AMD Readies Three New GPUs: 'Greenland', 'Baffin' and 'Ellesmere'

HKZeroFive

AMD’s code-named “Arctic Islands” family of products will include three brand-new chips – “Greenland”, “Baffin” and “Ellesmere” – a source with knowledge of AMD plans said. The “Greenland” will be the new flagship offering for performance enthusiasts, whereas the “Baffin” and “Ellesmere” will target other market segments, such as high-end and mainstream. It is unclear whether the “Arctic Islands” family will take in any existing products, but it is possible that AMD may address certain markets with previous-gen products.

“Greenland” will be AMD’s first graphics processing unit based on the all-new micro-architecture, which development began a little more than two years ago. While the architecture is currently known as another iteration of GCN, the new ISA [instruction set architecture] will be so considerably different compared to the existing GCN that it has every right to be called “post-GCN”, the source said. It is likely that the “Greenland” will retain layout of the contemporary AMD Radeon graphics processing units, but there will be significant changes in on the deeper level.

The only official thing currently known about the new architecture, which Mark Papermaster, chief technology officer of AMD, calls the next iteration of GCN, is that it is projected to be two times more energy efficient compared to the current GCN. Essentially, this means means major performance enhancements on the ISA level. Thanks to the fact that the “Greenland” graphics processing unit will be made using either 14nm or 16nm FinFET process technology, expect it to feature considerably larger number of stream processors than “Fiji”.

The “Greenland” graphics processor will rely on the second-generation high-bandwidth memory (HBM), so expect ultra-high-end graphics cards and professional solutions with up to 32GB of DRAM onboard with bandwidth of up to 1TB/s. Consumer-class “Greenland”-based products will likely come with 8GB – 16GB of memory. Due to usage of HBM, expect the “Greenland” chip and upcoming graphics cards on its base to resemble the currently available AMD Radeon R9 Fury-series adapters.

The number of transistors inside the “Greenland” as well as its die size are unknown. Since 14nm/16nm FinFET manufacturing technologies have considerably (up to 90 per cent) higher transistor density than contemporary TSMC’s 28nm fabrication process, it is logical to expect that the new flagship product will feature 15 – 18 billion of elements if it retains around 600mm² die size from the “Fiji”.

Not a lot of information is known about the “Baffin” and the “Ellesmere”. The source stressed that both GPUs are brand-new and will be designed from scratch. Since the “Baffin” and the “Ellesmere” are named after bigger and smaller islands in Canada, it is likely that the former is a mainstream graphics chip with moderate die size, whereas the former is a small entry-level GPU. AMD began to work on “Ellesmere” about a year ago.

Expect AMD to begin talking about its next-generation graphics architecture in the coming months.

It's all speculation at this point, but I'm really hoping that this lineup won't be 'disappointing' like the Fury X (overhyped and failed to deliver against the 980Ti). If Greenland is as good as it sounds, I'm really, really excited.

Sauce: http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/amd-readies-three-new-gpus-for-2016-greenland-baffin-and-ellesmere/

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

It had better not be another Grenada (Hawaii).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Well greenland is icy. So I'm guessing that's a metaphor to tell us the GPU will run cool????

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

16GB VRAM and up to 18 billion transistors?!

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Well greenland is icy. So I'm guessing that's a metaphor to tell us the GPU will run cool????

2x performance per watt compared to Fiji. But really who cares about 5c instead of an extra 10 fps.

Greenland versus Pascal will be very interesting next year. If Ashes of the Singularity is anything to go by, AMD will rock the DX12 scenario.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

AMD's logo IS green, only thing, they don't use it on their GPU division. :P

Spoiler

|| Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 || i5 3570 @3.5GHz || Zalman CNPS10X Optima || 8GB RAM HyperX Fury Blue @ 1600MHz || Thermaltake Berlin 630W || Zalman Z11 || Gainward Phantom GTX 970 || 120GB Kingston V300  (Gift) + 1TB  WD Green

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

Tablet: iPad Mini 2

Greenland will run cool because its green.

Nvidia GPUs only run cool because of that stupid logo being green.

AMD needs to stop being dumb and change its color to green so we can stop bitching about it running at 3000 degrees.

well...

amd_logo.png

As long as AMD's next cards aren't like the 980/980ti which failed to deliver in dx12, everything should be ok. (Just Mirroring OP's statement to show them how dumb it sounds)

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Green = Economical

I'm expecting the card to run at 2 watts.

Because Greenland is cold this should have the next generation "super amazing automatic cooling device" to keep the card at -20 degrees with ICEnhancer 6.9

Green = Economical

Because Greenland is cold this should have the next generation "super amazing automatic cooling device" to keep the card at -20 degrees with ICEnhancer 6.9

Sorry to inform you it will be running at 250-300watts just like pascal and volta.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Green = Economical

It'll come with an AIO LN2 cooler.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

It'll come with an AIO LN2 cooler.

given that the chips will be 14nm and probably as dense as a Nibblonian's turd, I would hope so.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

This is quite exciting news. Fiji was a minor revision of the GCN architecture - it was a Hawaii Tonga tweak with more cores, essentially.

This is a brand new GPU architecture, so this should be very exciting. Plans to buy a Fiji GPU have been thrown straight out the window :) My HD 7950 can last until Greenland/Pascal.

I sincerely hope that they call it "GCN 2.0" though, rather than GCN 1.3. It would definitely help their marketing. And it is a brand new architecture after all.

EDIT: I meant Tonga, not hawaii - also turns on that Fiji was GCN 1.2, just like Tonga, not 1.3 like I had assumed.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

This is quite exciting news. Fiji was a minor revision of the GCN architecture - it was a Tonga tweak with more cores, essentially.

This is a brand new GPU architecture, so this should be very exciting. Plans to buy a Fiji GPU have been thrown straight out the window :) My HD 7950 can last until Greenland/Pascal.

I sincerely hope that they call it "GCN 2.0" though, rather than GCN 1.4. It would definitely help their marketing. And it is a brand new architecture after all.

PMSL

2x performance per watt compared to Fiji. But really who cares about 5c instead of an extra 10 fps.

Greenland versus Pascal will be very interesting next year. If Ashes of the Singularity is anything to go by, AMD will rock the DX12 scenario.

In all honesty, temps and power usage are things you want to advertise with for laptops and doesn't really matter for the desktop. The thing is, Nvidia hyped up their latest gen of cards for their temps and power efficiency and they sold well despite those being things that shouldn't matter for desktop users. AMD's latest cards perform better than Nvidia's offerings except for the 980 Ti, but Nvidia is still outdoing AMD in sales.

In all honesty, temps and power usage are things you want to advertise with for laptops and doesn't really matter for the desktop. The thing is, Nvidia hyped up their latest gen of cards for their temps and power efficiency and they sold well despite those being things that shouldn't matter for desktop users. AMD's latest cards perform better than Nvidia's offerings except for the 980 Ti, but Nvidia is still outdoing AMD in sales.

You're right, they shouldn't matter - but for some weird reason, people got up in arms about 10-50 watts difference in power consumption when Maxwell was released. All of the sudden, temps and power efficiency are now the most important damn thing in enthusiast GPU builds.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Well, if they market well, and the cards are decent, I'm all for it. 

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

You're right, they shouldn't matter - but for some weird reason, people got up in arms about 10-50 watts difference in power consumption when Maxwell was released. All of the sudden, temps and power efficiency are now the most important damn thing in enthusiast GPU builds.

im al lfor efficiency in terms of:

"Ok our top tier GPU is 300 Watts, so make the next one 300 watts but 30% more powerful" and so on and so forth. Like we have pretty much estabilished already that a 300 watt TDP is about the limit for both heat and power that anyone wants for a single chip, so lets just hold it there and increase efficiency so we can cram more into the chips at that power level. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Electricity costs money that could be spent on other things, such as parts for your rig.

PMSL

Electricity costs money that could be spent on other things, such as parts for your rig.

LOL. Care to show us some of your math?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

lol. if a couple dollars per month is enough to sway you, then a gaming PC is probably not in your budget to begin with. (I'm exaggerating. its more like pennies per month difference)