utorrent Virus?

jos

Several anti-virus vendors have begun blocking uTorrent after identifying the software as malicious or potentially dangerous. In addition, Google Chrome is currently blocking several pages on uTorrent's official website. According to the reports the popular file-sharing application is linked to riskware and trojans.

The anti-virus scans associate the uTorrent.exe file with Trojan.Win32.Generic!BT and the controversial OpenCandy bundling software. 

When attempting to download the latest stable release of the torrent client, Chrome flags the software as malicious and blocks the download, although this only appears to happen sporadically. Google is also actively blocking several pages that link to uTorrent and other BitTorrent Inc. software.
According to Google, parts of the uTorrent website contain “harmful programs.” 
The same “harmful software” warning from Google also prevented millions of people from accessing popular torrent sites earlier this month.
A Google spokesperson informed us that this was the result of the company’s increased efforts to block programs that make “unexpected changes” to people’s computers. “Google Safe Browsing’s ability to detect deceptive software has steadily improved,” the company explained in a recent blog post.
“In the coming weeks, these detection improvements will become more noticeable in Chrome: users will see more warnings about unwanted software than ever before,” Google adds.These and the other uTorrent threat reports all seem to be triggered by bundled third-party software bundled. There is no indication or evidence that the BitTorrent client itself is harmful.

I am confused is it real or corporate scare tactics...anyway you can choose not to install offers..

They did find a mining script or something in it a while ago.

Honestly not surprised.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

People still use Utorrent....?

> it's bloated...and has been for a while.

Still using Frostwire/Limewire/Bearshare/WinMX?

:)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I stopped using utorrent once they fucked it up with ads, I am using qBittorrent and it works fine for me (also I avoid my ISP's speed zone limit with it huehue)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

utorrent 2.2 was the last relevant version. It has become shit since then.

When in doubt, re-format.

Its real, I monitored it on my own pc once and saw software from one of the ads installing in the background.  So, I decided to install a website blocker and it kept blocking malicious ips from the ads.  FROM GERMANY AND RUSSIA?!?!  

WTF?!!?  

I firmly beileve it is a virus,  I'm always using Qbittorrent. 

Tixati is super lightweight, and gets me full speeds :)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I stopped using utorrent once they fucked it up with ads, I am using qBittorrent and it works fine for me (also I avoid my ISP's speed zone limit with it huehue)

Nl0BJsC.jpg

huehuehuehue

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Bit and U torrent files are filled with viruses.

FACEPALM.png

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

FACEPALM.png

Let me correct that *MOST of torrent files downloaded through bit or u torrent have viruses*

yes, utorrent big virus, uninstall now

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

It's a common thing to add extra "free" stuff in torrents. Make sure that what you are downloading and sharing is safe.

Let me correct that *MOST of torrent files downloaded through bit or u torrent have viruses*

Most files are tv shows, music and movies which are not viruses.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

TIXATI FTW

tixati_flurry_icon_by_kalca-d7i52da.png

I thought I was one of the very very few...

Now there is at least two!!!

Tixaxi is not popular compared to mainstream offerings for no particular reason, IMO It's good it's not popular, it wont get bought and bloated anytime soon :)

I wouldn't be surprised if the bundled software contains malware. But uTorrent itself... they're really desperate for money I guess. I swicthed to Deluge quite a long time ago, ever since I started downloading to my server instead of a local hard drive.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

I thought I was one of the very very few...

Now there is at least two!!!

Tixaxi is not popular compared to mainstream offerings for no particular reason, IMO It's good it's not popular, it wont get bought and bloated anytime soon :)

yes and i look the older style of it.

Whether it's true or not, this is one of the reasons why if there's an open source alternative, you should probably use that. If open sourced software tries to do any funny business, they'll get called out on it easily and you'll know to stay away from it. With closed sourced software it's a bit more difficult...

AKA use Deluge

COMIC SANS

Tixati is super lightweight, and gets me full speeds :)

Tixati was actually the only bittorrent software that I tried (qbittorrent and transmission) that could actually load the .torrent file for the 400 gig Hacking Team leak, so it gains a +1 from me.

Although quite regularly it uses >1 gig of ram (out of 16). Don't know if it's because of the 400+ gig torrent, or what.

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

Yes it is filled with malware, avoid it, utorrent and bittorrent are just scams nowdays.Their days of glory are long gone, if you want a decent utorent use an old version i think 3.2.1 or 2.x something was decent, else you have qbittorent master race or transmision/deluge alternative.

no one should use utorrent. this has been covered before. qBittorrent has sort of taken it's place.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I'VE BEEN USING 3.4.3 and it's been fine for a while, nothing wrong with it :L So i don't know where all this information is coming from.

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS