Microsoft in secret Windows 10 patch redo

jos

Am I the only one that's had Windows 10 Pro, upgraded from 8.1 for three weeks and had zero problems?

Same boat haven't really had an issue with 10 Pro yet.

Hey, remember when people were defending Microsoft, claiming that patches wouldn't cause issues because they would be tested by insiders first? What a load of horse shit that was, wasn't it?

I hope they change it soon. Personally I am getting really sick and tired of my PC rebooting all the time and would really like to have the ability to reboot whenever I want back.

I can choose what time I want to reboot at after updating... forced updates are still kinda shitty, though. I was hoping that doing this would force them to improve their update QC, but evidently that has not happened. For shame, MS. For shame.

you know what i find this funny since i have the basic win10 version since i upgraded from basic win8.1 and i can disable updates.. its not as easy as with windows 7 or 8 or well any other windows but you can do it just need to use powershell and have the update module installed and you can disable updates from it.. i had to disable to touchpad update win10 kept installing on my g750 laptop cuase it was borked to hell and didnt work as well as the actual win10 touchpad driver from elantech did... and it hasnt tryed to install it since.. but all my mouse options do reset when i restart which is anoying as fuck >.<

So I was playing csgo last night and kept getting crazy ping spikes when playing. This never happens to me at all. I just installed windows 10 FYI, and after a match was over my computer locked up. I restarted the pc and when powered back on it was installing an update. Is this some windows 10 BS?

Yes that might have been an automatic update. It shouldn't do it while you use the computer though. If you go into the update settings it will tell you when it will restart. It will try and pick a time when you usually don't use the computer, but maybe it hadn't had time to analyze when you use your computer yet.

You can also some (but very limited) settings regarding update. For example you can make it so that it will always ask you when you want the computer to restart when it finds a new update.

Settings -> Update & security -> Windows Update -> Advanced options.

No matter the OS (XP and up) that won't/hasn't change.

But what you can do if you have Windows 10 Pro, is that you can enable "Differ Updates", which will delay the update you receive up to 'several months'.

The idea I am proposing is that you use this feature to manually do updates. So that you do them say, once a week, when you are free

Please bear in mind that the "Differ Updates" option does not block all updates. Security ones will still be installed automatically regardless of your settings.

I can choose what time I want to reboot at after updating... forced updates are still kinda shitty, though. I was hoping that doing this would force them to improve their update QC, but evidently that has not happened. For shame, MS. For shame.

Yes I can choose too, as you can see in the screenshot. I can only choose between now and 6 days forward though. So I have to constantly go into the settings and extend the time if I want my computer to be on for more than a week. If I forget for 6 days then it will restart.

Yes I can choose too, as you can see in the screenshot. I can only choose between now and 6 days forward though. So I have to constantly go into the settings and extend the time if I want my computer to be on for more than a week. If I forget for 6 days then it will restart.

Ah, wasn't aware of that. Probably because I don't tend to leave my PC on for a week, but whatever. The more you know.

Am I the only one that's had Windows 10 Pro, upgraded from 8.1 for three weeks and had zero problems?

Nope...same here, 0 issues.

No sudden restarts....it prompts me when it wants...and I usually save my things and restart right away (in order to avoid sudden restarts when Win thinks I'm not at my PC).

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

Nope...same here, 0 issues.

No sudden restarts....it prompts me when it wants...and I usually save my things and restart right away (in order to avoid sudden restarts when Win thinks I'm not at my PC).

this /\

0 problems and im on Windows 10 home

It's easy- just install Win 7 and stop weeping... 

If they force the update on Win7 with the same problems (telemetry etc etc), no Windows OS will be safe.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Been using Windows 10 Pro x64 since release date without any problems, but I still think that forced updates need to go. It was inevitable that something would go wrong, and this just proves the point.

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W

Been using Windows 10 Pro x64 since release date without any problems, but I still think that forced updates need to go. It was inevitable that something would go wrong, and this just proves the point.

only problem is if no forced updates, MOST people will never update.

Instead of removing this, they should FIX it.

that would be better. 

that would be better. 

To fix something every time it breaks is not a long-term solution. If you just sweep it under the rug with a quick fix, it's only a matter of time before the next botched update is released.

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W

To fix something every time it breaks is not a long-term solution. If you just sweep it under the rug with a quick fix, it's only a matter of time before the next botched update is released.

i said fix, not sweep.

They have insiders they should use them...

that would be better. 

I call bullshit on that (the majoirty of people turning update completely off if you give them the option). I think most people will leave the settings on default, which should be to automatically update. But let's say it's true that most people will, doesn't that just further prove the point that they should implement it again? It is mind blowing that people actually argue that a feature is too popular and should therefore be removed. If the majority of people want to turn updates off then why remove that option? Removing a feature because people like it and use it doesn't make any sense.

