42" 4k display with freesync ~ 800 dollars - the korean off brands are coming and gsync won't be able to play

Sammael

If you have to lose visual quality whats the point?

You're talking about not using Antialiasing. Firstly Antialiasing is a compromise anyway -- you lose visual fidelity and particularly particle effects by blurring pixels even if it's to remove jaggies, but more than anything you're also talking about a pixel density such that there isn't much of a point. Even 1080p on a 40" TV from  a reasonable distance doesn't benefit that much from AA.

You're talking about not using Antialiasing. Firstly Antialiasing is a compromise anyway -- you lose visual fidelity and particularly particle effects by blurring pixels even if it's to remove jaggies, but more than anything you're also talking about a pixel density such that there isn't much of a point. Even 1080p on a 40" TV from  a reasonable distance doesn't benefit that much from AA.

I wasn't talking about AA. If I was talking about AA I would have mentioned AA.

Weird product: People using it as TV wouldn't care about display port or freesync and it's too unwieldy for most desktop set ups. Like I could fit it in my desk but I wouldn't be able to fit a secondary monitor so that's a big no no

-------

Current Rig

-------

You couldn't discern the two (full and reduced graphics) in a double blind test. By visual quality, I mostly mean eye candy.

Personally I'd rather run at a lower resolution with all the eye candy on. I paired a 144hz 1080p monitor with a 980 instead of a 4k panel for that reason. If I could afford it I'd replace the 980 with a ti or TX at this resolution.

I wasn't talking about AA. If I was talking about AA I would have mentioned AA.

You are because a 980 Ti is capable of maxing all but a couple of games without AA.

Weird product: People using it as TV wouldn't care about display port or freesync and it's too unwieldy for most desktop set ups. Like I could fit it in my desk but I wouldn't be able to fit a secondary monitor so that's a big no no

Put a Fury X in a HTPC and plug it into this and you could have a sick 4K couch gaming experience.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

Wow, this post. Fanboys...

That's all you have to say?

Don't you know that fixed refresh rate panels are quite common?

I don't know about you guys but there is a huge difference in quality between a $4000 panel and $800 panel.  Forget all the other features they might throw at it, they won't improve a dull patchy image.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

You are because a 980 Ti is capable of maxing all but a couple of games without AA.

Uh-huh. Including all the Gameworks effects in games like Far Cry 4 and Witcher 3? At at least 60FPS?

Uh-huh. Including all the Gameworks effects in games like Far Cry 4 and Witcher 3? At at least 60FPS?

It says all but a couple of games, 99% of everything else will run in 4k 60 Ultra,  there are maybe a handful of AAA games you might have to run on High ...which is perfectly reasonable 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Personally I'd rather run at a lower resolution with all the eye candy on. I paired a 144hz 1080p monitor with a 980 instead of a 4k panel for that reason. If I could afford it I'd replace the 980 with a ti or TX at this resolution.

Keep in mind I never said eye candy has to be turned off entirely; there are settings like ambient occlusion and post-processing that can be turned down a notch and make very little difference in fidelity. Anti-aliasing is basically redundant at 4K as well.

I question whether you have first-hand experience with 4K gaming. I would say the sheer pixel density of 4K makes it a unanimous preference over lower res (e.g. 1080p) with maxed settings. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

It says all but a couple of games, 99% of everything else will run in 4k 60 Ultra, there are maybe a handful of AAA games you might have to run on High ...which is perfectly reasonable

Exactly. And that's only a couple of effects at High and the rest Ultra, too, not even everything down to the High preset. Eg in Watch Dogs The difference between the highest and second highest Ambient Occlusion setting is the difference between 60 and 40 fps.

Exactly. And that's only a couple of effects at High and the rest Ultra, too, not even everything down to the High preset. Eg in Watch Dogs The difference between the highest and second highest Ambient Occlusion setting is the difference between 60 and 40 fps.

Yep and at 4k some effects are just not particularly noticeable 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I think the majority of people using a 42" 4k screen as a monitor would use just the one and not try multi monitor setups.  That's kind of the point having so much real estate coupled with the size.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

It can max older games that are less graphically intensive.  You want to rely on that going forward?

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/06/15/nvidia_geforce_gtx_980_ti_video_card_gpu_review/9#.VbCnvbNVhBc

None of those are shining performance examples at 4k with the 980ti.  Sure you can drop the settings down, but you can do that with anything, the point is that for 4k, at BEST it barely passes muster.  2015 is a terrible year to spend money on a single gpu for 4k gaming.  2016 is the year for that.  Anyone buying a 980ti thinking it will be some great 4k gaming experience chose wrong and wasted their money.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

Crysis 3 is another good example of this. Here two screenshots I took of Crysis 3 @ 4K with my Titan X. First picture is maxed (no AA) and the second is maxed with reduced shading. 43 vs 66 fps...

fTmbYPb.jpg

oXY8LEP.jpg

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Crysis 3 is another good example of this. Here two screenshots I took of Crysis 3 @ 4K with my Titan X. First picture is maxed (no AA) and the second is maxed with reduced shading. 43 vs 66 fps...

It can max older games that are less graphically intensive.  You want to rely on that going forward?

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/06/15/nvidia_geforce_gtx_980_ti_video_card_gpu_review/9#.VbCnvbNVhBc

None of those are shining performance examples at 4k with the 980ti.  Sure you can drop the settings down, but you can do that with anything, the point is that for 4k, at BEST it barely passes muster.  2015 is a terrible year to spend money on a single gpu for 4k gaming.  2016 is the year for that.  Anyone buying a 980ti thinking it will be some great 4k gaming experience chose wrong and wasted their money.

