42" 4k display with freesync ~ 800 dollars - the korean off brands are coming and gsync won't be able to play

Sammael

http://www.overclock.net/t/1554580/got-a-wasabi-mango-4k-42-korean-ips-monitor-what-tests-to-run/550#post_24201158

http://www.amazon.com/WASABI-MANGO-UHD420-Real-HDMI/dp/B00YA5IZS0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437540744&sr=8-1&keywords=Wasabi+mango+uhd420&tag=hardfocom-20

You can start there with the confirmation that some of the newer versions of that display are able to have a firmware update to enable freesync.  And apparently, it works!

The bigger story here is that the korean off brand freesync 4k displays are coming.  That means cheaper by hundreds of dollars compared to a competing gsync display because I don't ever expect to see gsync on a korean off brand display due to nvidia wanting to control the universe and take their cut.

I look forward to 2016 when we see more of these pop up, where system builds of the lower process gpus from nvidia/amd have cards that can ACTUALLY drive 4k on a single card but going with nvidia means you defacto have to shell out hundreds of dollars more to get variable refresh rates.  Even if pascal is 5-10% faster than arctic islands, hundreds of dollars cheaper for virtually the same performance with a freesync display is pretty damn compelling.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

I look forward to 2016 when we see more of these pop up, where system builds of the lower process gpus from nvidia/amd have cards that can ACTUALLY drive 4k on a single card 

They already can

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

They already can

Not really, to get consistent 60fps results you need more than a single card with some games.  That need will greatly diminish with next years cards.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

Dat rating doe.

sample size of two, need a bigger sample size.  But like all of these off brands, some caution is advised.

and now jerry will be able to afford 3x 4K panels :P

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

I'm just going to sit over here all relaxed...

Take+all+of+my+money+just+just+take+it+_

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

That means cheaper by hundreds of dollars compared to a competing gsync display because I don't ever expect to see gsync on a korean off brand display due to nvidia wanting to control the universe and take their cut.

At least some one controls if the adaptive refresh rate is correctly implemented.

42"? No thanks lol

what? too small?

what? too small?

too big ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Not really, to get consistent 60fps results you need more than a single card with some games.  That need will greatly diminish with next years cards.

That's your opinion. Single cards are very much capable of driving 4K. 

Some particularly demanding games can be tweaked with minimal quality loss for a healthy increase in framerate. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

I wish there was a 40" monitor ips with freesync. 42" is a little bit too big. 40" 4k would be perfect with a 27" 1440p monitor.

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

This will for sure make a good TV to use because I will be able to use DP. Don't want to spend $5,000 for a TV just for DP, make no sense for me to spend that. Only TV I know that has DP is Panasonic.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

Aren't these monitors made from rejected panels? And I don't think you have the guarantee that it will work perfectly. 

'Make sure to wear a wool sweater and to stand on a carpet while working on PC's' -Linus 2015

This will for sure make a good TV to use because I will be able to use DP. Don't want to spend $5,000 for a TV just for DP, make no sense for me to spend that. Only TV I know that has DP is Panasonic.

and doesn't have unnecessary "smart" functions, manufacturers pushing smart tv's so hard we will end up having to use bigass monitors as tv's

and doesn't have unnecessary "smart" functions, manufacturers pushing smart tv's so hard we will end up having to use bigass monitors as tv's

That's a potential downside.  Currently, the only way to get 4k streaming content from services like netflix is to use the built in locked down smart tv app versions of the service.  They don't seem to  WANT to allow 4k content over hdmi 2.0 or displayport 1.2 because that might mean using a computer to view the content and computers are not locked down.  Note there are essentially ZERO 4k torrents of netflix shows, because no one has access to them.... Not that I would ever know what kinds of torrents are available... that would be wrong.

I'll be waiting until at least 120Hz IPS large panels. 32"+ would be great.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Korean 3440x1440 with freesync, please.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

That's a potential downside.  Currently, the only way to get 4k streaming content from services like netflix is to use the built in locked down smart tv app versions of the service.  They don't seem to  WANT to allow 4k content over hdmi 2.0 or displayport 1.2 because that might mean using a computer to view the content and computers are not locked down.  Note there are essentially ZERO 4k torrents of netflix shows, because no one has access to them.... Not that I would ever know what kinds of torrents are available... that would be wrong.

nvidia shield

I did not know that, but there's no netflix in my country so there's that

Display port <3 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Apparently that TV is utter trash.

Also, the fact it'll likely have up to 5 dead pixels is a huge turn off.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

At least some one controls if the adaptive refresh rate is correctly implemented.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

Wow, this post. Fanboys...

That's your opinion. Single cards are very much capable of driving 4K. 

Some particularly demanding games can be tweaked with minimal quality loss for a healthy increase in framerate. 

If you have to lose visual quality whats the point?

If you have to lose visual quality whats the point?

You couldn't discern the two (full and reduced graphics) in a double blind test. By visual quality, I mostly mean eye candy.