Microsoft in secret Windows 10 patch redo

jos

Am I the only one not getting these "forced updates" people are talking about?? My pc hasn't restarted to do updates once, or even checked for updates without me telling it to (windows10).

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

no issues here aswell...win 10 home user... no sudden restarts...not getting forced updates..i dont know what are people talking about here... 

AMD Rig - (Upgraded): FX 8320 @ 4.8 Ghz, Corsair H100i GTX, ROG Crosshair V Formula, Ghz, 16 GB 1866 Mhz Ram, Msi R9 280x Gaming 3G @ 1150 Mhz, Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB, Win 10 Home

(My first Intel + Nvidia experience  - recently bought ) : MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G ( i7 6820HK, 16 GB RAM, 980M SLI, GSync, 1080p , 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD... FeelsGoodMan

It's easy- just install Win 7 and stop weeping... 

Asinine comment. Windows 10 is altogether a much better OS than 7. Keeping on a dead and soon to be unsupported OS because of a few issues, rather than complaining about the issues in the hope they can get fixed is stupid.

There needs to be an option to not install certain updates. I must be honest, when I used Nvidia's drivers as an example of why I was expecting it to take more than two weeks for this to stop being hypothetical.

Hey, remember when people were defending Microsoft, claiming that patches wouldn't cause issues because they would be tested by insiders first? What a load of horse shit that was, wasn't it?

I hope they change it soon. Personally I am getting really sick and tired of my PC rebooting all the time and would really like to have the ability to reboot whenever I want back.

I don't understand the level of fanboyism on this forum surrounding Windows. There are aspects of Windows 10 that are awful, and being forced to install updates that may well brick your PC is definitely among the most severe, yet people have taken it as their Sacred Duty to not hear a bad word against Windows. It makes no sense to me.

went back to 8.1 after a week
thank god i backed up 8.1 with acronis

CPU: i5-4690 | CoolerCRYORIG H7 |GPU: PowerColor TurboDuo R9 280X OC RAM: G.skill RipjawsX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 CL9Motherboard: ASUS B85M-E | SSD: ADATA XPG SX900 128GB |HDD: Western Digital Caviar BLUE 1TBCase: Cooler Master K281PSU: SeaSonic ECO 600W | Monitor: Samsung S24D390HL 24 Inch PLS

Asinine comment. Windows 10 is altogether a much better OS than 7. Keeping on a dead and soon to be unsupported OS because of a few issues, rather than complaining about the issues in the hope they can get fixed is stupid.

There needs to be an option to not install certain updates. I must be honest, when I used Nvidia's drivers as an example of why I was expecting it to take more than two weeks for this to stop being hypothetical.

Please, don't forget that for many people here English is NOT maternal and don't use words like "asinine"  ;)

About that 7 is dead and soon unsupported OS- will see soon (in next 18 months) who is dead... Only proven dead (in fact- dead on arrival) OS now is 8.1 and if MS don't give more freedom to users 10 will follow it... 

PS: Is there info about how many people after upgrade to 10 went back to previous OS? 

English is not my maternal language, so don't mind my mistakes... 

Please, don't forget that for many people here English is NOT maternal and don't use words like "asinine"  ;)

About that 7 is dead and soon unsupported OS- will see soon (in next 18 months) who is dead... Only proven dead (in fact- dead on arrival) OS now is 8.1 and if MS don't give more freedom to users 10 will follow it... 

PS: Is there info about how many people after upgrade to 10 went back to previous OS? 

Those people can use Google and in the process expand their vocabulary rather than expect people to dumb down their language.

Windows 8.1 is going to be supported longer than Windows 7 on account of it being a more recent OS. It's extremely silly to expect Windows 10 to die two weeks after release.

Those people can use Google and in the process expand their vocabulary rather than expect people to dumb down their language.

Windows 8.1 is going to be supported longer than Windows 7 on account of it being a more recent OS. It's extremely silly to expect Windows 10 to die two weeks after release.

Arguing with someone who can't read between lines is worthless... When you grow up more than current 3 brain cells that you have just call me- I'll explain you what is the difference between "dead OS" (like 8.1) and "not supported anymore OS"... Unfortunately (for you- I don't give a fu*k) your 3 brain cells will die in loneliness...