Crysis 3. Less Graphically intensive. OK THEN.  WHATEVER YOU SAY.

The point is that dropping one setting down from ultra to very high makes basically no difference and that's all it takes in the most obscenely intensive games -- everything else is fine. I don't know how many people with personal experience of running 4K you are going to ignore, but so far it's at least three.

Crysis 3. Less Graphically intensive. OK THEN.  WHATEVER YOU SAY.

The point is that dropping one setting down from ultra to very high makes basically no difference and that's all it takes in the most obscenely intensive games -- everything else is fine. I don't know how many people with personal experience of running 4K you are going to ignore, but so far it's at least three.

even at the lower settings it just barely crosses the 60fps mark, maybe I expect more headroom for spending something like 650-700 dollars on a gpu than just barely hitting 60fps in most games if you turn settings down (sometimes with not much of a visual hit).  And that's the average, it's the dips that are the most jarring and that has got to be ugly.  You want MORE headroom than the 60fps target on average not just barely  hitting it IF you dial things back and don't bother trying to play certain titles that are badly optimized.  Two cards gives you that headroom.  Next year a single car will give you that headroom.  People who have already dropped the money on the cards are content it's the best they can get at the time, but don't mistake that as anything other than settling for the current tech.   This is not an ideal performance level for 4k.  It's just not.  And showing that some people are content with the state of the state does not negate that.  a 980ti is NOT enough to comfortably drive 4k games alone.  It's the best single gpu you can get for the money, and that is still not good enough to hit the target.  EVERYONE without money to burn with a 780/290 gpu equivalent or above ought to wait until next years offerings in 2016 if they intend to get into 4k gaming.  Obviously, if you do have money to burn, then you'd still be better off going 980ti sli or dual furys.

Considering how identical they look, id say the choice is clear.

That seems to be the case with many games nowadays. They look very good on medium already and then are hard to distinguish between medium and high settings, unless you LOOK for specific things... which is - just lol.

Basically to have the best looking game you want to play on as high a resolution you can with fps close to 100 (or60 if the game is coded poorly). Ingame effects are secondary.

That's all you have to say?

Don't you know that fixed refresh rate panels are quite common?

Now I'm confused. I thought that you were defending G-Sync.

42"? No thanks lol

Windows 10 with quad snap will actual increase usability of 4K on large displays in my opinion. It will essentially let you have 4 fullscreen 1080p programs open at once, which is kinda neat.

CPU:  Intel i7-4790K      Cooler:  Noctua NH-D14     GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1070 TI MINI     Motherboard:  ASUS Z97 Gryphon     RAM:  32GB G Skill Trident X     

Storage: 2x 512GB Samsung 850 EVO (RAID 0) / 2TB Seagate Barracuda     PSU: 850W EVGA SuperNova G2     Case: Fractal Design Node 804

Windows 10 with quad snap will actual increase usability of 4K on large displays in my opinion. It will essentially let you have 4 fullscreen 1080p programs open at once, which is kinda neat.

OMFG! I can finally play 4 player co-op in the room without issue. Completely forgot about that.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

OMFG! I can finally play 4 player co-op in the room without issue. Completely forgot about that.

My personal favorite usecase is 4 virtual machines running FTL, no pausing allowed, good luck. (FTL is a roguelike strategy game sorta thing in a spaceship for those who don't know)

CPU:  Intel i7-4790K      Cooler:  Noctua NH-D14     GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1070 TI MINI     Motherboard:  ASUS Z97 Gryphon     RAM:  32GB G Skill Trident X     

Storage: 2x 512GB Samsung 850 EVO (RAID 0) / 2TB Seagate Barracuda     PSU: 850W EVGA SuperNova G2     Case: Fractal Design Node 804

Well this is something xD
I just can't wait until we get higher refresh rate on 4K 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I think the majority of people using a 42" 4k screen as a monitor would use just the one and not try multi monitor setups.  That's kind of the point having so much real estate coupled with the size

real state isn't everything: sometimes you need some content full screen and some content windowed to the side which is just not possible on a single monitor

-------

Current Rig

-------

even at the lower settings it just barely crosses the 60fps mark, maybe I expect more headroom for spending something like 650-700 dollars on a gpu than just barely hitting 60fps in most games if you turn settings down (sometimes with not much of a visual hit).  And that's the average, it's the dips that are the most jarring and that has got to be ugly.  You want MORE headroom than the 60fps target on average not just barely  hitting it IF you dial things back and don't bother trying to play certain titles that are badly optimized.  Two cards gives you that headroom.  Next year a single car will give you that headroom.  People who have already dropped the money on the cards are content it's the best they can get at the time, but don't mistake that as anything other than settling for the current tech.   This is not an ideal performance level for 4k.  It's just not.  And showing that some people are content with the state of the state does not negate that.  a 980ti is NOT enough to comfortably drive 4k games alone.  It's the best single gpu you can get for the money, and that is still not good enough to hit the target.  EVERYONE without money to burn with a 780/290 gpu equivalent or above ought to wait until next years offerings in 2016 if they intend to get into 4k gaming.  Obviously, if you do have money to burn, then you'd still be better off going 980ti sli or dual furys.

Literally everything you are saying has already been contradicted by people who actually know what they are talking about. I don't know what to say to you. Take your fingers out of your ears and pay more attention.