Windows 10 "Walks The Plank"

Si3Rra_7

Seems needlessly paranoid to me. Companies like Google and Facebook having been mining private information for years, it's hardly breaking news. I'm all for the right to privacy but unless you're doing super illegal "dark web" type shit, nobody is going to take a second glance. It's not like some dude is sitting in a cubicle somewhere sifting through your files, it's just computers using the data that they've collected to send more relevant ads. And I, for one, could not care less if a bunch of ones and zeros finds out what kind of freaky shit I'm into.

You can disable most of that "spying" crap anyway. Whatever is left afterwards, well that's what regedit is for. I still fully intend to upgrade to Windows 10 in a few months when all the bugs have been sorted out. A little nefarious behaviour on Microsoft's part is worth it (in my opinion) for overall better performance.

“Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?”

I just block every known Microsoft server in my router. and disable it when I want to install an update. and if they still manage to get information from me, what are they gonna do with it? share my browser history with my mom? ofcourse not.

I have a few audio and video issues with windows 10 if things dont improve in a month time I'll look at switching back

Its all about those volumetric clouds

more paranoid shut ins i see :) stop worrying so much and enjoy ur life

Case:- 4U Rack Mount Case | Cooler:- Antec Kuhler H600 | CPU:- Intel i5 4690K @ 4.50GHz GPU:- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition @ 1449MHz | Motherboard:- MSI Z97S SLI Krait | PSU:- XFX XTR 650W Gold | RAM:- HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2) | Storage:- Kingston V300 120GB | Storage 2:- Seagate FireCuda 1TB | Build Log |

I guess people have forgotten about the good then bad then good then bad OS theory that was popular when win 8 came out. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

nice to know only 17% of people are paranoid idiots 

Case:- 4U Rack Mount Case | Cooler:- Antec Kuhler H600 | CPU:- Intel i5 4690K @ 4.50GHz GPU:- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition @ 1449MHz | Motherboard:- MSI Z97S SLI Krait | PSU:- XFX XTR 650W Gold | RAM:- HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2) | Storage:- Kingston V300 120GB | Storage 2:- Seagate FireCuda 1TB | Build Log |

I like windows 10 well enough that I don't have any issues using it regardless. Cortana can log my keys any day, I really hope they integrate her more so I can just yell at her to lock my computer or shut it down.

Besides, I haven't pirated anything in years because after 1 or 2 years most $60 games end up being $20 or less when off sale and $5-$10 on sale. If it's a release thats very highly rated I might pick it up for its full price but being picky about what I buy has really helped the budget for gaming.

I really like that description. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

To me, there is no difference than Chrome and Google services (which are entranced) in Android. Same behavior, same tracking.

I trust Microsoft, Google, Amazon, with my personal information. To me, they have proven themselves capable of protecting it, and use no information to really identify a person. Just log people demographic, and interest, which is sold for big bucks to market research analysis and companies personal market research for product marketing and knowing people interest in general to have a better idea if a product they work on will work or fail.

To me, if you say "I am not happy with Windows 10 privacy policy", then to not be a hypocrite, you need to stop using Chrome, Google services, and your Android phone (basically, as any other app you use has similar spying, especially the free ones).

i'm just using Linux or OS X right now. the only reason i have windows installed is for steam in-home streaming.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Windows 10 was very stable on most of the devices I've installed it on (and does come with most welcomed features). Sure there were some updates that failed to install (the first rollup actually) and the store apps is in the same "mess" as it was with windows 8, but it's more usable from first day than either 7 or 8 were.

There is no rush to upgrade to it and keeping it off until next spring will probably be a better ideea.

I'm pretty sure we won't see DirectX 12 exclusives or any world changing app that makes extensive use of Windows 10 features until then (which isn't good business for Microsoft but it takes time for people to adapt to newer stuff once they are in the open).

The immaturity plaguing this forum is astounding.

HAF 912  •  i5-2500k  •  16GB DDR3  •  980Ti  •  2x 480GB Intel 730  •  3x Dell U2715H 

You will have to eventually update. In my situation I did not want Windows 8 and I live Windows 7 but had to update.

Or you could go to Linux....

Use it since the Technical Preview and I have no issue with the RTM/Release Build.

Windows 95-XP Masterrace!!!

Bulgarian, WoT nick- ivelinv8, War Thunder- BEST_NOOB_BG, GAMING PC: FX-4170; R9 280X TOXIC; 16 GB RAM; Fortron Raider 750W; Raidmax Helios case; WD Green 1TB. 50Mb/s + 50% bonus

Tried it, but going back to a W7/Ubuntu dual boot.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

Wait, how do you know this? Microsoft has gone to court to protect peoples data according to the law. If there was a warrant to give up data that is located in the USA then they may have to comply. Other then that, no. They aren't working with the NSA or CIA. NSA has wrongly forcefully take our data but MS isn't handing it over just because.

Of course Microsoft only has to give it to the NSA if they have a warrant but the thing is how they obtain the warrant it isn't hard for them to do that. 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Of course Microsoft only has to give it to the NSA if they have a warrant but the thing is how they obtain the warrant it isn't hard for them to do that. 

And here is the actual information on the topic.

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/microsoft/microsoft-rejected-record-number-of-government-data-requests-in-2014/

Basically, 97% of the data that is given to law enforcement agencies are only “non-content” data, such as Microsoft users’ names, email handles, physical address or Internet Protocol address.

