FCC to Regulate online video streaming

jos

Federal Communications Commission is considering if it should begin to regulate online video services, like they do cable companies. the FCC is expected to vote on a proposal that would put some streaming video firms into the same regulatory bucket as multichannel video programming distributors, or cable and satellite TV firms, such as Comcast, Dish Network and Cox. The idea, according to FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler, is to help online video providers become stronger competitors to cable and satellite firms by making it easier to obtain valuable TV programming for the Web. Under the plan, streaming companies would be able to use the FCC's program access rules to ensure TV networks offer the licensing of their programs. That would allow Apple, for instance, to bring ABC, NBC and Comedy Central to the bargaining table for their programs.

lobbyists for Apple, Microsoft, and Amazon met with several senior FCC officials to express their concerns with the plan. Their business plans for the future may dramatically change.

Most TV networks don't like the plan either. They want to be able to reject deals with streaming providers at their whim. And they want to be able to negotiate privately for distribution contracts without the watchful eye of the FCC. Last week, AMC president of distribution Bob Broussard and other executives met with top aides to the FCC chairman and said the new rules would hurt their bottom line and brand.

Execs from Discovery and broadcast networks, such as ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox, have also met with FCC officials in recent weeks to protest the plan.

For programmers, streaming has become a new and lucrative line of revenue. What they don't want is for any of those lines of revenues to go away or merge.

It is a good thing... hope the control wont go further than allowing network programs on stream services.. Now i guess more reasons to cut cable..

Source:https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2015/07/30/this-idea-by-the-fcc-is-terrifying-apple-amazon-and-microsoft/?tid=sm_tw

Now if only they would actually do something about complaints against ISP's throttling said video services. I reported my ISP a few weeks ago, head nothing back from either the ISP or the FCC (in fact it's gotten worse since I reported them).

Still, go FCC, go! Ruin their little monopoly playhouse.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I have DiSH network where I live. I have to say, their prices are not too nice, but the service and billing is consistent and reliable. Picture quality is as good as it gets for satellite, and a helluva lot of channels are in HD. (Granted, it's only 720p / 1080i, but still.) We've got 250 Channels, and I actively watch about fifteen. However, upon signing up, we had Cinemax and whatnot free for a year. It was actually free, and we were able to cut it before our bill was charged full for it. Now we get monthly previews of channels, including HBO. All for free. 

I'm not an AdBot run by DiSH, but in a time where Cable / Satellite is being dropped left and right, I can say firsthand that what's out there isn't horrible. We're paying $85 a month for 250 channel,s about 70% of which are in HD, as well as free previews, and programming across four different rooms. Plus DVR, which we can record stuff onto. It's a 1TB DVR box, so it can hold about 500-600 programs, roughly. (Movies, in this case.)

i dont own a television.

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

I was thinking this was like twitch streaming, i would have thought they would have done this by now.

I have DiSH network where I live. I have to say, their prices are not too nice, but the service and billing is consistent and reliable. Picture quality is as good as it gets for satellite, and a helluva lot of channels are in HD. (Granted, it's only 720p / 1080i, but still.) We've got 250 Channels, and I actively watch about fifteen. However, upon signing up, we had Cinemax and whatnot free for a year. It was actually free, and we were able to cut it before our bill was charged full for it. Now we get monthly previews of channels, including HBO. All for free. 

I'm not an AdBot run by DiSH, but in a time where Cable / Satellite is being dropped left and right, I can say firsthand that what's out there isn't horrible. We're paying $85 a month for 250 channel,s about 70% of which are in HD, as well as free previews, and programming across four different rooms. Plus DVR, which we can record stuff onto. It's a 1TB DVR box, so it can hold about 500-600 programs, roughly. (Movies, in this case.)

The question is, how many of those 250 channels do you actually watch? I don't know exactly how many channels we get with DirecTV, but I know we don't watch at least 75% of them.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

We're paying $85 a month for 250 channel,s about 70% of which are in HD,

:blink: That`s crazy.

Here you get only 130 channels (~50% in HD), but just for 3$/month. ( and my net is 100/100Mbps up/down for 14$ with no traffic limits.) And this is in my small town with under 20 000 people. In our capital you can get something around triple that for half the money. :lol:

It`s а good thing that I don`t live in USA.

ASRock Z97 PRO 4| i7-4790К@4600MHz/1.26V| Noctua NH-D14| 16GB ADATA@1800Mhz| Gigabyte GTX 660 WF OC| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB; Samsung 860 Pro 256GB; Samsung 860 EVO 500GB| Seasonic SS-650KM3 Gold| CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate| Mionix Naos 7000|

i dont use it i only have it because its the only way to get decent internet is with a bundle

Depends on your country

Here in my country you only have three options

-Get Cable that's great but overpriced

-Get Cable that's bad and still fairly overpriced

-Or steal your neighbors television

Now if only they would actually do something about complaints against ISP's throttling said video services. I reported my ISP a few weeks ago, head nothing back from either the ISP or the FCC (in fact it's gotten worse since I reported them).

Still, go FCC, go! Ruin their little monopoly playhouse.

*cough* @Darkman with everything *cough*

This is great though. If only ATT would stop making my grandma's connection absolute dog shit. She pays for 3/1 and gets .5/.5 most of the time.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I have DirecTV(which might change if AT&T fucks it up), but I don't watch it, my dad and mom does. My dad and I are both tech heads so we know what is going on, so we both want to cut the cable, but my mom needs her shows -_-

i dont use it i only have it because its the only way to get decent internet is with a bundle

I have been thinking about this recently, people like yourself that are forced to buy a product they neither want nor need and isn't intrinsically linked to internet performance. 

One of the definitions of anti trust is forcing a consumer to purchase a product that isn't directly required by tying it to an otherwise independent service/product.

Why haven't these ISP's been done for anti trust?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I have been thinking about this recently, people like yourself that are forced to buy a product they neither want nor need and isn't intrinsically linked to internet performance. 

One of the definitions of anti trust is forcing a consumer to purchase a product that isn't directly required by tying it to an otherwise independent service/product.

Why haven't these ISP's been done for anti trust?

Because they know how to fill the right pockets to keep themselves out of harms way.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

Because they know how to fill the right pockets to keep themselves out of harms way.

too bloody right!

Unfortunately I know, academically I know,  cognitively I know, emotionally I know.  It just pisses me off because it's a form of corporate dictator ship. And if I don't say something I am supporting the ideal.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

The FCC makes this sound like something good but if it were don't you think at least one involved party would like it? If this actually accomplishes what the FCC claims and gives online streaming services a greater chance of grabbing content from the broadcasters don't you think the broadcasters would enjoy selling to a new customer or the streaming service enjoy providing a new service to their own customers? I mean, I can see NBC being upset since they're owned by Comcast but why on earth would Discovery, ABC, CBS, Fox, Apple, Microsoft and Amazon all be lobbying against this?

I'm obviously biased since I don't trust the FCC to begin with but it just seems questionable when people who the FCC claims will be able to make more money from this are not only against it but actively spending money to oppose it.