:Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) | MoBo:ASUS Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Storage: 500GB Crucial MX200 SSD, 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2) | Monitors:Acer XB270HU/ASUS VH238H | Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma w/ Razer Greens | Mouse:Razer Deathadder Chroma | Headset:BeyerDynamic DT990Pro w/ Antlion Modmic

I actually did a lot of research and built my pc exactly how I wanted it. The only thing I wish I would have done was get a WD 2TB HDD instead of a Seagate, but it works perfectly so I really can't complain.

I actually did a lot of research and built my pc exactly how I wanted it. The only thing I wish I would have done was get a WD 2TB HDD instead of a Seagate, but it works perfectly so I really can't complain.

What's wrong with the seagate HDD?

Antec EDG650.

Or any ANTEC PSU for my customers.

Antec EDG650.

Or any ANTEC PSU for my customers.

Funny, I just replaced my 1000W Rosewill Capstone PSU with an older Antec Basiq 550W, any reason behind not using Antec PSUs?

OS:Windows 10 Pro |  CPU:Intel Core i7 4790k | GPU:ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | RAM:Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) | MoBo:ASUS Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Storage: 500GB Crucial MX200 SSD, 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2) | Monitors:Acer XB270HU/ASUS VH238H | Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma w/ Razer Greens | Mouse:Razer Deathadder Chroma | Headset:BeyerDynamic DT990Pro w/ Antlion Modmic

Funny, I just replaced my 1000W Rosewill Capstone PSU with an older Antec Basiq 550W, any reason behind not using Antec PSUs?

All of my customers Antec PSUs have killed the system. I lost about $1,200 because of Antec.

My system was killed by an Antec PSU, it ended up costing me $700.

But all of my Coolermaster, FSP, Seasonic, and Corsair systems are fine.

All of my customers Antec PSUs have killed the system. I lost about $1,200 because of Antec.

My system was killed by an Antec PSU, it ended up costing me $700.

But all of my Coolermaster, FSP, Seasonic, and Corsair systems are fine.

Ah fair enough, how long were these Antec PSUs powering their systems for?  I've had this one for three years, it powered my old rig for around two years or so before I bought the Rosewill one.

Ah fair enough, how long were these Antec PSUs powering their systems for?  I've had this one for three years, it powered my old rig for around two years or so before I bought the Rosewill one.

They all died after about 3.5-4.5 years after I installed them.

had a lame motherboard that barely supported FX 6300 and 2 ram slots which i populated with 2x2GB RAM for each .. then i 'upgraded' to a fx 8350 , better motherboard and 1x8GB ram ...

K

from

http://imgur.com/a/EoYoO#1

to

http://imgur.com/8or1uTQ.jpg , http://i.imgur.com/BqbyirJ.jpg

and now

http://i.imgur.com/Metz9Xb.jpg , http://i.imgur.com/QyFOqF1.jpg , http://i.imgur.com/ScL8DZ7.jpg , http://i.imgur.com/XJHeGbK.jpg , http://i.imgur.com/nvFyAhT.jpg

CPU : i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Cooler : NH-D14 | GPU : Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 [OC] | MB : Asus Z87-Pro | RAM : A-DATA 8GB 1600Mhz CL9 XPG Black | SSD : 850Evo 250GB

They all died after about 3.5-4.5 years after I installed them.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp.

I regret getting the reference 970 over the G1 970. I bought it originally because it was available locally at a good price with price matching at Best Buy, and because the reference design on Nvidia cards is really attractive, but I missed out on the overclocking ability of the G1. That being said it's only a small qualm, the rest of my purchases were made with several hours of research each at minimum, so I made sure I bought what I wanted/needed.

Sorry to be a party pooper but I believe this topic has been created before.

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Sorry to be a party pooper but I believe this topic has been created before.

No biggie, I'm fairly new to the forums so my mistake if it has.

My case. K280 from Coolermaster. :(

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

No biggie, I'm fairly new to the forums so my mistake if it has.

NP I can't even find it so it is probable older than I thought so might as well have a new one :P 

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Radeon HD 6670. Great GPU, however I got the DDR3(2GB) version, which sucks. At stock speeds, it only gets 25FPS in most games(cause of the VRAM bottleneck), and overclocking the RAM from 667Mhz to 800Mhz adds 5 FPS. Its just sad to see, since the VRAM holds it back so much. 10/10 woulnd't buy the DDR3 version ever again, but I would get the GDDR5 version if I had the chance.

What parts have you purchased but regretted buying later?  I know we all think our purchases are right at the time, but what parts have you purchased that you feel were overkill, underwhelming or just the wrong part for the job?  I have a few, here are mine.

Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, don't get me wrong it's a phenomenal case but the window on the side makes me care waaaay too much about aesthetics. Also, it was expensive as balls and it's huge. If I could do over, I'd go with something more quiet and something more minimalist, like the Define R4/R5 or Define S.

Corsair H100i, it's loud as fuck and I haven't even overclocked any chips with it yet. The cooler I was running before (Arctic Freezr 7 Pro) didn't look great, but temperatures were similar.

1000W PSU, I had plans to crossfire two 290x at the time, but due to the 900-series launch I changed my mind. This is way too much, hell even a 500W PSU could power my system.

my fx-6300, should have saved more for an i5 4690k or something like that, and my Seagate barracuda, should have went with WD for just a bit more.

Cooler Master HAF XB. System out grew it after like 4 months of use.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

The motherboard in my other rig... Didn't expect to find a FX 8120 for a decent deal so I didn't try to get a decent board as my original plan was just to run a Athlon ii x4 630.... Yeah I can't push the 8120 at all with that board. Me want 990FX Sabertooth or Crosshair V Formula Z...

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.