English is not my maternal language, so don't mind my mistakes... 

Arguing with someone who can't read between lines is worthless... When you grow up more than current 3 brain cells that you have just call me- I'll explain you what is the difference between "dead OS" (like 8.1) and "not supported anymore OS"... Unfortunately (for you- I don't give a fu*k) your 3 brain cells will die in loneliness...

I swear I seem to attract all the crazies with an axe to grind O.o Go home, get therapy. Come back when you can discuss an OS without spluttering insults xD

Windows 8.1 wasn't even that bad. All it needed start menu functionality and apps all to be on the one screen without constantly having to shift interfaces because both only offered some of the functionality. Windows 10 has gone most (but not quite all) of the way to alleviating this.

All the time? That is some horseshit. I've rebooted my computer about 4 times since windows 10 was released.

Considering how I am used to having my computer on for months, several reboots in a little over 2 weeks is a lot.

Am I the only one not getting these "forced updates" people are talking about?? My pc hasn't restarted to do updates once, or even checked for updates without me telling it to (windows10).

no issues here aswell...win 10 home user... no sudden restarts...not getting forced updates..i dont know what are people talking about here... 

If you aren't getting updates automatically then your install is either broken, you have enabled a metered connection or you have disabled it with some third party tool. Those are the only 3 reasons why you might not be getting updates. Either that or you have been getting them but just haven't noticed.

Considering how I am used to having my computer on for months, several reboots in a little over 2 weeks is a lot.

If you aren't getting updates automatically then your install is either broken, you have enabled a metered connection or you have disabled it with some third party tool. Those are the only 3 reasons why you might not be getting updates. Either that or you have been getting them but just haven't noticed.

I don't have them disabled via third party tool, and I leave my pc on 24/7 with things running, so unless it's restarting and opening up everything I had open when it restarted then it's definitely not updating.

Didn't windows 10 pro not force updates? I remember reading a thread on here saying windows 10 home was the only one with forced updates.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I don't have them disabled via third party tool, and I leave my pc on 24/7 with things running, so unless it's restarting and opening up everything I had open when it restarted then it's definitely not updating.

Didn't windows 10 pro not force updates? I remember reading a thread on here saying windows 10 home was the only one with forced updates.

Nope, Pro has it as well. if you go into the advanced options in Pro you can block some updates (feature updates, not security updates) for a limited time but that's the only difference between Home and Pro.

If you're not getting any updates at all then something is wrong. If you haven't had to restart then you've probably not noticed it, or you got Windows 10 after the updates got pushed out, or maybe your computer is waiting to be restarted right now.

You can check it out in the settings app under "Update & security".

My computer wants to be restarted right now and you should have gotten that update. Right now it's update KB3081438 but there have been a few other ones who has required restarts too.

i can install updates manually... somehow...i go to settings menu... then go to windows update... and then i select check for updates button... if updates are avalaible i install them and after installation it asks me when do i want to restart my pc.... thats it ....it just doesnt restart randomly on its own..

AMD Rig - (Upgraded): FX 8320 @ 4.8 Ghz, Corsair H100i GTX, ROG Crosshair V Formula, Ghz, 16 GB 1866 Mhz Ram, Msi R9 280x Gaming 3G @ 1150 Mhz, Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB, Win 10 Home

(My first Intel + Nvidia experience  - recently bought ) : MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G ( i7 6820HK, 16 GB RAM, 980M SLI, GSync, 1080p , 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD... FeelsGoodMan

Nope, Pro has it as well. if you go into the advanced options in Pro you can block some updates (feature updates, not security updates) for a limited time but that's the only difference between Home and Pro.

If you're not getting any updates at all then something is wrong. If you haven't had to restart then you've probably not noticed it, or you got Windows 10 after the updates got pushed out, or maybe your computer is waiting to be restarted right now.

You can check it out in the settings app under "Update & security".

My computer wants to be restarted right now and you should have gotten that update. Right now it's update KB3081438 but there have been a few other ones who has required restarts too.