Just add the old settings back under the advanced options tab.

I'm just sitting here with my windows 7 and enjoying the show. *grabs popcorn*

I'll join you in a few hours if I decide to go back to win 7, though you can keep the popcorn.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Are only insiders getting this update ? If so why people even insiders if they cannot handle issues at all, people forgetting being insider means being a beta tester ?

Nope, non-insiders are getting it too.

What's sad is that this is the second time people are getting stuck in endless reboots thanks to a Windows 10 update. First it happened on August 5th, then Microsoft tried to fix the update and released a new one on the 12th, which had the same issue.

The update my computer is trying to install right now is Microsoft's third attempt at the same patch.

It's only been out for 3 weeks and the stupid automatic updates has already caused issues with broken updates being forcefully installed twice.

I might have found a solution for those who are interested. I just found it so I am not sure if it actually works or has any drawbacks though, so be warned.

1) Run gpedit.msc

2) Go to -> Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update

3) Double click "Configure Automatic Updates"

4) Enable the policy and change the setting to "3 - Auto download and notify for install".

5) Go to settings -> Check for updates

6) Open advanced options and you will see that the setting is now locked to "Notify to install".

Thanks How-To Geek.

Windows 10 issues are slowly starting to wear on me. I understand the OS is new and I do genuinely enjoy how it looks. Problem is, for the past couple of days I've been getting failed updates and I'm not the only one with this issue. Some unfortunate users are stuck in an endless loop of reboots! It gets even worst for home users because they are forced to install updates like guinea pigs and unfortunately not every MS update is a good one.

As the old saying goes "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Since I'm on Windows 10 Pro, I stopped updates via disabling the service. Until MS gets this sorted out, I'm not re-enabling it. Already had a scare more than one time of at least 4 reboots with a failed update install. 

The main source seems to have as little information as possible about anything and seems to be speculation...not that I blame them, personally I have had no issues with Windows 10, just made a master iso without any issue so I could recover if necessary, I like it quite a bit. So what we support our overlords.

post-253334-0-59804700-1439851477.jpg

Win 8.1 is cancer too D: .

Win 8.1 is amazing with classic start.. 

I'm quite confused by all the people saying their PC is restarting all the time. My main pc is running 10 and has only restarted without warning once (while I was installing a program) and since I enabled notify to install it has not been an issue at all. This PC is always on so its not like they are getting installed when I shut it down for the night. Quite odd.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

Hey, remember when people were defending Microsoft, claiming that patches wouldn't cause issues because they would be tested by insiders first? What a load of horse shit that was, wasn't it?

I hope they change it soon. Personally I am getting really sick and tired of my PC rebooting all the time and would really like to have the ability to reboot whenever I want back.

All the time? That is some horseshit. I've rebooted my computer about 4 times since windows 10 was released.

I updated day 1, i have KB3081438 installed, perfectly fine.....calm down little bit, all the sites say "report says" unless you're actually facing this problem stop reporting it as "source say" based on the 10% of the people who face the problem 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I updated day 1, i have KB3081438 installed, perfectly fine.....calm down little bit, all the sites say "report says" unless you're actually facing this problem stop reporting it as "source say" based on the 10% of the people who face the problem 

If 10% of the people face the problem, that's still 5 million users.  Even if it's 1%, it's still way too much.

If 10% of the people face the problem, that's still 5 million users.  Even if it's 1%, it's still way too much.

not sayings its not a problem at all, but also not encouraging the conspirators at the same time, "if it hasn't happened to you, stop shouting about it" is what i'm saying here, all the comments on this thread are people saying "i told you so" an  "going back to win 7" but none of them actually are facing any issues. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I'm sitting on Windows 10 not giving a shit tbh

P.S I meant about the Windows 10 problems, not you being on Windows 7

P much me.

I don't particuarily care. I didn't use the free upgrade anyways. Went and bought a pro retail key.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Windows10 is simply crap.

i dont have any better words for it atm realy.

They gave it a couple of very nice feutures, but on the other hand,

with all the build in spying crap, they also make it very awfull to use.

And even if you think, you can simply disable it, wenn moving a simple switch?

well then you are in bad luck, because even wenn disabled, the Microsoft servers still collect all the data, since the Microsoft servers still continue requesting it.

Also the forced updates which the user does not have any control over anymore...

And forced driver updates, which makes Windows10 just crap out?

WTF are they thinking?

I realy dont understand, who on Earth would wanne use this garbage.