Microsoft and others like google are trying to make sure that their users know what is being shared with intelligence agencies. They have even sued US government to allow them to share information of what is being asked of them to be handed over.

It's not perfect, yes they give information, and we should yell at government agencies like NSA. We at least know Microsoft is active in making sure that request are legal and tries to share to us users what is being handed over.

This was also posted last year. http://blogs.microsoft.com/on-the-issues/2014/09/26/microsoft-updates-reports-government-access-data-calls-additional-reforms/

-snip-

It's much easier to hate on a company and not do any research. 

That is the idea behind the internet. And I see a lot of people saying that they do research things for themselves, but there's no way they do.

And here is the actual information on the topic.

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/microsoft/microsoft-rejected-record-number-of-government-data-requests-in-2014/

Basically, 97% of the data that is given to law enforcement agencies are only “non-content” data, such as Microsoft users’ names, email handles, physical address or Internet Protocol address.

Microsoft and others like google are trying to make sure that their users know what is being shared with intelligence agencies. They have even sued US government to allow them to share information of what is being asked of them to be handed over.

It's not perfect, yes they give information, and we should yell at government agencies like NSA. We at least know Microsoft is active in making sure that request are legal and tries to share to us users what is being handed over.

This was also posted last year. http://blogs.microsoft.com/on-the-issues/2014/09/26/microsoft-updates-reports-government-access-data-calls-additional-reforms/

It's much easier to hate on a company and not do any research. 

That is the idea behind the internet. And I see a lot of people saying that they do research things for themselves, but there's no way they do.

@TheCMan Yeah I saw that blog post I also read a couple other releases by them and then this article that rated companies by what they do to protect customers/users privacy... MS, Google and Apple did very well. However the problem comes from the fact that you can't disable (or at least easily) those elements that collect data (which might be keyloggers)

Of course MS claims to use the data to improve like Cortana and a couple of other MS Services but I don't want Cortana nor MS Edge actually the only reason I'd be using Windows is because of Adobe and Game developers.

@Stuff_ not trying to hate on MS but eh...

@TheCMan Yeah I saw that blog post I also read a couple other releases by them and then this article that rated companies by what they do to protect customers/users privacy... MS, Google and Apple did very well. However the problem comes from the fact that you can't disable (or at least easily) those elements that collect data (which might be keyloggers)

Of course MS claims to use the data to improve like Cortana and a couple of other MS Services but I don't want Cortana nor MS Edge actually the only reason I'd be using Windows is because of Adobe and Game developers.

Not saying you're hating on them. But in general, it's easier to allow someone else to tell us their misguided facts, and for us to accept it.

It takes less time, and much less effort.

I see it all day long. Especially on Facebook. People reposting things as if they are true, when less than 3 minutes of searching disproves it.

Thing is, Microsoft needs information for how their product is being used so that they can improve their product. A lot of the stuff is simply just information and not tied to any person. That info has nothing on security or privacy issues. The privacy issues that are coming up in windows 10 have toggles to turn off or you have to opt in. They are not sharing your location, photos, or things like that though by default. Sure, Microsoft does scan your emails and such but only to protect the user. Yes, one issue that is getting larger is giving information to the government. So the fear is that the more info a company like Microsoft or Google gathers the more potential info government knows about you. What if one day Government decides to discriminate on a very poor basis(laws discriminate in the first place. They discriminate against thieves) and start jailing non threatening people based on the information they collect? That is why we have to be concerned and why we need to encourage companies like Microsoft to help us push for laws that protect us.

Not saying you're hating on them. But in general, it's easier to allow someone else to tell us their misguided facts, and for us to accept it.

It takes less time, and much less effort.

I see it all day long. Especially on Facebook. People reposting things as if they are true, when less than 3 minutes of searching disproves it.

Ah true...

Thing is, Microsoft needs information for how their product is being used so that they can improve their product. A lot of the stuff is simply just information and not tied to any person. That info has nothing on security or privacy issues. The privacy issues that are coming up in windows 10 have toggles to turn off or you have to opt in. They are not sharing your location, photos, or things like that though by default. Sure, Microsoft does scan your emails and such but only to protect the user. Yes, one issue that is getting larger is giving information to the government. So the fear is that the more info a company like Microsoft or Google gathers the more potential info government knows about you. What if one day Government decides to discriminate on a very poor basis(laws discriminate in the first place. They discriminate against thieves) and start jailing non threatening people based on the information they collect? That is why we have to be concerned and why we need to encourage companies like Microsoft to help us push for laws that protect us.

Of course they're not doing that however, at least in the Home edition of W10 there isn't an easy way to opt out of it. Which is why Linux and (afaik) OS X seem better.

Ah true...

Of course they're not doing that however, at least in the Home edition of W10 there isn't an easy way to opt out of it. Which is why Linux and (afaik) OS X seem better.

OSX has spotlight which searches the web. Apple does collect certain data to. Windows 10 is like IOS or windows phone with being connected and sharing information with its makers (apple or microsoft). I'm guessing you use a smartphone.

OSX has spotlight which searches the web. Apple does collect certain data to. Windows 10 is like IOS or windows phone with being connected and sharing information with its makers (apple or microsoft). I'm guessing you use a smartphone.

Android but I'm able to disable quite a bit and that's the issue with Windows 10 home is that you have to some work arounds. (Google Now is really the only problem. Oh and I guess it records location too xD)