There hasn't been that many updates that required a restart. Most of them are security updates, which just updates on the background.

Seems to be quite a mixed bag of experiences with windows 10. For me and many others, win 10 is running flawlessly since the upgrade. For others, they seem to have issues (or just don't like change), call it crap and have reverted back to 7/8.1. 

As for the multiple reboots with the updates; you all do know/realize you can turn that off and have it notify you when a restart is necessary... ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

i can install updates manually... somehow...i go to settings menu... then go to windows update... and then i select check for updates button... if updates are avalaible i install them and after installation it asks me when do i want to restart my pc.... thats it ....it just doesnt restart randomly on its own..

Nobody is saying you can't check for updates manually. The problem a bunch of users and I have is that it will automatically download and install updates no matter what you do. There isn't a problem if you want to get updates installed on your computer. The issue is when there is an update you don't want installed.

And yes it will restart on its own. If you stop installing updates and restarting manually, just let your computer sit on its own, then it will restart by itself without you telling it to do so.

There hasn't been that many updates that required a restart. Most of them are security updates, which just updates on the background.

Well it's been like 3-4 updates that requires restarts, and the OS has only been out for 3 weeks. If the people I was responding to hasn't gotten any of those updates then something is wrong with their Windows install, because they aren't getting updates as intended.

On a side note, security updates can require restarts as well.

As for the multiple reboots with the updates; you all do know/realize you can turn that off and have it notify you when a restart is necessary... ;)

That's true, but if you ignore the notification then it will restart itself. You can't just tell it "fuck off. I want to restart manually when I feel like it.".

That's true, but if you ignore the notification then it will restart itself. You can't just tell it "fuck off. I want to restart manually when I feel like it.".

Just double checked. While you can't stop it from rebooting indefinitely, you can schedule a time when you want it to reboot (3am for example). If you have a program running or you're doing something that cannot be interrupted, just reschedule it for a time/day when it's more convenient. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Just double checked. While you can't stop it from rebooting indefinitely, you can schedule a time when you want it to reboot (3am for example). If you have a program running or you're doing something that cannot be interrupted, just reschedule it for a time/day when it's more convenient. 

Yes that is correct. And for people like me who wants/needs to have their computers on 24/7 it is a pain in the ass.

For the time being I'll just continue to push the date forward (you can postpone it 6 days forward from the current date) but I would like a "fuck off" option.

i wouldnt be surprised if they do reneg which i will be saddened by. if they do reenable it please hide in in policy editor or something.

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Am I the only one that's had Windows 10 Pro, upgraded from 8.1 for three weeks and had zero problems?

No, you're probably the only one who submitted to ALL Microsoft's TOS agreements and you are being rewarded for being a good, obedient user.

:P

Regarding Windows 7 eventually not being supported any longer, I have this to say:  Who cares?

Windows 7 is a fantastic, mature product and it's Ghosted with all the so-called patches and improvements.  I actually have turned off "automatic updates" and am not the least bit concerned if it gets "continued support" or not.

I have Avast AV and Premium Malwarebytes and, like I already said, Ghost (or Acronis), so I'm not the least bit worried about anything.  And if anyone claims to be a geek and does not have those 3 things I just mentioned, then you are not too smart.  And if you do have them, then you can be like me - happy & worry free.

Microsoft should just enforce mandatory updates only for critical and important security updates, and also automatically roll back these updates if the computer is unable to boot after updating, or allow a 14-day window for users to uninstall these updates if they run into issues. If this happens, Windows Update should then ask the user to send diagnostic data to Microsoft to help them fix the problem, as well as notifying them when a fix is available for them to install. For optional and hardware driver updates, these must remain entirely optional, and the user can be notified about them after their computer is done installing security updates and, while asking when they want to reboot their computer, gives them the option to also install or hide these optional updates.

To people saying Windows 7 will die, it's supported until 2020.

I don't know which of W7 or W10 will have the biggest market share by the end of 2016. Given the update is almost 'automatic', I guess some people will be updated to Windows 10 even if they didn't want to and they will be too lazy to switch back.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?